Free Style Libre Arrived

1 view

Vivian Conger

Sep 24, 2021, 5:56:22 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I received my Free Style Libre earlier this week and had an appointment with the nurse yesterday.  She apologized that it didn’t talk.  I told her that it does now that there is an app for the iPhone.

She set up the reader and I inserted the new sensor.  After I got home, I installed Libre 2 on my phone but it won’t scan the sensor as it was installed on a different device.  I received an email stating that this could be done but have not figured out how to do it yet.

I’ve used Seeing AI to read the screen with limited success but just tried VD Scanner and it was perfect.

I still would like to be able to scan with my phone instead of the reader.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks for assistance.

Vivian and Sallie

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 5:59:29 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I am 99% sure you do not need the reader.

The app should scan the sensor and give you what you need to know.

I don’t have diabetes, so I am just going on what I read.

I know some on this list use the Freestyle sensors, so I hope you get a response soon.

Its great that Voice Dream Scanner did such a good job.

Winston I’m sure would appreciate hearing about that.  win...@voicedream.com

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

http://www.mail-archive.com/vip...@googlegroups.com/
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/008d01d7b18f%240180fff0%240482ffd0%24%40gmail.com.

Mary Otten

Sep 24, 2021, 6:22:42 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vivian,
You didn’t need the reader at all. I don’t know how you might get the device to change from the reader to the app on your phone. I have used the libre with my phone, but 10 R. I’m not diabetic, so I only use the continuous glucose monitor every so often, just to keep tabs on things. It works real well, at least it did the last time I used it. But as I say, I do not know if it is possible to switch your sensor over to the phone from the reader. Just don’t use the reader again. It was an unnecessary expense that they should not have sold you.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2021, at 2:56 PM, Vivian Conger <blazi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Larry Wayland

Sep 24, 2021, 6:26:38 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

You need the reader to activate the sensor.  You will need to activate each new sensor you put on your arm.  After a sensor is activated you will have to wate one hour for the sensor to start working.  Then you can use the app on your phone.

Larry

Robert stigile

Sep 24, 2021, 6:42:21 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
No, you do not need the reader at all.
Leave it in the box and just download and use the app on your iPhone. You can get all your readings through the app.
Good luck!

Robert Stigile, Second Vice-President
President San Fernando Valley Chapter

Mary Otten

Sep 24, 2021, 6:42:47 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,
Are you sure about needing a reader? I have never had the reader, as I understood when these things came out and became accessible through the iPhone, but the reader was superfluous. You can activate the sensor without the reader, unless they’ve changed something, which is incredibly stupid, since the reader is otherwise not accessible at all.
I’m really confused. Because I know back when I used these sensors over the course of a year or a year and a half often on, no reader was ever necessary. I’ve never even seen it.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2021, at 3:26 PM, Larry Wayland <lhwa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

You need the reader to activate the sensor.  You will need to activate each new sensor you put on your arm.  After a sensor is activated you will have to wate one hour for the sensor to start working.  Then you can use the app on your phone.

Richard Turner

Sep 24, 2021, 6:48:52 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
You do not need the reader.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

Andy Baracco

Sep 24, 2021, 6:51:47 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
you don't need the reader.  You should be able to scan with your phone.  it uses NFC and not bluetooth, so you will need to place the phone next to the sensor on your arm.  When you first install or when you change the sensor, you will have to wait an hour before you do your first scan.

Andy

From: Mary Otten

Andy Baracco

Sep 24, 2021, 7:13:31 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, if you have the app set up you don't need the reader at all.

Andy

Sep 24, 2021, 7:34:51 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
The only thing I can suggest is that you wait and install the next sensor with your phone. I know that they said you could do the other, but I don’t recall how it was done. I used libre freestyle for quite a while. I’ve now switched over to the Libre 2. Which has the alarm sensors.

Sent from my iPhone

NickiKeck

Sep 24, 2021, 7:44:43 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com
As others have said, you don’t need the reader.  I am not diabetic, but my husband is, and he is totally blind and uses it every day with just the app.  I have a feeling that since you activated the sensor with the reader, that you may not be able to use this particular sensor with the app, but after this 14-day sensor is finished, just apply the new sensor and use the app to scan it.  Also, as others have said, after you activate it, you will need to wait an hour.  The app will notify you when your hour is over and prompt you to scan for a reading.  We have never had a reader with my husband’s unit, as I talked with a coworker and he told me not to get it, as the app is the most accessible way to use the Libre.  We told the doctor that we didn’t want or need the reader.  Hope this is helpful.

Vivian Conger

Sep 24, 2021, 9:11:09 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Everyone,

Well I’m still not able to scan the sensor with my phone and think that yes I may have to wait until I apply a new sensor and then use my Libre 2 app to activate it.

I even tried having the reader more than 20 feet away from me and my phone thinking the phone might work if the reader was out-of-range.  Didn’t make a difference.  😉

The sensor is for 14 days and the screen specifically says the reader is Libre 2.  Using iPhone SE 2020 and IOS 14.8.

So for now I will use the reader to scan the sensor and have Voice Dream Scanner read what the display shows.

Looking forward to using my phone as the alerts on the reader are not very loud.

Again thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.

Vivian and Sallie

Sep 24, 2021, 11:09:46 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I do know that I can swap phones using the libre link app and use it with the same sensor,

So I have the app signsd in on both an iPHone 11pro max

And an SE 2020

I’ve swapped the phone I’m using and each swap just requires the sensor to be re scanned before reading,

It just registers the sensor as new but starts working straight away

I don’t have to wait that 60 minutes before using it.

