Fwd: [Open Manufacturing] Fwd: DARPA Selects Hackerspace Space Program for contract negotiation

Paul D. Fernhout

Apr 5, 2012, 6:02:13 PM4/5/12
to vir...@googlegroups.com, OpenVirgle
Someone essentially just got a half-million dollars to do OpenVirgle and
OSCOMAK:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12ZLCbfyd_7ZKgALjZcC63WUVMuNDenwTwiAmUwzz53U/edit?pli=1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZC05ncQuQXEPEWORpUNEGUJNEagOlo_Unr5bwINCxI/edit?pli=1

I wish them luck. It's a good idea. :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those thinking in terms of scarcity.

From: Jerry Isdale <isd...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Subject: [hackerspaces] DARPA Selects Hackerspace Space Program for
contract negotiation
To: dis...@lists.hackerspaces.org

My Fellow Hackers...

Today I got an email from DARPA stating that they have selected our
"Hackerspace Space Program" for contract negotiation.
Those who want to flame about taking government money can do so.. We just
wont pass any $ your way.

For those interested there is a mailing list at
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/spaceprogram

Here's the basic introduction from the tech proposal...

1. Innovation
We propose a HSP organization based around the coordination of Hackerspaces
(HS) worldwide. This organization will enable scalable grassroots community
units collaborating with each other and with interested partners around the
world to carry out activities dedicated to the enhancement of humanity�s
survivability. This is accomplished through the Hackerspaces serving
as local hubs for community education, innovation and self-sufficiency,
whereas HSP will encourage, support and coordinate activities that could
not be accomplished by any one or few Hackerspaces such as
expanding humanity�s reach and presence beyond Earth orbit.

2. Results
We will create an important platform for local communities, young people
and the general public to get engaged with space travel and exploration.
We�re in a unique position to engage wide interest, support broad
involvement and apply an extensive set of problem-solving skills and
capabilities.

This platform will be one step in pushing mankind�s limits to help us
survive and thrive in space, as well as improving our chances here on Earth
by spurring the innovation needed to solve global challenges,
resource constraints and the need to get along in an increasingly
crowded environment.

YES!!!
and omfg - how do we pull this off?

Jerry Isdale