Looks like some talking clocks no longer work in iOS 15

Kevin Minor

Sep 21, 2021, 2:22:35 PMSep 21
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi.

I read in another message that someone no longer got the time automatically spoken with a talking clock in iOS 15. I’m also having this happen with Speaking Clock. Not sure what’s up.

Just letting people know.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

rick....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 10:51:50 AMSep 22
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I’m having the same issue here. One app that I’ve used for a long time now called Chime no longer speaks the time in IOS 15. I had it set to use a very human sounding female voice which was great.

If anyone knows of a good talking time app that uses a really good voice to speak at preset interval’s, please let me know. Thanks.

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

http://www.mail-archive.com/vip...@googlegroups.com/
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/BLAPR15MB4004DEF91C38E4FF4F072C71C3A19%40BLAPR15MB4004.namprd15.prod.outlook.com.

Richard Turner

Sep 22, 2021, 10:54:26 AMSep 22
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Rick,

I couldn’t find a way to write the Chime developer.

If you can, let us know.

That was probably the best for doing what you want and I know others who will be very sad when they update and find it no longer works.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

rick....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 10:59:52 AMSep 22
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Richard, I couldn’t find a way either. It looks like the last update was 6 years ago so hopefully we can find a good replacement.

Warmest regards

Rick Alfaro

Richard Turner

Sep 22, 2021, 11:06:58 AMSep 22
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I suspect if whatever app one tries, if it isn’t updated for iOS 15, it probably won’t work.

I’ll do some playing around.

Malcolm Parfitt

Sep 22, 2021, 11:23:00 AMSep 22
to vip...@googlegroups.com
If you want an app that will announce the time at certain intervals then take a look at:

You can select the interval in which you want announcement and the voice the app uses.  This app works with iOS15 talks when the app is quit from the App Switcher and when the device is locked.

If you want the announcement and you have an Apple Watch then turn notifications off in the Watch App for VoiceClock.

Malcolm Parfitt

Dan Yates

Sep 23, 2021, 12:09:33 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Oh man, I had gotten very accustomed to using Chime and it was fantastic. Sure hope it can be updated or something else can be recommended by someone on this list.
Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Malcolm Parfitt <mal...@parfitt1.org.uk> wrote:

If you want an app that will announce the time at certain intervals then take a look at:

Richard Turner

Sep 23, 2021, 12:21:19 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Someone recommended Voice Clock, but I cannot get it to work for me.

If anyone can figure out how to contact the Chime developer, it would be great if they would update their app, and even charge something for that update.

Sieghard Weitzel

Sep 23, 2021, 1:07:43 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

The Chime Squirl app which I am pretty sure is what people are talking about is an app I also had downloaded at one point many years ago.

I just looked it up in my purchase history and as somebody already pointed out the last time it was updated was 6 years ago which means it was possibly abandoned by the developer. However, it could also be that until now the app simply worked and there was no reason to further update it.

The developer's name is Luke Ryan Jernejcic and his website still comes up when you click on App Support and according to it he is somebody "who lives and works in Austin Texas building useful things", at least he was on April 1, 2014 when he last wrote the following:

April 01, 2014

Chime Squirrel On iPad

It is my intention to make stable apps that are useful to people. If you run into a problem, I would appreciate a quick email from you. Just use this form to get a hold of me for support.

Unfortunately the support form is not a link or maybe not any more, but for all you Twitter fans, I am not one of them, he can also be contacted there so maybe somebody will and if he gets back you can let the list know what he said..

Sep 23, 2021, 3:55:35 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard and All,

I’m currently using the Chime app with no problems.  I’ve been using this app for several years with no problems, and I love it!   Although, I’m just assuming we are talking about the same app.

Janet

Richard Turner

Sep 23, 2021, 3:59:25 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Are you on iOS 15?

If so, would you mind looking up the app developer by opening the App Store on your device, double tap on my account, purchases, my purchases, and check what it says there?

