Few questions about Slint.Digest for vinux-support@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 1 topic

SatyaNarayana Murthy Tanikella

Jan 3, 2020, 4:07:05 AM1/3/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all Slint users,
Happy new year 2020.
I want to try Slint and before going further I have few questions
which are follows:
1. Will Slint can be used as penetration distribution system like kali linux?
I used Vinux but its accessibility used to break when ever I run updates.
2. Can I install and run Enterprise data bases like DB2 comunity
edition or Oracle express?
3. is there any plan or proposal to make either a Oracle virtualbox or
vmware image?
if any one want to make a virtual image is it ok to Slint comunity?
Thanks.
Satyanarayana Tanikella.

edition?

On 1/3/20, vinux-...@googlegroups.com
<vinux-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> [...]
> choose to run mate since that's already available and you can also
> choose to run in a graphical environment on log in rather than console.
> If you want to do virtual I can't help since I've never done that, but I
> have slint on another drive and I boot up in console and when I want to
> run graphical I use the startx script. The thing is by default for
> console users orca is off but you run the orca-on script in a user
> account and when you go graphical orca speaks.
> How well speech will work with local languages I don't know since I
> don't speak all of them and haven't tried out all of the language
> configurations. The good thing about that is you're not on closed
> source like windows but open source like linux so if something's broken
> and you find it maybe letting the slint email list know about it might
> find someone who can fix it.
> If you choose to run screen reader on slint, the next questions are
> country and language.
> Good luck.
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020, Vojt?ch ?miro wrote:
>

> --
>

> ---------- 3 of 5 ----------
> From: Jean M <seren...@gmail.com>
> Date: Jan 03 08:48AM +1100
>
> Thank you, Jude, for the intell though some was beyond me.
> I downloaded Slint. It took six hours to download the 3+ GB. I'm hoping
> for YouTube videos on how to use.
> Jean
>

> ---------- 4 of 5 ----------
> From: Didier Spaier <did...@slint.fr>
> Date: Jan 02 11:18PM +0100
>
> Hello Jean and Vojtěch,
>
> Indeed Slackware is different from Ubuntu or Fedora.
>
> As Jude stated, installation is not hard though.
>
> Actually the only thing that you may find hard is partition the drive
> where you will install it.
>
> Let me provide some links:
> http://slint.fr
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/Accessibility
> More generally:
> http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/
>
> Feel free to ask further questions before installing, we have a newbie
> friendly mailing list. Registration is mandatory, find instructions to
> register in this blog post:
>
> Happy New Year to all!
>
> Didier
>
> Le 2/01/20 à 12:56, Vojtěch Šmiro a écrit :
>

> ---------- 5 of 5 ----------
> From: Jude DaShiell <jdas...@panix.com>
> Date: Jan 02 08:44PM -0500
>
> A few messages went up on the orca-list about slint installation
> demonstrations. Didier Spaier may have already provided you directions to
> those if they're good enough for general distribution. I think these will
> be mp4 or mp3 files though.
>

> --
>

> --
> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this
> group. You can change your settings on the group membership page:

Didier Spaier

Jan 3, 2020, 8:20:52 AM1/3/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello SatyaNarayana and all,

answer after the quotes

Le 3/01/20 à 10:07, SatyaNarayana Murthy Tanikella a écrit :
> Hello all Slint users,
> Happy new year 2020.
> I want to try Slint and before going further I have few questions
> which are follows:
> 1. Will Slint can be used as penetration distribution system like kali linux?

Yes, if you add relevant software not yet installed. If you tell which
software you have in mind we can say if it's already included in Slint,
easily installed or if a tool with the same purpose is already installed
or easily installed.

> I used Vinux but its accessibility used to break when ever I run update

2. Can I install and run Enterprise data bases like DB2 community
> edition or Oracle express?

Hopefully but I didn't try and found no recent about their usage on
Slackware or Slint, so I actually don't know.

As an aside I have used db2 once during a stay in Detroit, but it was
32 years ago <smile>

> 3. is there any plan or proposal to make either a Oracle virtualbox or
> vmware image?

Not planned yet, but if there is a demand I can provide an image
no later than next Monday (Paris time).
It will be for qemu (shipped in Slint) rather than for VirtualBox or
VMWare. rationale: qemu is way better in my opinion, especially for
sound handling which matters a lot wrt accessibility (several virtual
sound boards are available). I would provide a simple shell script to
set up a Qemu VM including the image.

To start Slint in the VM you would just have to run this script.

> if any one want to make a virtual image is it ok to Slint community?
> Thanks.

If provided by its maintainer (me) the answer will probably be yes.

If you stay interested on trying Slint, please register to the Slint
mailing list, following these instructions:
https://slint.fr/blog/

Best regards,

Didier

Didier Spaier

Jan 3, 2020, 10:38:12 AM1/3/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Le 3/01/20 à 14:20, Didier Spaier a écrit :
>> 3. is there any plan or proposal to make either a Oracle virtualbox or
>> vmware image?
>
> Not planned yet, but if there is a demand I can provide an image
> no later than next Monday (Paris time).
> It will be for qemu (shipped in Slint) rather than for VirtualBox or
> VMWare. rationale: qemu is way better in my opinion, especially for
> sound handling which matters a lot wrt accessibility (several virtual
> sound boards are available). I would provide a simple shell script to
> set up a Qemu VM including the image.

On second thought I'm not sure it'd be wise: techniclally there is no
issue but the image would weigh 12G or so for a full installation.

I have to think more about it.

Best,

Didier

Christopher Chaltain

Jan 5, 2020, 7:24:27 AM1/5/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com, Didier Spaier
If you were to create an image and a script to create a virtual machine
under Qemu, I'd definitely go for it. I'm just one user, and I could
always create a virtual machine for Slint using the wizzard in Virtual
Machine Manager, so definitely don't do this just for me.
--
Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail

Didier Spaier

Jan 13, 2020, 7:58:07 AM1/13/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Chaltain, SatyaNarayana Murthy Tanikella
Hello Christopher, SatyaNarayana and all,

Done, just read this blog post:
https://slint.fr/blog/introducing-mini-slint.html

Have a good day and best regards,
Didier

Didier Spaier

Jan 21, 2020, 6:05:21 PM1/21/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Chaltain, SatyaNarayana Murthy Tanikella
Hello,

A new version of Mini Slint is available, with many enhancements.

This version supersedes the previous one.

Quote below of:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/minislint/README

1. What is it.

minislint is a small Slint system already installed, in the form of a
single file called an "image", that can be used as a virtual disk or
copied to an USB stick, a hard disk or SSD to run Slint without having
to installing it. This image is compressed, to speed up its download.

Best regards,

Didier