July 2020 Newsletter from Srivatsa Ramaswami-- Resources

Srivatsa Ramaswami

Jun 30, 2020, 12:42:30 PM6/30/20
to Vinyasa Krama Yoga Announcements
July 2020 Newsletter from Srivatsa Ramaswami--Resources

Lots of changes. I am now scheduled to teach one "On line Program" sponsored by Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. The subject will be Yoga Yagayagnyalkya starting from July 30th, 2020 for 8 working days. Because the registration number was kept modest by the University, the registration has filled up

I will likely be teaching on line three programs for Yoga Vahini in July, Sundays 12, 19 and 26th. The topics will be arunam chant with 32 suryanamaskaras, Introduction to vinyasakrama with tadasana sequence and then  Ten pranayama methods.

Resources

Since 1975, about 20 years after I started studying with Sri Krishnamacharya, I have been teaching yoga and related subjects. I have also released books, articles and   videos. I thought I could once again list the available materials. And in the course of a few years I have also taught a few Teacher Training programs, 100 hrs and 200 hrs. I had listed the participants names in my website and sometimes people ask me if there are teachers in their area who could teach vinyasakrama. I believe that a few may be teaching or willing to teach vinyasakrama yoga.  Their names with available details are in my website Here is the link

About 450 names may be found in these lists.

Some may be teaching on line, so physical proximity may not be a factor. I would request those teachers who may want to update the details about them in my website to please write to me at

Books

Early 2018 I taught a 20-hour program on Samkhyakarika of Iswarakrishna a text I studied with Sri Krishnamacharya. This was video graphed and I just received the link and am planning to go through that in the coming days. Some participants have nicely transcribed the whole program talks and Yoga Vahini is planning to publish it as a book. Hope both the video and the book may be available from Yoga Vahini soon.

Published books

I have published four books. And all of them are still available. The first one is Basic Tenets of Patanjala Yoga published by my friend in U K, Paul Harvey. Here is the link for that
THE BASIC TENETS OF PATANJALA YOGA - I ***** The term Yoga is being used quite extensively these days to encompass a variety of practices for different ends. Physical exercises, certain vows and constraints, meditation, attitudinal transformations towards work and results thereof are some of

2. Complete Book of Vinyasakrama. This was published in 2005 and is still available. It is a complete presentation of Vinyasakrama Yoga I learnt from my Guru Sri Krishnamacharya. It has more than 1000 pictures explaining scores of classic asanas and over 700 vinyasas. I have been using this book as a text book for my Teacher Training Programs. Here is the link

A Spanish edition also is available Here is the link

3, Yoga for Three Stages of Life. This was published in 2000. It contains descriptions of asanas but follows the thought process of ashtanga yoga of Patanjali and describes the angas. It also has a chapter of My studies with Sri Krishnamacharya, mantra yoga, story of Patanjali and others. Here is the link

A Spanish edition also is available

4. Yoga Beneath the Surface. This book authored with David Hurwitz was published in 2006. It is a Q and A book with about 200 questions and answers relating to Yoga. Here is the link

Understand an Italian edition is available

5. Yoga for Internal Organs. Sri Krihnamacharya in his Yoga Rahasya book refers to 6 internal kosas or organs and the need to maintain their health . This manuscript from my monthly newsletters contains articles which analyze the yogic procedures for the vital internal organs like the heart the lungs etc

6, When Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Madras was started in the 1970s, I was one of the three founder trustees. At that time at the instance of Sri Desikachar who was the Managing Trustee of the Mandiram and the blessings of Sri Krishnamacharya, I started writing articles on Yoga to a 100-year-old monthly "Indian Review". However, after a few months I left the Mandiram but the editor of the magazine asked me to continue to write. So, for about 25 months I wrote an article every month and thereafter the journal folded and my first attempt in yoga writing ended. My friend Paul Harvey in UK collected all the articles and has them uploaded to his popular website. These articles can be traced through this link

A collation of articles by Srivatsa Ramaswami around the teachings of T Krishnamacharya published in the ‘Indian Review’ circa 1979-1981. View or Download this Series of Articles as a Single PDF Collation List of Articles and Indications of Content:

7. More than 10 years back I started sending a monthly newsletter mainly to students who participated in my programs. I started witting a brief article in each of the newsletters on a topic I thought relevant to yoga practitioners. In due course over 120 articles were written. Here is the list

