Please Suggest Simulation Software for Laser-Photon/Tissue Interaction & 2D Biophoton Imaging

boble...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2018, 6:57:09 PM9/4/18
to Virtual Photonics
To whom it may concern,

I am trying to develop an advanced undergraduate electrical engineering course that combines the theory/design and use of Medical Lasers with Biophotonic Imaging. The commonality between those two topics, of course, is laser-/photon-tissue interaction. The first part of the course will be on basic photonics and laser theory/operation. Much of the course's lecture materials have already been developed. The second part of the course will be on biophoton production and 2D imaging (ultraweak photon emission). I have studied these fields for a relatively short time, but am an EE (MS) and a bioengineer (PhD), so putting the course together should not be that difficult. Please tell me, what  Open-Source Software I can use to give students hands-on experience (lab sessions) that 1) will help integrate the two topics well and 2) is thoroughly supported by instructional materials and/or a book? Maybe I need 2 or more Open-Source Softwares?

Best regards,

Bob

Carole Hayakawa

Sep 5, 2018, 11:32:35 AM9/5/18
to Virtual Photonics
Dear Bob,

Thank you for your interest in our software.  We have hosted 6 annual short courses in Computational Biophotonics that provide lectures and lab work that utilize our software.  If you go to the Education tab of our website you can see a listing of the short courses in the left panel:
For example, clicking on "Short Course 2018" will show you the schedule for this year's short course, the lectures we gave in pdf format, the labs that expose ideas presented in the lectures, and a link to the GUI that is used in the labs.

All of our software is open source and hosted on Github.  On the Software tab of our website you can see the different software components we develop:
The Documentation tab provides more details about the software and on the Developers tab there is a link to our Github site.

We are always interested in the institutions, academic or in industry, that are using our software.  Would you be able to tell us about where your course will be taught?

Let me know if you have additional questions.
Best regards,
Carole

Bob LeAnder

Sep 5, 2018, 2:22:20 PM9/5/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Carole!

Thanks, so much, for your prompt reply. And, thanks for the information on your short courses and open-source software.

The institution where I'll be teaching the course and using your labs and software is Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.

Thank you, for being willing to answer additional questions.

With regards,

Bob
--
Robert LeAnder, Ph.D.
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering

Bob LeAnder

Sep 12, 2018, 4:53:42 PM9/12/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Carole!

Hope life is treating you well!

I'm trying to design a graduate electrical engineering course that in the beginning, deals with biophotonics in general, and uses your labs, but will later branch off into a focus on the topic of ultraweak human spontaneous photonic emissions (UPEs). The texts that I will use in that focus are:

1. Biophoton technology in energy and vitality diagnostics Paperback – 2017, by Yu Yan & Eduard van Wijk and Roeland van Wijk (Author)
and

2. Light in Shaping Life: Biophotons in Biology and Medicine by Roeland van Wijk (Author)

The labs in the latter part of the course will focus on the use of a mobile table-top, photomultiplier tube device/ccd camera (see page 4 in the attachment).
Also, see:

What general book on biophotonics would you suggest that connects your lecture materials and labs to the later focus on ultraweak human biophotonic emission?

Best wishes!

Bob
--

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:32 AM, Carole Hayakawa <carole.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Measuring the Human Ultra-Weak Photon Emission Distribution Using an Electron-Multiplying, Charge-Coupled Device as a Sensor.pdf

Carole Hayakawa

Sep 12, 2018, 7:08:27 PM9/12/18
to Virtual Photonics
Dear Bob,

We have an extensive list of references on our Education->Short Course pages.  For example, on page:

about 1/2-way down the page under "Resources" there is a link on the line: "A list of Short Course References can be found here."
At the top of this list there are 10 general references, G1-G10.  Of these the one that I think is the most comprehensive is
[G.10] A.J. Welch and M.J.C. van Gemert (eds). Optical-Themal Response of Laser-Irradiated Tissue, Plenum Press, NY 1995.

This book is hard to come by though and if new, can be very expensive.  I found it on Amazon:

On this Amazon page, there is a link to a newer edition of this book ("There is a newer edition of this item:").  If you click on that link you can look inside and see the TOC and a few other pages.  This might give you an idea of if it suits your class or not.

Let me know if you'd prefer another text suggestion and I'll call upon the opinion of my colleagues.
Best,
Carole

Bob LeAnder

Sep 12, 2018, 7:37:42 PM9/12/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Carole!

Thanks for replying so soon.

I'll check out that list of general resources and the book you suggested.

Thanks, a heap, Carole!