Thanks,

janet gross

Sep 23, 2021, 5:16:13 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Richard,

I’m currently having some serious problems with my pc, that is why it took me this long to respond. I forgot to mention I was on iOS 14.8, and I just looked on my XR phone, and I for the first time just seen I have a choice to download iOS 15, in which I never seen this choice before.  If I can’t use the Chime app, I won’t download the iOS 15, so thanks to all who let me know this.  When I open the Chime app under my purchases I see: developer Blacktree, version, 2.00, latest release share acode share any q r code from any apps, I’m not sure what that means though, but it gives me an option to download it, and then  Chime utilities button, age four years old, developer Blacktree, size 10mb, version history 2.0.0 this app has been updated by Apple to use the latest apple certificate, ratings review, meaning I can read the reviews.

Richard Turner

Sep 23, 2021, 5:39:31 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I suspect the app developer is out of business, so that is why many are looking for replacement apps.

Very sad, but that is the life of low-cost and/or free apps sometimes.

janet gross

Sep 23, 2021, 6:55:35 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Richard,

Why do you say you suspect the developer is out of business? I’m hearing the app is not working in iOS 15, but it still works fine for me on my XR iOS 14.8.  What I read on my phone about the app just doesn’t sound like the developer went out of business, but please correct me if I’m thinking wrong.

Richard Turner

Sep 23, 2021, 7:02:18 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Because, when you try to go to their web site, you get a page not found.
I've tried several times and the end result is they no longer are a web presence.
The app works because Apple updated it at some point because the developer had not.
Given the date of the last update, and that we now know there is a change that hourly chiming apps have to account for in iOS 15; then I am concluding the app will no longer be updated and those on iOS 15 might as well delete it.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

janet gross

Sep 23, 2021, 8:41:19 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Richard,

Ok, I had no idea of the last update, but as I went and checked out Blacktree’s web site, I now see the app was last updated July 2015 I think that is what it said. The app was created Jan 2011, and I downloaded this app Sept 2015.  I didn’t see any of this information on my phone, so I used my PC, and that is how I found this information, but their web site is still there, and they have that Sharecode app as well.  Although, I didn’t find anything in which it makes me think they might update this Chime app though.

Richard Turner

Sep 23, 2021, 8:45:42 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Alvin Ng

Sep 23, 2021, 10:18:37 PMSep 23
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Richard, in your voice clock app, check if the display notification in the setting is turn on.

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 12:03:36 AMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Janet,
What link did you use to find Blacktree?
I cannot find it anywhere.
And, as for the Voice Clock app, I thought I had done that; but I'll check again.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

Sieghard Weitzel

Sep 24, 2021, 1:25:35 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

OK, then people need to be more specific and mention the develop especially when there are apps which have names which are more or less the same. I mentioned this app because somebody else had said something about it not having been updated in 6 years which matches what I saw for the Chime Squirl app.

Sieghard Weitzel

Sep 24, 2021, 1:32:40 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi Janet,

Not updating to iOS 15 just because of a little hourly chime app of which there are many on the app store is not a solution which will work for you in the long run.

It seems very unlikely that this particular Chime app will ever be updated which means that even if you stay on iOS 14.8 for now there will come a time when either you have to get a new phone which of course will come with whatever latest version of iOS is out at the time or there will come a time in a few years when other apps which are updated on a regular bases may have iOS 15 as a minimum requirement.

If such an app is important to you explore other options and find one which has not been abandoned, believe me, eventually you have no choice and there are too many advantages in iOS 15 to make it worthwhile.

I have basically 0 issues in iOS 15 although it seems others with certain devices experience a problem with the Wallet app and I'm not sure if there are many braille issues as I am not using braille, but one thing which for me makes iOS 15 absolutely worthwhile is the fact that so far I had much better results with SIRI. I have not once asked something where SIRI said "Let me check on that" or "Just a moment" as was the case in iOS 14 and I assume this is because now pretty much all processing of SIRI requests is done on your device if you have anything that is not too old. I think it has to be at least an iPhone XR or maybe an 11, but it's fantastic.

Also the new image description feature works really well.

