Slint

David Hoff Jr

May 11, 2020, 10:40:10 PM5/11/20
to Vinux Mail List
I remember a while back there was a smaller installation ISO of Slint
mentioned on this list. Does anyone have the current link for that? If
not, what is the current link of the full size ISO? I just downloaded
what I thought to be the full ISO and found I had downloaded the wrong
thing. Since it is so large I did not want to spend all day downloading
the wrong one again.
--
<>

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 11, 2020, 10:50:31 PM5/11/20
to The Vinux Support Forum
The slint DVD is 4 GB in size.

wget http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/iso/slint64-14.2.1.2.iso
wget http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/iso/slint64-14.2.1.2.iso.sha256sum

Check for errors:

sha256sum -c slint64-14.2.1.2.iso.sha256sum

Installation instructions here:
https://slint.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=en:installation

Slint support list:

Here is a short how-to for using it.

How to subscribe

Just send an email to eca...@freelists.org from the email address you
will use to send messages to the list, with just in the Subject line:
join slint

You will then receive an email with this subject:
Subscription consent for 'slint'
Follow the link in it to confirm.
Then, on the web page that will be displayed you will have to check
the check boxes on the right of each of these three sentences:
I have read, understand, and agree to the Terms of Service
I have read, understand, and agree to the Privacy Policy
I am the owner or authorized user of <your email address>
and press the Next button.

You will receive a new email confirming your subscription. This is
just an information, you do not have to click on the link it will
include.

You may then post to sl...@freelists.org

Regards,

David
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

David Hoff Jr

May 12, 2020, 1:13:52 PM5/12/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David. This is the same link I used. After receiving your email I
realized I had not changed the BIOS to allow booting from USB sticks. My
ISO works fine, only my rememberer to do simple tasks sometimes fails.

On another note, I use Diatheke from the console, but would like to have
a Bible program which is accessible on the GUI desktop. All the ones I
have found so far are not accessible. Are you aware of any?
--
<>

Didier Spaier

May 12, 2020, 3:26:37 PM5/12/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I am Didier Spaier, Slint maintainer,

to answer your initial question, we do provide a mini-slint, cf.:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/minislint/README

Be aware though that if you use it you will need to download and
install afterwards all packages not shipped in the mini-iso anyway.

Other than that, I recommend that you read if not yet done not only this
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
(link already provided by David) but also that:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/Accessibility

Other than that I don't know if there exist Bible program accessible
from a GUI desktop, being not a user of such programs.

However a few can be installed on Slint, cf.:
http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=bible&sv=14.2
But I have no idea about their accessibility.

Cheers,

Didier

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

David Hoff Jr

May 13, 2020, 1:47:59 PM5/13/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Are you saying that either Sword or Bible Time is accessible on the GUI
Desktop? I remember downloading both of them as well as Xyphos and none
of them appeared to be accessible to Orca, unless I'm missing something.
--
<>

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 13, 2020, 1:52:25 PM5/13/20
to The Vinux Support Forum
I don't know, I use a magnifier to see the screen, try asking google
it knows more than I do.

I just gave you a link that seemed to have excellent resources for
accessibility for blind and limited sight users.

My best answer is try them, things are constantly changing.

Regards,

David
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

David Hoff Jr

May 13, 2020, 2:16:07 PM5/13/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link to the mini slint iso.

I read the suggested link http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
and found that Item #2 on that page, a link to put the ISO onto a DVD
was a faulty link, which I am having to do since my desktop is a very
old computer and will not boot from a USB stick.

This afternoon I will do a little more research on using the dd command
to burn the ISO to the DVD.
--
<>

Anders Holmberg

May 13, 2020, 2:39:27 PM5/13/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I never got to install them as they seem quite clunky to install on my Debian system.
/A
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

Didier Spaier

May 13, 2020, 2:43:42 PM5/13/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,

You can't use the dd command to burn the ISO to the DVD
Sorry for the wrong link that I will fix, the good one is:
https://slint.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=en:installation
Read under "Make a bootable DVD disc"

Cheers,
Didier

David Hoff Jr

May 15, 2020, 12:57:59 PM5/15/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I ended up doing it with my Windows 7 Desktop machine before I
received your email.

