Virgin Australia aims to provide their customers flexibility for booking changes when required. However, rules still apply depending on the type of airfare purchased for your flight. Name changes come with stricter policies, while date or time modifications incur set change fees but are possible in many cases. Understanding Virgin's policies for flight changes can ensure you make appropriate bookings and handle revisions smoothly when needed.
Virgin Australia Name Changes
A fundamental aspect of Virgin Australia's policy is that name changes or corrections are not permitted under any circumstances following ticket purchase, regardless of airfare type booked. The customer's full name printed on the original e-ticket confirmation must accurately match the traveler's official identification documents that will be presented at check-in and boarding.
If you require a booking under another name from what was originally purchased, you will have to fully cancel the ticket (subject to fare rules for refund eligibility) and make an entirely new reservation. This also means potentially higher fares if booking last minute, the desired flight is now more expensive, or discounted allotments are no longer available. While the inflexibility around name changes aims to uphold security and prevent fraud, it can certainly disrupt travel plans when unforeseen situations arise requiring ticketing under someone other than the original passenger.
There are a few exceptional scenarios where Virgin Australia may assist with name issues if reasonable evidence supports the genuineness of a passenger's request, though never guarantees flexibility:
● Legal name changes pre-departure (e.g. marriage certificate)
● Incorrect spellings/typos that would prevent ID document matches
● Hospitalisation meaning the booked traveler can't fly
In these cases, the airline may allow cancellation without a fee and provide a voucher. But rebooking would still need to reflect updated passenger credentials.
Virgin Australia: Date and Time
Unlike names, Virgin Australia does facilitate flight date, routing or time alterations on bookings – for an applicable change fee plus any fare difference. Importantly, rules vary by the type of airfare purchased:
Fully Flexible Fares: Virgin Australia
As the premium-priced, refundable fare class, full changes/refunds are permitted for a fee.
● Date/time can be altered without restriction on when travel must occur. As long as the original sectors remain unchanged, any date works.
● Changes allowed up to 60 minutes before scheduled departure.
● $50 fee per passenger per change request
● Fare difference payable if new flight cost is higher
Virgin Australia: Flexible Economy Class Fares
Mid-range fares permitting partial refundability/changes
● Each date/time change allowed for a $100 fee per passenger
● New travel must commence within 12 months from original booking
● Rebooking is only possible before the scheduled departure time
● Potential fare difference if new flight exceeds original ticket value
Fixed Saver and Red e-Deal Fares:
Strictly non-refundable and non-changeable budget fares
● No flight changes allowed after purchase confirmation
● Cancellation results in forfeiting the full fare paid
Virgin Australia Flight Change
To handle booking modifications, customers can access online management via Virgin Australia's website and mobile app, or telephone the customer contact center.
Virgin Australia Name & Date Process
The self-service booking tool allows passengers to independently review, select and pay for alternative flight options if available under the fare rules.
● Log into Virgin Australia online booking portal
● Access the "Manage My Booking" link
● Click the "Change Flight" button and enter new preferences
● Select and pay for newly offered flights
Some advantages include:
● Rapid quotes, flight availability, and selections shown
● Convenient out-of-hours changes snarling
● Payment processing for change fees and extra fare costs
● Instant confirmation of amended bookings
Virgin Australia Live Person
Alternatively, Virgin's customer service teams can handle rebooking requests, with phone-based support fees applicable.
● Call center open 7 days weekly, extended hours
● Discuss change needs with an airline representative
● Staff access internal inventory for suitable alternatives
● Take payment for penalties and additional fares
● New e-ticket confirmation issued remotely
While phone assistance is available, additional carrier fees make online self-service a cheaper and often quicker solution.
Using Partner Airlines
Customers can also utilize partner airlines Air New Zealand, Delta or Etihad for indirect connections to Virgin Australia flights. Minimum fare rules still apply when changing partner flights associated with Virgin Australia ticketed travel.
In closing, Virgin Australia permits flight date, routing, and schedule modifications as standard procedure, though name changes remain strictly prohibited post-purchase. Rules enable flexibility for passengers needing reasonable itinerary adjustments, however varying fees and conditions apply depending on initial airfare booked.