What it Means when VoiceOver says the word, "Coupon" in the latest versions of iOS

1 view

M. Taylor

Jan 4, 2023, 8:51:43 AM1/4/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

In a previous thread, someone mentioned that she / he sometimes hears
VoiceOver say the word, "Coupon" when performing various task, via
VoiceOver, in the latest versions of the OS.

It did not occur to me until yesterday but, I too, have encountered this
word being spoken on my 14 with iOS 16.2.

Now keep in mind that in no way am I speaking on behalf of Apple; in short,
this is just my opinion. Said opinion, being the following:

The word "coupon" has no practical user meaning for anyone using the OS.
This announcement is happening because somewhere in the programming
language, a display handler is mistakenly being announced by VoiceOver.

Now that I think about it, I encountered this announcement very early on but
immediately dismissed it because I could tell that it was randomly announced
during various screen display transitions.

It is just a VoiceOver programming glitch in so far as the developers
inadvertently failed to suppress VoiceOver from announcing this particular
behind-the-scenes function.

So, not to worry, this has happened in the past and will, from time-to-time
happen in the future.

Again, this is just my opinion, nothing more.

Mark

M. Taylor

Jan 4, 2023, 11:46:09 AM1/4/23
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

As a former professional programmer, I would suggest that the word "Coupon" in this instance, is referring to a Facetime security coupon and / or "Token", depending upon the state of the argument being passed through to the function.

Again, just a guess.

Mark

Jan 4, 2023, 5:12:28 PM1/4/23
to 'Carol Pearson' via VIPhone, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I actually believe what is happening, is that the image detection/text detection is being too verbose at times. It is seeing the layout of text and images as a coupon. I have seen this and have asked my sighted wife to look at it for me. Sometimes in apps or even in the iOS operating system there are little images, not unlike emojis, that make the OS interface “pretty” for sighted users. Sometimes Voiceover thinks it’s smarter than it has to be and it announces this as a coupon, and I have found the only way to stop it from happening is to turn off the text detection in the Voiceover Recognition section of Voiceover settings.

Ed