1.Ashtanga,
 2.Dreamer,
3.adhyayana,upaaya,
4. siksha.
5. 2-1-0.
6. viveka and vairagya,
7. adhyasa,
8. The Goal...,
9.prana,
10.AngryMe,
11.texts,
12.children yoga,
13.vasishta,
14,Interview with ITT,
15.Practice,
16.The subject,
17.ashtavakra,
18.yogayagnyavalkya,
19.klesa,
20.duhkha,
21.nivritti,
22.standing asanas,
23.upanishad vidyas,
24.fly,
25.aklishta,
26.dhruva,
27.samkhya karika,
28.sapta (7),
29.maya (illusion),
30.pratyaya,
31.wildyogi interview,
32.vyasa and ganesa,
33.sanchara (free flow),
34.origin,
35.ageing,
36.brahmavit,
37.guna physiology,
38.sanskrit chants,
39.texts for yoga students,
40.upanishad stories,
41.taboo,
42.asana names,
43.dream (svapna),
44.adhyasa,
45.gurukripa,
46.adhyatmavidya,
47.karma,
48.illusion,
49.ananda (bliss),
50.guna,
51.spine,
52.dogpose,
53.word (sabda),
54.namaskara,
55.Anthony's nudge,
56.vairagya,
58.krama,
59.kosa,
60.asmita,
61.vyahriti,
62.dharana,
63.samkhya,
64.questions,
65.yoga,
66. illusion...really?,
67.godhead,
68.muchukunda,
69.viraja,
70.vidya,
71.pranayama break,
72.vinyasa,
73.patanjali,
73.duhkha,
74.surya,
75.ashtanga,
76.parinama,
77.prasadana,
78.akasa,
79.rishis,
80.An interview,
81.cittavritti--an illusion?,
82.use of voluntary breath control in asanas and vinyasas,
83.chanting with Krishnamacharya,
84.mantra pranayama,
85.yoga,
86. knowing the unknown,
87.chants,
88.yoga joint,
89.avvaiyar,
90.spinal exercise,
91.trivikrama,
92.statics and dynamics of asanas,
93.advaita,
94.mantra cover,
95.breath of yoga,
96. Thus spake Krishnamacharya,
97.Iswarapranidhana,
98.durvasa,
99. yagnyavalkya,
100.pancha kosa vidya,
101.yoga gymnastics,
102.cittavritti,
103.Yoga and bronchial asthma,
 104subhashita,
105 yoga vs sneezing (acc...oo),
106 yoga nerves,
107.One verse exposition of Adi Sankara,
108Story of Bhagirata,
109.Meditating on Meditation,
 110.svadhyaya and story of Tirumular,
111.vinyasakrama yoga practice,
112.Head and shoulders above, T
113.tale of two bhakti yogis,
114.Between death and Birth,
115.vedic convocation/commencement,
116.yoga for the heart,
117.chants,
118.vajrasana story,
119.'creative' hypothesis,
120.three gunas and four purushartas.

They may accessed through the following link

Google Group

8. Last 10 years or so, I have been posting yoga and yoga related "tit bits "on Facebook. Of late I have been trying "live" talks on facebook.  Here is the link to my facebook page
I was a student of Pandit Yogacharya Sri T Krishnamacharya during 1955-1988, I learnt Vinyasakrama Asana Practice of over 700 vinyasas and 150 subroutine sequences, pranayama, meditation, chanting many chapters of Yajur Veda, several texts as Yoga Sutra Samkhya Karika several Upanishad Vidyas, the Gita and others from the unique Yogi Sri Krishnamacharya.

9. I have a website where I post my upcoming programs and past programs. The website has also a few more details

VIDEOS

I had spent hundreds of hours learning to chant several chapters from yajur veda. from my revered guru. Since no recordings were then prevalent or allowed, all the chanting learnt were in person with the teacher. Between 1980 and 1995 I recorded many of the chanting of vedas  I learnt from my teacher through a recording company Sangeetha. For Sangeetha, I also recorded many popular Sanskrit devotional chants. Most of them are now on You Tube and Juke Box and may be others. Additionally I uploaded many yoga talks, asana practice videos and slide streams. Here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/user/srivatsaramaswami
Srivatsa Ramaswami, disciple of Yogacharya Sri T Krishnamacharya for over 30 years. The channel would contain videos of talks, slideshows, chanting on yoga a...

The videos are grouped into playlists as follows
  1. Sanskrit Devotional chants (15)      Mookapanchasati, Aditya hridayam and veda parayanam, Sandhya vandanam, Mahanarayana Upanishad, Taittiriya Upanishad, Sri Raghavendra Sahasranamavali, Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam, Sri Lalita Sahasranama Stotram, Sri Ganesa Sahasranamam, Indrakshi Siva kavacham and vedic chant, Sri Durga Sahasranamam, Sri Gayatri Sahasranamam,
  2. Sundara Kandam Complete (29) This is a complete chapter from the Valmiki Ramayana of about 2800+ verses. It is a very popular chant and many religiously listen to it. Usually it is chanted over a week. Devotees of Sri Anjaneya also chant this. The whole album runs for about 10 hrs
  3. Bhagavat Gita (10) These videos were made when I gave a series of lectures on the Bhagavat Gita in Los Angeles at the facility of Sarah Mata and edited by Jacquelin Sonderling
  4. Yoga Talks (9) Yoga talks I gave at different places and also live streaming on facebook
  5. Vinyasakrama asana videos (17) A few asana sequences by my students over a period of time
There are some more sanskrit chants that are available in the internet like siva sahasranamam, Devi Mahtmyam etd
  1. Vinyasakrama Slide shows (16) some experimental slide shows of vinyasakrama ,many subroutines
  2. Sanskrit chants (8) Some more sanskrit chants like peace chants rudram chamakam
  3. Yoga Sutra (6) Chanting of complete yoga sutras and also tutorials for learning to chant yoga sutras