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 1:33:27 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
I agree Sieghard, whole-heartedly.
This topic was covered in a couple of different threads; thread creep again; and I know I mentioned the developer in one or other of those threads.
Going forward, I will only mention apps with the developer name included, and encourage everyone else to do likewise.
The Chime app is a great example because if I search for Chime, I get several banking apps ... less than helpful.
Searching for Blacktree gets it right away.
However I have now deleted that one since I'm pretty convinced it isn't coming back for iOS 15.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

Sieghard Weitzel

Sep 24, 2021, 1:35:36 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely, others which come to mind are the "Track This" app for package tracking, "List Recorder" and I'm not sure if Digit Eyes is still around and being maintained. Especially the last two were very popular and praised beyond believe when they first came out. Oh, and of course there is Flicktype and whatever it was called before and KNFB Reader is another, still around I think, but other free or much cheaper apps do a better job.

Lisa P. Geibel

Sep 24, 2021, 1:43:40 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com, Richard Turner

Hi Richard and anyone else interested,

The Chime app I have works just fine with IOS15 and if you want to know the developer and all that, just let me know and I will get it. Also, the Chrono Qoo app announces every n15 minutes just fine. I can not get the Voice Clock to work every day. It's beautiful for one day, then I have to save the settings the next day to get it to run right, but I'm happy with Qoo, so it's not a gig deal. Loving IOS15 around this house with our 8+ and 6S+.

Lisa P. Geibel
email:
 lisapge...@gmail.com
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
To check out our Telephone Voice Mail shows, please call
My Telespace 832-999-8261
or
Philmore 773-572-7897
Press option 1 for the Big Brother update line
press 2 to hear our wedding
press 3 to hear memorable messages from Lana
press 4 to hear Marcus's Fri. night Bible readings
press 5 to hear various Calvary Chapel Church services
press 6 to hear sermons from Endtime Ministries _ End of the Age _ Irvin Baxter Continued by _ Dave Robbins Doug Norville and Vince Stiegal
press 7 to hear sermons from Pastor Jon Courson
press 8 to hear sermons from Dr. Tony Evans
press 9 to hear various other sermons from Pastor Greg Laurie or various other Conservative shows
On Philmore, when pressing 1 you can also hear week day news reports from American Family Radio.
Both systems have archives, so you can go between previous sermons or shows if you like and with each service, you can leave a message for us. We'd love to hear from you!
May YHWH bless you all

Joney Owen

Sep 24, 2021, 2:41:14 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know if you guys have talked about this program or not. I discovered, when I couldn’t get VoiceClock to behave itself. That cuckoo still works. When I looked at the instructions, it has information for iOS 15. I’m thinking he might’ve been one of the people who ran the program early, and so knew how to set his app to work. It behaves, so at least I have a clock that works. So I do miss VoiceClock. I hope they can get it to behave soon.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 2:57:02 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I found nothing with your spelling.

Who is the developer?

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 3:58:34 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I didn’t look hard enough.

I assume you are talking about  Cuckoo, by Toshihiko Tambo

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cuckoo/id414022497

It has been updated to iOS 15 and has some info about settings on the What’s new version number that says:

Sep 22, 2021

Version 4.0

Support iOS15 with workaround...

Please check "Settings" > "Notification" > "Cuckoo", Enable "Notification Center", Disable "Lock Screen" and "Banners".

It looks like 99¢ gets rid of ads and possibly gives more sound options.

Kim Crawford

Sep 24, 2021, 5:03:43 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Richard Turner <richard...@outlook.com> wrote:

Another app if someone else is interested that also works is one called TimeChime  it is developed by DEVELOPER, Artwork, Summit Point Software, LLC
I hope that helps some of   you out there looking for a new clock it apparently was just updated a bit recently  It does come with three default sound and then you can pay toit does come with three default sounds and then you can pay two dollars to add the extra ones on there if you want

Joney Owen

Sep 24, 2021, 7:32:21 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Didn’t get to these messages until now. There are other sounds you can get. Cat, frog, cricket, a sort of chime which yeah maybe. But the cookies from an actual cuckoo bird rather than the normal sound we hear from a cuckoo clock. I have it set to go every half hour like the regular clocks do and it has a volume switch to set the volume so you can have it turned down or up which ever you prefer I had used it for a long time before I started invoice clock.

