[violetland] Let's discuss 0.2.10.

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 6:21:00 AM4/28/10
to Violetland
Basically it is release candidate 1 for violetland v0.3.0.

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 9:26:22 AM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> Basically it is release candidate 1 for violetland v0.3.0.

OK, as soon as 0.2.10 source is online I'll update Arch Linux package, install
it and talk.

Nikita, was there any roadmap/brainstorm or similar of what 0.3 was supposed
to have additionally to what 0.2 had?

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 10:00:46 AM4/28/10
to Violetland
I just can't commit latest changes to svn now ;)

There is no documented roadmap for 0.3 and for other future versions.
I thought about major version changes as major updates to the project.

It was some alpha prototype for 0.1, a well-constructed graphic engine
for 0.2.
I have planned playable demo for version 0.3 - with in-game options
screen, changeable control binding and funny gameplay with perks,
bonuses and weapons for good user experience.

I don't know how the game will develop. The next major version can
bring to the game network play or missions or maps with some
obstacles.

Addition to the game with more weapons, bonuses, perks and so is not a
sufficient occasion for major version change.

I hope to involve more people to the project with version 0.3 thanks
to posting of news about an major release on linux.org.ru.

On 28 апр, 17:26, Adrián Chaves Fernández <adriyeticha...@gmail.com>

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 10:07:51 AM4/28/10
to Violetland
I have noticed that lately the interest for the game has fallen,
therefore it falls at me too. I thought that some refresh of the
project can repair the process.

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 10:17:34 AM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> I have noticed that lately the interest for the game has fallen,
> therefore it falls at me too. I thought that some refresh of the
> project can repair the process.

:) New releases always increase interest, and also gets more players. If you
(developers) continue this way, in a play_it-
think_about_an_improvement_you_can_do-do_it pattern, the game has a great
future in front of it. That's the best way to develop with a small team, and
you have the luck that the game, although it could look simple t a first sight
("Just kill those f*cking monsters!"), is really entertaining, and even
addictive for some of us. :)

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 1:49:40 PM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
O.O I've just made the Arch Linux AUR package and installed. It is a great
jump from 0.9.10. Love new icons and new perks. Just got killed by a toxic
icon (I though it could be something useful XD).

I didn't tested teleport yet (don't really know how), but I hope I will. This
version is really great, Nikita.

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 1:59:14 PM4/28/10
to Violetland
The teleport can be activated by Q key. Next you can use left mouse
click to teleport to cursor position. I like to teleport directly to
position of nuke bonus ;)

On Apr 28, 9:49 pm, Adrián Chaves Fernández <adriyeticha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> O.O I've just made the Arch Linux AUR package and installed. It is a great
> jump from 0.9.10.

You mean 0.2.9?

> Love new icons and new perks. Just got killed by a toxic
> icon (I though it could be something useful XD).
>
> I didn't tested teleport yet (don't really know how), but I hope I will. This
> version is really great, Nikita.

Heroes of this release are Charlie (teleport) and Xredor (nuke).

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 2:02:19 PM4/28/10
to Violetland

wrote:
> O.O I've just made the Arch Linux AUR package and installed. It is a great
> jump from 0.9.10. Love new icons and new perks. Just got killed by a toxic
> icon (I though it could be something useful XD).

Oh, also toxic icon will be useful if you change the game mode a bit.
Go to options and toggle "friendly fire" option, then nuke will be at
your side.
Or be aware of it - for example, in arcanoid-type games in additional
to good bonuses there are deadly ones. ;)

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 2:05:44 PM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> Oh, also toxic icon will be useful if you change the game mode a bit.
> Go to options and toggle "friendly fire" option, then nuke will be at
> your side.
> Or be aware of it - for example, in arcanoid-type games in additional
> to good bonuses there are deadly ones. ;)

I actually liked it to be deadly :) Just surprised at first.

Guys, this is a really nice peace of work. Congratulations to all of you. You
are doing great.

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 2:06:16 PM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> The teleport can be activated by Q key. Next you can use left mouse
> click to teleport to cursor position. I like to teleport directly to
> position of nuke bonus ;)

Thanks!

Nikita

Apr 28, 2010, 2:11:26 PM4/28/10
to Violetland
How you can say about current HUD?

I will make some another work on it - timers for bonuses which will
show the remaining time for every temporary bonus.

On Apr 28, 10:05 pm, Adrián Chaves Fernández

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 28, 2010, 2:21:25 PM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> How you can say about current HUD?

I like it, in the sense that it's usefull. I mean, I can't believe I was
actually being able to play without the exp. bar until now. But, of course,
they can get more polished graphically.

> I will make some another work on it - timers for bonuses which will
> show the remaining time for every temporary bonus.

I love the idea. Currently I don't even know what bonuses I have on XD

Толл Свириденко

Apr 28, 2010, 6:06:22 PM4/28/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
As for HUD - I think, we need nicer effect for level up. May be something like glow. I will try to make fake tomorrow. And, do you plan any changes for HUD on top part of screen?

Nikita

Apr 29, 2010, 7:51:53 AM4/29/10
to Violetland
On 29 апр, 02:06, Толл Свириденко <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> As for HUD - I think, we need nicer effect for level up. May be something
> like glow. I will try to make fake tomorrow.

Why you don't want to try to make glow effect instead of fake? ;)

> And, do you plan any changes
> for HUD on top part of screen?

Yep, currently I am working on timers that should show remaining time
of bonuses (it will be completed today). Now I don't know what exactly
I should do with ammo indicators. My last thought is to draw grenades
as many times as many grenades Violet have. But I doubt this decision.

Толл Свириденко

Apr 29, 2010, 8:03:31 AM4/29/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> Why you don't want to try to make glow effect instead of fake? ;)
Actually, I have no experience with OpenGL. And doesn't like C and C++ :). So, I will try to make glow effect, cause it brings me some exp, but it will be slower than to make fake.

Nikita

Apr 29, 2010, 8:15:46 AM4/29/10
to Violetland
On 29 апр, 16:03, Толл Свириденко <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Why you don't want to try to make glow effect instead of fake? ;)
>
> Actually, I have no experience with OpenGL. And doesn't like C and C++ :).
> So, I will try to make glow effect, cause it brings me some exp, but it will
> be slower than to make fake.

Do not force itself if it is not pleasant, I have simply joked.

Толл Свириденко

Apr 29, 2010, 9:03:52 AM4/29/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
It's really interesting. But no quickly :).

toll

Apr 29, 2010, 5:32:14 PM4/29/10
to Violetland
I've uploaded med.gif file. It's not very nice. But, I think, with
smooth animation, smaller icon and full color it will be good.

P. S. It's time to configure project in Eclipse, Kate is not enough :)

Nikita

Apr 30, 2010, 2:31:11 AM4/30/10
to Violetland
On 30 апр, 01:32, toll <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've uploaded med.gif file. It's not very nice. But, I think, with
> smooth animation, smaller icon and full color it will be good.
>
> P. S. It's time to configure project in Eclipse, Kate is not enough :)

You can use KDevelope if you are using KDE. See comments at
http://code.google.com/p/violetland/wiki/SettingIDE.