Bob
--
Robert LeAnder, Ph.D
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Campus Box 1801
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1801

Carole Hayakawa

Sep 12, 2018, 8:28:43 PM9/12/18
to Virtual Photonics
Hi Carole,

Another good teaching reference is "Biomedical Optics Principles and Imaging" by Lihong V Wang and Hsin-I Wu.
Here is the Amazon link

Best
Janaka

Bob LeAnder

Sep 12, 2018, 8:39:34 PM9/12/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Carole.

Take care!

Bob

Robert LeAnder, PhD.

Bob LeAnder

Sep 12, 2018, 8:40:06 PM9/12/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Janaka!

Thank you, very much!

Bob

Robert LeAnder, PhD.

Bob LeAnder

Sep 18, 2018, 1:58:20 PM9/18/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon, Carole.

I tried to download the 2018 Short Course videos by clicking where the text says, "The complete list of Short Course Videoand Lecture Materials will be available here after the event."

Am I allowed to view those? If so, clicking takes me to the Youtube link,  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIyezmVUuITZBzv0yAtWRBqTI37h9KUEN

where the page message says: "The playlist does not exist."

How may I view the videos, if they are available to me?

Best!

Bob

Carole Hayakawa

Sep 18, 2018, 2:36:46 PM9/18/18
to Virtual Photonics
Dear Bob,

I'm sorry to report that the videos of our most recent Short Courses have not yet been posted to YouTube.  However, you can click on that link for the Short Course in 2014 website and there will be a list of YouTube videos shown.  I think 2013 also has videos.

I'll check on my side to see what the plan is for the more recent Short Course Videos.

Best,
Carole

Bob LeAnder

Sep 18, 2018, 4:08:29 PM9/18/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Carole.

Warm regards,

Bob

Bob LeAnder

Dec 6, 2018, 11:09:25 PM12/6/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Carole.

We were working with the Short Courses. The link doesn't take us there anymore. How can we retrieve them?

Sincerely,

Bob

Lisa Malenfant

Dec 7, 2018, 2:41:08 PM12/7/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

We are currently working to get our education site working again. In the meantime, here is a link to our YouTube channel where you can see the videos:

This link will take you to the lectures from 2017:

Here is a link to a copy of the labs from our last short course:

I hope this helps until we can get our site back up and working.

Thanks,
Lisa

Bob LeAnder

Dec 7, 2018, 3:22:01 PM12/7/18
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Lisa.

Thanks for telling what happened to the site and the alternate links.

Appreciate it!

Bob

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:41 PM Lisa Malenfant <li...@laromeo.com> wrote:
Hi Bob,

We are currently working to get our education site working again. In the meantime, here is a link to our YouTube channel where you can see the videos:

and here is a link to a copy of the labs from our last short course:

I hope this helps until we can get our site back up and working.

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa Malenfant

Feb 9, 2019, 12:55:56 PM2/9/19
to Virtual Photonics
Hi Bob,

I just wanted to let you know that our education site is back on line and all content is available.

We have also updated our project site. Here are the URLs:

Project site:

Education site:

Thanks,
Lisa

Bob LeAnder

Feb 21, 2019, 2:50:35 PM2/21/19
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, so much, Lisa!

Bob

Bob LeAnder

Dec 5, 2019, 6:07:45 PM12/5/19
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lisa,

Hope you've been well. Also, hope you had a great Thanksgiving break. Looks like Christmas Break is around the corner!

Two graduate independent study students and I are trying to assemble a lab book and we are testing those labs. We don't see the Focused-Beam Simulation Tool that allows students to do the Focused-Beam Simulation Experiment. Would you please direct us to where we can find it?

Sincerely,

Bob

--
Robert LeAnder, PhD.
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Campus Box 1801
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1801

Bob LeAnder

Janaka

Dec 5, 2019, 8:07:26 PM12/5/19
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bob,

We haven't uploaded the Focus Beam Simulator tool because Mie data files are huge.
I  just uploaded the files to my personal Google drive. Please download them as soon as possible.
I may need to delete them to free up space.
Here is the link.

Best Regards
Janaka

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Virtual Photonics" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/virtual-photonics/CAGpUf2pKKZEJ%2BD5VT_jfuNFH_TSnvmc5%2BEA4FZwVYVVfv3tnuw%40mail.gmail.com.

Bob LeAnder

Feb 3, 2020, 12:32:02 PM2/3/20
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Janaka,

I guess I missed this email because we were finishing finals and about to go on break. My apologies.

Thank you so mch for making the Focus Beam Simulator tool available with the Mie data files. Do you still have this available?

Sincerely,

Bob

Janaka

Feb 3, 2020, 12:44:05 PM2/3/20
to virtual-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

Yes it is still available. Please download files as soon as possible.

Best regards
Janaka