Sent from my iPhone

Sharonda Greenlaw

Sep 25, 2021, 8:09:17 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Lisa and all, you're talking abtalking clock apps that work in IOS 15. You mentioned Chrono Qoo. I can't seem to find an app with this spelling to download. Can you please provide a link to the app or at least a different spelling so that I can find it in the App Store? I’m truly interested in getting an app that works. Thank you so much.
Sharonda

--
Sharonda Goode
----------

Lisa P. Geibel

Sep 25, 2021, 10:29:03 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com, Sharonda Greenlaw

Hi Richard and anyone else interested,

Here are the links for both the Chime clock I use in IOS15 and for the Qoo clock my husband and I use in IOS15. Sorry it took so long, but it's Big Brother season here and we just came off our Sabbath. Hope one of them works for you guys.

Chime talking clock

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chimes-clock-chime/id1103571756

Qoo talking clock

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ckrono-qoo-the-cuckoo-on-your-phone/id728515737

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Sep 26, 2021, 9:36:06 AMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Thanbbs a bunch for the info to download "Chime?! I'm trying it out, but does it chime from 8 in the morning, to 9 at night, from what I can gather from its main screen? Also can it speak the time with the free version, or am I to understand it only does this with the paid version?
Gera

Richard Turner

Sep 26, 2021, 10:28:53 AMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I’m not getting anything from the links.

One said not available in the US app store, even though that is the link you provided.

Could you give the developer names?  Some times, searching by developer gets more results.

Thanks,

Chris Chaffin

Sep 26, 2021, 10:35:52 AMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

first link works fine for me in the US App Store.
The Chime app developer is HN Tech LTD.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Diane Giannetti

Sep 26, 2021, 3:12:41 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
I was able to get the links and they were fine for me. These clocks, do you have to have them in the switcher in order for them to make a sound or have them open? It seems that’s the way it’s working by having in the switcher. I want my Wes Westminster Chimes Full back. Lol.

Sent from Diane's awesome iPhone!

Dan Yates

Sep 26, 2021, 4:40:21 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I have been going through the 34 emails about this topic in have just one question, What was finally decided about a talking clock, such as chime fromblackstone, that will speak the time. Speaking the time is more helpful to me than the various tones and noises.
Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2021, at 3:12 PM, Diane Giannetti <diane...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was able to get the links and they were fine for me. These clocks, do you have to have them in the switcher in order for them to make a sound or have them open? It seems that’s the way it’s working by having in the switcher. I want my Wes Westminster Chimes Full back. Lol.

Richard Turner

Sep 26, 2021, 5:45:30 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Dan,

I don’t think a decision has been made.

iOS 15 hasn’t been out a full week yet.  App developers clearly didn’t plan ahead on this one.

If someone would find the web page and send it to me for Chime by Blacktree, I will try and find a way to contact them, but the person who said she found their web site has never responded again.

I cannot find them and none of the other options given so far look all that great to me.

Sieghard Weitzel

Sep 26, 2021, 7:29:53 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com

iOS 15 may just have been released to the public, but keep in mind that developers had access to it for over 3 months. The reason why Apple releases these major new iOS versions first to developers and then to Millions of beta testers via the public beta is exactly to give developers a chance to make sure their apps are compatible and in my opinion it is pretty poor service if a developer doesn't test their app or apps with the latest iOS when it is available.

Malcolm Parfitt

Sep 27, 2021, 10:14:39 AMSep 27
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hello Adam,

Your settings for VoiceClock are set to the same as mine except I have As Banner set to unselected.  This was in an attempt to not have Voiceover and VoiceClock talking at the same time.  However, I cannot silence Voiceover’s announcement of VoiceClock’s notifications like one can do with Big Ben.

With Big Ben you can have the chimes play only with no interruption from Voiceover.

Incidentally for those who are interested here’s a reply I received from the developer of Westminster Chimes Full:

I am currently working on updating some code that MAY be a problem. But it is also possible that an update will fix this. Please be patient, as this is a hobby business for me.

J Luther Barnhart

Malcolm Parfitt