Installer repackaged with Patchlevel 2!

RACooper

Dec 17, 2008, 10:59:48 PM12/17/08
to Visual IRC
This is Visual IRC (ViRC), packaged with patchlevel 2 in a full
installer. Done with permission of the author, and I decided to post
it here in case anyone else found it useful. The only changes were to
incorporate the patched files that were previously distributed
separately, and to replace the message board url with the Google
Groups url.

http://www.noidea.us/download.php?f=virc200pl2.exe

Alesis

Dec 29, 2008, 1:14:14 PM12/29/08
to Visual IRC
Mirrored at http://files.zzillezz.net/virc200pl2.exe

Feel free to add to downloadlinks.

zzillezz

Michael Secord

Dec 29, 2008, 1:20:14 PM12/29/08
to vi...@googlegroups.com
And another Mirror here:

http://www.gizmokid2005.com/files/virc200pl2.exe

Again, feel free to use.

-Michael

50srefugee

Jul 18, 2012, 1:05:44 AM7/18/12
to vi...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:59:48 PM UTC-6, RACooper wrote:
This is Visual IRC (ViRC), packaged with patchlevel 2 in a full
installer
 Just downloaded this, and Norton detects a threat, WS.Reputation.1, and automatically removes the file.
The two mirrors are not operational.

Cannot find manual update instructions on v-IRC site, although I may be blind.

Not cool, folks.

Is anyone paying any attention to this app at all? Or is it an orphan?

Mr2001

Jul 18, 2012, 1:44:32 AM7/18/12
to vi...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:05:44 PM UTC-7, 50srefugee wrote:

On Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:59:48 PM UTC-6, RACooper wrote:
This is Visual IRC (ViRC), packaged with patchlevel 2 in a full
installer
 Just downloaded this, and Norton detects a threat, WS.Reputation.1, and automatically removes the file.
The two mirrors are not operational.

There's no virus in the file, but apparently Norton has a "feature" that labels any program it doesn't see very often as a threat called WS.Reputation.1. Here's an explanation and workaround:

Personally, I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials.

Cannot find manual update instructions on v-IRC site, although I may be blind.

To update manually, first install ViRC 2.0, then extract the 2.0pl2 files into the installation folder, overwriting the files with the same names.

Not cool, folks.

Is anyone paying any attention to this app at all? Or is it an orphan?

ViRC has not been under active development for a long time - the last true release was in 2004. I have less free time for hobbyist development these days, and since I don't use IRC anymore, I spend it on other projects. ViRC is open source (GPL) and the code is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/visualirc/ in case anyone cares to pick it up, but so far no one has asked.

Mr2001