On another note, I did install it to an older desktop without any
problems, but I have encountered one frustration with the Lynx web
browser. The tab key and the up and down arrow keys are suppose to move
from link to link on the web page, which they may do, but orca on the
gui terminal and speakup on the console are speaking a lot more than the
links. It is so bad I cannot even understand or set my options on the
option screen. For several years I have used Lynx in Debian 6 thru 10 on
both the GUI and the console and never had this problem. I'm not sure if
it is compiled differently than Debian or if there is a setting in the
screen readers I need to change to fix the problem. Any help would be
appreciated.
--
<>

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 15, 2020, 2:07:19 PM5/15/20
to The Vinux Support Forum, Jude DaShiell
David,

At this stage, with Debian still adhering to it's policy of no
"non-free" which means you have to modify sources of apt-get so you
can even play multimedia, and Ubuntu which doesn't have easy support
for console speech, and Arch which also doesn't seem to have support
for espeakup and reading in console, even though there is Talking
Arch, but the installer is very tedious with lots of files to edit,
it's not for the new person because it can be very tedious. You
certainly will learn your system if you can remember where all the
files are that configure the system.

On the other hand, there is SLINT based on Slackware - the only
problem I have is that some programs I "need" aren't supported, but
there are ways of making your own Slack Builds and by doing so I have
installed the programs I "need" like gscan2pdf.

For 99% of people, SLINT does everything a person would need. The
developer is very dedicated to helping blind persons. I agree with
you about lynx, I've tried to get the developer to allow saving of ALL
options but he refuses. You can replace /etc/lynx.conf with an edited
file - I have one made by Jude DaShiell which I will attach, chown it
to root:root and place in /etc/lynx.cfg but copy your original
/etc/lynx.cfg over as /etc/lynx.cfg.original before you do. I still
find lynx to be slow perhaps because the display has to be run through
the rules in lynx.cfg before displaying. EWW inside emacspeak is
excellent and I'd recommend that.

Go with Slint as Vinux is no longer being developed, it was an
excellent distro, I particularly loved Vinux 2.0 based on Debian. It
came in CLI and GUI versions.

Best wishes,
David
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

lynx.cfg

Didier Spaier

May 15, 2020, 7:22:28 PM5/15/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I suggest that you register to the Slint mailing list, instructions here:

and post your questions there so more Slint users can answer your
question and issues. Then please confirm that you have installed
upgrades and additions to the Slint packages repository that
occurred since the release of the ISO, as indicated in:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
under this title:
B. Get the updates and additions provided after the release.

Cheers,

Pawel L.

May 16, 2020, 4:45:26 AM5/16/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is too bad that Vinux is sort of forgotten at the moment since
ubuntu-mate seems to be careless about its accessibility regarding its
installation - there was no problem with 19.10 release to install on a
system using ORCA but no go for a blind user with 20.04 unless one can
get a sighted helper to click on 'try ubuntu' or 'install ubuntu',
never mind that ORCA comes up at the installation screen.
I haven't found Speakup to be difficult to activate in ubuntu-mate
console at all, however, this is my screen reader of choice in CLI so
I am using it only and I can't say too much about different approaches
with Emacspeak nor Ferir.

For Debian, you may download unofficial Debian release and usually
this takes care of 'non-free' stuff. The accessibility support in
Debian is great.

This is true that with Slint you got almost everything preconfigured
for a user and that its developer is extremely supportive. One doesn't
need any sighted person to install Slint.

From my perspective, never mind Linux's distribution, the blind
community needs a lot of improvements in ORCA. As just a regular
computer user I can't find too many support for a lot of graphical
apps in Linux comparing with Windows using NVDA or even Narrator.
Example, Audacity.

It'll be nice to see VI-programmers coming back to Vinux and work on
our own community Linux distribution again.
Best,
Pawel