[violetland] Hi. Im new. And I have some questions

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 22, 2010, 11:00:54 PM4/22/10
to Violetland
Hi there. This is my first post. I grabbed the source from SVN, and
started poking around in it. I have managed to make some powerups, but
I've had a few issues. Basically, one of the powerups is a
teleportation device that allows you to warp to a different location.
(For when the zombies start mobbing you) And the cool thing is it
works. It's a pickup similar to grenades, and you can use "q" to
toggle into teleportation mode. Simply put, when you left-mouseclick
in teleportation mode, instead of shooting, you move to that location.
But I want to change the color of the crosshair when in teleportation
mode. So I looked in Aim.cpp, and saw a bunch of openGL. So after some
googleing I learned that the crosshair is in a list, which caches a
bunch of openGl commands, and can't be changed. Is there anyway to
change the color of the crosshair?

Thanks
>Charlie

sakuramboo

Apr 23, 2010, 12:27:24 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
Line 26 of Aim.cpp. For more information, check this out.

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glColor.xml

sakuramboo

Apr 23, 2010, 12:29:25 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
Oh, and I forgot, check out ImageUtility.cpp.

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 23, 2010, 12:35:04 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
But that line is in the constructor for Aim. Should I delete and
recreate the Aim object everytime I want to change the color?

>Charlie

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 23, 2010, 12:52:13 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
Ok got it to work. I had to give Aim another constructor that takes
the colors as parameters. Thanks for the help
>Charlie

sakuramboo

Apr 23, 2010, 1:16:22 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
No problem. And just so you know, we are on irc.freenode.org in
#violetland if you have an IRC client. I'm in there 24/7, but that's
just so the channel doesn't close down. heh.

Also, I think that maybe in the future, it would be nice to have a
selection of different crosshairs. Let's face it, people like to
customise things. ;)

Nikita

Apr 23, 2010, 3:45:17 AM4/23/10
to Violetland
Why you didn't provide a patch for us?

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 23, 2010, 2:56:58 PM4/23/10
to Violetland
I will, I'

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 23, 2010, 2:57:55 PM4/23/10
to Violetland
I will I'm just not sure how to make a patch >_> I could just zip up
the modified trunk dir if you want, and post that.

>Charlie

Толл Свириденко

Apr 23, 2010, 3:18:11 PM4/23/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
If you are using Linux you can use simple command: diff old_file.cpp new_file.cpp > new_stuff.diff. If you are using Windows you can use TortoiseSVN tools, it makes works with svn mutch simpler.

sakuramboo

Apr 23, 2010, 10:44:19 PM4/23/10
to Violetland
What IDE are you using? Eclipse makes making patch files insanely
easy. And with Subclipse, you can upload directly to the branch.

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 23, 2010, 11:21:16 PM4/23/10
to Violetland
So it turns out it was really easy. All I had to do was "svn diff
>patch.diff" in the trunk directory. I've attached this patch and two
crappy images I made:

http://violetland.googlegroups.com/web/patch.tar.gz

sakuramboo

Apr 23, 2010, 11:47:22 PM4/23/10
to Violetland
I applied the patch to my local copy and it seems to be pretty nice. I
like it. But, I think that it should not be a drop. Instead, I think
it would work better as a perk. Once you get a level, you can select
it and use it whenever you want. But, I also think that for using it,
you should loose a bit of your health to prevent people using it if
you are close to death.

Also, there is a bug. Once you hit 'q' and switch to teleporting mode,
when you click the mouse, after the teleporting, you fire. That should
not happen.

Nikita

Apr 24, 2010, 4:07:34 AM4/24/10
to Violetland
I will look at new code and commit it today or tomorrow, ok?

Adrián Chaves Fernández

Apr 24, 2010, 11:20:59 AM4/24/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
> I applied the patch to my local copy and it seems to be pretty nice. I
> like it. But, I think that it should not be a drop. Instead, I think
> it would work better as a perk. Once you get a level, you can select
> it and use it whenever you want. But, I also think that for using it,
> you should loose a bit of your health to prevent people using it if
> you are close to death.

If a perk, I would limit it to one teleport by level, or at least a time limit
between teleports, but not decrease Violet's HP.

Толл Свириденко

Apr 24, 2010, 3:34:59 PM4/24/10
to viole...@googlegroups.com
As for me, time limit would be the best solution.

Charlie Hron Weigle

Apr 24, 2010, 4:58:04 PM4/24/10
to Violetland
@Nikita: Before you commit it I want to point out that I also add
other items that you might not want in the game. They each boost one
of your stats by two levels for a short amount of time. I just made
them to figure out how the game works, and they don't seem that
practical as items.

On Apr 24, 3:34 pm, Толл Свириденко <metalu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> As for me, time limit would be the best solution.

Nikita

Apr 25, 2010, 1:31:46 PM4/25/10
to Violetland
I've applied your patch. This is good work, I like it. I've not
removed pills, just have changed them a bit.

I've added you to the list of contributors of project so you will be
able to commit your code directly to svn. Feel free to experiment.