help needed for a friend

Dennis Long

May 16, 2022, 3:15:45 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I have a friend who got an iPhone 13 pro.  He has windows7.  He needs help getting his ring tones on the phone.  Any help is appreciated.

Richard Turner

May 16, 2022, 3:29:04 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Here is mark Taylor's instructions on copying Ringtones with iOS 12.7 and later.

In iTunes 12.7 for Windows, it is no longer necessary to actually use the file menu to import ringtones.  In fact,

attempting to do so will gain you nothing.  (smile).  So, to add a ringtone to your device, using Windows Explorer, copy the file to memory using the

standard windows command of Control+C.

Next, with iTunes 12.7 in focus, your iOS device attached to your PC and selected, using standard jaws navigation commands, place focus on the Tones

tab, located in the iTunes Sidebar.  Oh, make sure that you have iTunes set to display the Sidebar.

Now, once you have the Tones tab selected, press the Tab key on your keyboard until you land in the list view of currently installed custom

ringtones.  Then, simply use the paste command, Control+V, to add the ringtone to your device.

By the way, you will notice that, as you tab around the tones area, you will land on an actions button.  You can use this button to act on the currently

selected ringtone, such as playing it.

To delete a ringtone, you must place focus on the particular ringtone you wish to remove from your device, and press the delete key.  Neither the

Application button nore the Jaws right-mouse click will work, at this time.

Even the Actions button will not offer a delete choice.  The only way to remove the ringtone, at the time of this writing is to either press the

Delete key on the keyboard, or press the right mouse button on your mouse and/or touch pad.

Richard

My web site; https://www.turner42.com/

http://www.mail-archive.com/vip...@googlegroups.com/
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/008401d86959%24565beb20%240313c160%24%40gmail.com.

Loreal Lavigna

May 16, 2022, 3:29:08 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com

He will need to use iTunes on his windows PC and use copy/paste or drag and drop in order to get this done.  Is he transferring ringtones from a previous iPhone device or an Android?  If Android, then there are a couple different methods he could use, but not without taking a lot of time or being complicated/having complications.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  Loreal...@gmail.com

Joshua Hendrickson

May 16, 2022, 4:27:04 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Use Itunes it is easy. That's what I do.

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Dennis Long

May 16, 2022, 10:55:21 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com
No I Tunes will not work for transferring rings after iTunes 12. It is done. The magic of Waltr pro.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/CADUoy9tcoAkVhWAoKKOWZtLF7KroWECmnLSN_yhSSWhp7C4oag%40mail.gmail.com.

Dennis Long

May 16, 2022, 10:56:02 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com

They were in the proper format I did it myself.  He got it done with Waltr pro.

Richard Turner

May 16, 2022, 11:08:42 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Dennis,
Did you see my response with Mark Taylor's instructions for how to do it with iTunes. That method works fine.
Of course, if one has Waltr Pro, that is probably easier, but if someone only has iTunes, that method works because you are simply copying and pasting rather than syncing the ringtones the way it worked before iTunes 12.7.

Richard
“What we think or what we know or what we believe is in the end of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do” ~ John Ruskin

Dennis Long

May 16, 2022, 11:14:58 PMMay 16
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Yes according to Google searches my friend did it said you couldn’t transfer tones through iTunes.

May 17, 2022, 12:08:51 AMMay 17
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Richard is correct, it works just fine the way he described, it is really no different from copying a file in a particular folder and then going to another folder to paste it except that instead of going to a folder using File Explorer you make sure iTunes is open and you are in your device area and in the tones list and then you simply paste it there with Control + V… done.

Sieghard Weitzel

May 17, 2022, 12:16:22 AMMay 17
to vip...@googlegroups.com

And here is one of the first search results I found when I Googled “How to add custom ringtones to your iPhone using iTunes”

Step Five: Add the Ringtone File to Your Phone

Finally, connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac with its included USB-to-Lightning cable—that’s the same cable you use to charge your iPhone.

Unlock your iPhone and tap the “Trust” option on its screen to confirm you want to trust your computer if you haven’t previously connected your phone to iTunes on that PC or Mac. You’ll be prompted to enter your PIN.

Tap "Trust" and then enter your device PIN.

In iTunes, click the device icon that appears to the left of “Library” on the navigation bar.

Click the “Tones” section under On My Device in the left sidebar.

Go to the tones folder.

Drag and drop the .m4r ringtone file from its folder to the Tones section in iTunes.

Update: If drag and drop doesn’t work, use copy and paste instead. Select the ringtone file in File Explorer and press Ctrl+C, or right-click it and select copy. Next, click inside the Tones list inside iTunes and press Ctrl+V to paste it.

Update: This part seems to break with the Microsoft Store version of iTunes. If you can’t drag and drop or copy and paste the file into iTunes, try downloading and installing iTunes from Apple’s website instead. Scroll about halfway down Apple’s page until you see “Looking for other versions?” and then click “Windows.” Click “Download” once the option appears.

Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the ringtone you made into the tones folder.

I only included this part since the biggest part of the article dealt with how you can select a tone or song, use an audio editor to cut out a maximum 40 second clip, save it and convert it to AAC format then rename it with the M4R extension which the iPhone requires in order to recognize a ringtone.