Present state

Nikita

Nov 11, 2010, 1:46:09 PM11/11/10
to Violetland
Hi!

I'm not going to actively develop this project. In principle, this is
so evident.

I believe that we have made a cool own 2d engine under GPL and quite a
lot of great resources: music and graphics under CC license.

Thank you all! Really, the process was outstanding!

I am planning to start a new project based on this work. It's just
violetland with client-server architecture. Players will have to stand
against monsters basically together (direct confrontation between
players like death match I do not plan), however, as in real life,
player will be able to stay alive at the expense of others, and to
"trip" others. Scores will be calculated individually. Server will be
multithreaded. The implementation of client and server will be based
on current violetland implementation, but code will be written from
zero.

Someone can continue developing violetland. I will try to help, but
new prototype I will develop silently some time.

Good luck, see you!

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Nov 11, 2010, 1:54:29 PM11/11/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
Nikita:

Sad, but great to hear too! I though multiplayer feature would be a great for
the current game. Have you though about rewritting the game from zero
maintaining current features (and name if you have no better one)?

toll

Nov 11, 2010, 4:07:59 PM11/11/10
to Violetland
Oh, really sad. New version will be multiplayer only or as now +
multiplayer?

Nikita

Nov 12, 2010, 1:47:44 AM11/12/10
to Violetland
On 11 ноя, 21:54, Adrián Chaves Fernández <adriyeticha...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have you though about rewritting the game from zero
> maintaining current features (and name if you have no better one)?

Yes, some of current features will be appear in new game and also the
main gameplay theme will be same. But features that are not really fit
into the game, or are inconvenient will be excluded. I think that a
skills system of a player and existing game modes will be replaced. At
first codename of game will be same. If original project will be
developed separately, then new will have new name or else current
project will be completely replaced with new later.

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Nov 12, 2010, 1:53:11 AM11/12/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
Nikita:

Ok, code as hell! (and have fun, will be waiting :)

Nikita

Nov 12, 2010, 2:03:38 AM11/12/10
to Violetland
On 12 ноя, 00:07, toll <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> New version will be multiplayer only or as now +
> multiplayer?

Yes. The server is a DLL. In client-server mode the server will be
contained by server wrapper. In local mode the server can be contained
by the client itself.

In other case the client and the server are just two separate
processes. To play the new game in single mode you can start both the
server and client process on your local machine and order the client
that it should connect to localhost. That model is best for massive
multiplayer games with standalone internet servers, so I plan to
implement first mentioned model.

Nikita

Nov 12, 2010, 2:05:58 AM11/12/10
to Violetland
On 12 ноя, 00:07, toll <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> New version will be multiplayer only or as now +
> multiplayer?

Nikita

Nov 12, 2010, 2:08:33 AM11/12/10
to Violetland
Sorry, I mean: new version will be as now + multiplayer.

Толл Свириденко

Nov 12, 2010, 5:25:53 AM11/12/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
It's great! So as for me, it would be better to replace current code with new one. If somebody will want to work with singleplayer mode, he would be able to do it.

Nikita

Nov 12, 2010, 6:34:52 AM11/12/10
to Violetland
On 12 ноя, 13:25, Толл Свириденко <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> So as for me, it would be better to replace current code with
> new one.

Absolutely agree, but I has thinking that somebody can want to
continue developing of current brunch of violetland. If not it will be
replaced.

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Nov 12, 2010, 6:46:56 AM11/12/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
Nikita:

You can always package the current revision (not as stable if it's not), so
anyone can download its state before the change, and then change it to the new
code.

sakuramboo

Nov 28, 2010, 1:43:30 AM11/28/10
to Violetland
I say that we at least make one more stable release and then make a
new trunk for the new code. From there we can make a second stable
branch with the new code.

But, I'm all for a complete rewrite. Making a true client/server game
would add new doors to plugins and extensions.

If we are doing a rewrite, then I also say we should make it as
customisable as we can. Allow the users to create their own skins, if
we are doing server based multi player, then we can allow for
different levels of difficulty, select monster spawns, time between
waves, etc.

Really, I'm just glad at how much exposure Violetland has already
gotten and I think that we can really come through with a game based
on the same principles that will put to shame anything Violetland
could have become.