I’m surprised you can’t do that with the reader

Hope you sort it out.

The only thing I can suggest is that you wait and install the next sensor with your phone. I know that they said you could do the other, but I don’t recall how it was done. I used libre freestyle for quite a while. I’ve now switched over to the Libre 2. Which has the alarm sensors.

Larry Wayland

Sep 24, 2021, 11:15:12 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Your right, the reader is not accessible at all.  What I have been doing is letting my wife, who is sighted, activate the sensor with the reader and then I use the app on the phone from then on.  I was told by the company this is what I would have to do.  However the next sensor I will try activating it with just the app on the phone.

Larry

Sep 24, 2021, 11:19:08 PMSep 24
to vip...@googlegroups.com

I would highly suggest scanning the sensor with the app on your phone

Assuming you are logged in to the app etc.

Then see what happens,

I would think it should want you to click ok for using the in operation sensor.

Possibly though it wont as the reader I’m assuming is not linked to an account

Like the mobile app is.

Sep 25, 2021, 7:43:31 AMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2021, at 9:11 PM, Vivian Conger <blazi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a question for those of you that are using the Dexcom or the libre. Those of you that are comfortable answering I appreciate your help. Those of you that have these systems, are you either on insulin or an oral agent to control your diabetes?

I have pre-diabetes in my fingers are getting damn sore. LOL

I am supposed to be starting a weekly injectable. I’m wondering weather I could possibly be approved through my insurance company for one of the systems based on either pre-diabetes or the fact that I’ll be starting the injectable. I understand that all insurance companies are different. However, I was wondering if it is an absolute that you must be a type two diabetic to receive one of these systems.

Thank you very much.

Lynda

Lynn White

Sep 25, 2021, 9:57:40 AMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda,
My understanding is that you have to be on insulin. But to be safe, I would either check with the insurance company or your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone

Robert stigile

Sep 25, 2021, 10:13:54 AMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
First, no you do not need to be on insulin do use the Libre, as I am not using insulin and I have the libre sensors.
My doctor was able to get the Libre for me because I said I wanted to have better control of my diabetes and I can’t do that because it’s difficult to get blood test since I can’t see it all and it’s hard to get enough blood on the strip using a meter.
Secondly when you are using the app on iPhone to check your readings with the Libre patch you need to put the top of the phone against the patch and then it will scan it and give you your readings. Again, you need to touch the top of the foam to the patch.
I hope this helps.

Robert Stigile, Second Vice-President
President San Fernando Valley Chapter

On Sep 25, 2021, at 6:57 AM, Lynn White <lynnwh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Linda,

Anthony Vece

Sep 25, 2021, 11:44:20 AMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob; I am having a terrible time getting the freestyle libre. They keep telling me that I need to be on insulin. Three doctors have tried to get this for me through my medical plan and Medicare part B to no success. Please help? Thank you Anthony

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 12 Pro!!!

Robert stigile

Sep 25, 2021, 12:25:47 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it’s Robert.
So, you need to have your doctor tell them that you do not need insulin but in order to keep your blood sugars in tight control you need to freestyle libre patches.
Your doctor will need to submit reports every three months to let them know that you are still not using insulin but that your blood sugars are in tighter control by using the free style libre patch.
Also, your doctor needs to submit a report stating that due to your blindness you’re not able to test using a meter as well due to not getting enough blood on the strips. That is what my doctor has told Abbott and they are fine with that.
You just have to have your doctor keep pushing it.

On Sep 25, 2021, at 8:44 AM, Anthony Vece <ajv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bob; I am having a terrible time getting the freestyle libre. They keep telling me that I need to be on insulin. Three doctors have tried to get this for me through my medical plan and Medicare part B to no success. Please help? Thank you Anthony

Anthony Vece

Sep 25, 2021, 12:55:57 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Robert; thank you very much. I will forward this to my endocrinologist. Take care and stay safe Anthony

Andy Baracco

Sep 25, 2021, 2:56:04 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
For Medicare, i think you either need to be on insulin, use an insulin pump, or need to test 3 times per day or more.

Andy

Andy Baracco

Sep 25, 2021, 2:59:31 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
My wife has the freestyle, and she is not on insulin.  As Robert said, you can advocate based on the fact that you are blind, and have difficulty using a system that requires you to obtain a blood sample.
Many blind persons have successfully advocated to get the device.

Andy

Sep 25, 2021, 4:24:26 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's interesting. Because my husband is a true techie and enjoys seeing the numbers and hoping they are going down, he tests a lot more thn 3 times a day. I would say he tests at least 6 times a day. He had trouble motivating to test once with the Prodigy.

Nicki

Andy Baracco

Sep 25, 2021, 4:43:51 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com
yes!  You need to be a good self advocate and have a doctor who will cooperate. I know someone who even though he is on insulin, had to fight with Kaiser for a year before they would provide it for him.  These are the consequences of socialized medicine where bean counters can overrule doctors and patients.

Andy

Sep 25, 2021, 10:56:05 PMSep 25
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that is correct. I am one of those  who is not on insulin and was able to have my insurance pay for it.  I was fortunate to have a doctor that advocated for me and was able to get the insurance to pay.

So, yes it can be done.

Larry

sherryw...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2021, 11:49:35 AMSep 26
to vip...@googlegroups.com

Socialized medicine?  We don’t have that in the US.  Our insurance companies determine need for hospitalization & length of stay in the hospital as well as drug choices based on what they are willing to cover.  Nothing to do with socialized medicine.