Recap of my support tweets with Verizon on avoiding activation fees when adding new iPhone to existing Verizon Prepaid account

Alan Lemly

Sep 25, 2021, 11:52:51 AMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi List,

As I posted yesterday, I’m starting to research getting a new iPhone and avoiding any activation fee when adding it to my existing Verizon Prepaid account. When I upgraded from an iPhone 8 to an SE 2020 in May, 2020, I was told that I needed to move the SIM from my iPhone 8 to my new SE 2020 in order to avoid the activation fee. I wanted to check whether this was still the case so attempted to call Verizon and ask. I had no success on the phone but found great support by tweeting a direct message to @Verizon.  I’ll paste their replies below.

Answer to my question about activation fees on new iPhone and whether I should transfer my SIM from the old to the new iPhone:

I apologize for any confusion, Alan. You will not receive an activation fee for activating a new phone on an already existing line. Activation fees are only charged when you open a new line on an account.

It would be best advised to not use the same SIM Card from your old device, as that can cause SIM Swapping issues and be pinged for fraud. If it came with a Verizon SIM Card already installed, you are good to go to use that SIM Card.

Does this clarify?

Answer to my question about how to activate the new iPhone once receive:

You are very welcome, Alan. I'm happy to help!

When you get the new phone, you can attempt to activate by entering your new IMEI and ICCID into My Verizon. Once that is finished, you will turn 'OFF' the old device, ensuring Find My iPhone is also turned off. Then, on the new device that you wish to activate, turn off WI-Fi and Bluetooth and reboot the device. Give it a few moments to connect to the network.

If you have any issue reach out to us here, and we would be glad to help activate it for you.

Was I able to resolve all your concerns for today?

Note that the My Verizon referenced in the answer to the second question about activating the new iPhone is the My Verizon app. I hope others will find the above helpful.

Alan Lemly

Kay Malmquist

Sep 25, 2021, 12:14:07 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Alan and others,
I truly hope this is not hijacking a thread, but you bring up a question that I was going to ask.  I have a new 12 Mini and I have set it up just with Wi-Fi and have not set up the cellular portion yet.  That was going to be my question.  Do I just pop in the sim card or what do I have to do.  Last time I switched phones, although it was several years ago, I seem to remember just switching the sim.  I have AT&T if you need to know.  Thanks much for any thoughts.

Kay Malmquist
kay.ma...@gmail.com

"Where focus goes, energy flows."
Bob Proctor

http://www.mail-archive.com/vip...@googlegroups.com/
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/00d801d7b225%2461f047b0%2425d0d710%24%40gmail.com.

Richard Turner

Sep 25, 2021, 12:42:30 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Kay,

I’d call AT&T to be sure.

There are two kinds of 5G, one will likely require a new sim card and usually comes with a higher priced plan.  One, should work with the old SIM, but call them to be certain.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Alan Lemly

Sep 25, 2021, 8:16:09 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kay,

Well, you do need a SIM card in your 12 Mini to get cellular service but I agree with Richard and think you should ask AT&T whether you can move the SIM card from your old to your new phone.

Alan

Sep 26, 2021, 3:53:57 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Is there an advantage to a post or prepaid account? I would think a prepaid would be less money, but the customer representative with AT&T that I talked to said no.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/00d801d7b225%2461f047b0%2425d0d710%24%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/00d801d7b225%2461f047b0%2425d0d710%24%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/43F9EDEF9E324042A41038BA333B24BE%40home <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/43F9EDEF9E324042A41038BA333B24BE%40home?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

http://www.mail-archive.com/vip...@googlegroups.com/
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/018e01d7b26b%24b2e18d50%2418a4a7f0%24%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/018e01d7b26b%24b2e18d50%2418a4a7f0%24%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

Kay Malmquist

Sep 26, 2021, 4:40:12 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
I like my prepaid account because I am not in a contract and the deal I
currently have is very good.

Kay Malmquist
email to viphone+u...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/027b01d7b310%243c038030%24b40a8090%24%40windstream.net.

Joshua Hendrickson

Sep 26, 2021, 5:25:02 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
I'd say, get prepaid if you can. I only pay $27 per month for my plan
with Verizon. I get 5 gigs of data, and unlimited talk and text.

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Carolyn

Sep 26, 2021, 5:34:52 PMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you have a great plan, Joshua. I have AT&T, but could change, especially, whenever I replace my phone.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/CADUoy9vR6yqmr-SsNm%2Bh%3D1Hpuqz2SPr5kQL1J43o9Zx383pu2A%40mail.gmail.com.