Vinux 5.1 remove desktop icons

Jean M

Dec 29, 2019, 3:21:06 AM12/29/19
to Vinux support forum

I downloaded and installed Vinux 5.1 onto a Windows Vista pc to give away to a pensioner with impaired vision. I will be training him.  I'm a newby to Linux.

Everything looks fine except for the duplicates of 'Home' and 'Trash' on the Desktop. Both these are in the Launcher, even though they are called 'Files' and 'Rubbish Bin'.  I have tried the normal procedures to remove the icons from the Desktop and I've tried to research how but have not had any success. I wish to have the interface as clear and minimal as possible for the recipient of the computer.

All advice appreciated.  Thank you.

David Hoff Jr

Dec 30, 2019, 12:10:54 PM12/30/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
There are others who can better help you, but since no one has responded,
I will try.

Vinux 5.1 is probably to much outdated. I believe It is based on Ubuntu
version 14 and I think they are now on version 19. I doubt that Ubuntu
offers any updates or support for it. Vinux was great in it's day, but
most people have moved on to a newer distrubution.

I suggest you look at "Slint". It is a branch of Slakware Linux and
appears to be well supported and works very well with blind or low
vision people, especially beginners. If you do a search for "Slint
Linux" on Google you should find their web site and help you with your
questions and needs. Sorry, but I don't have the web site handy.

If you have any other questions, please email me directly.
--
<>

Didier Spaier

Dec 30, 2019, 1:49:09 PM12/30/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I am Didier Spaier, Slint's maintainer.

I fully agree with what David wrote.

The website is here: https://slint.fr
It is slightly outdated but has useful and up to date links on the left
of the home page.

I recommend asking further questions and requesting help on our mailing
list.

You will find instructions to register and use it in this blog post:

Slint should be usable by a pensioner as I am one <smile>

Best regards,

Didier

Pawel L.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:47:39 PM1/1/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
To minimize the trouble for you trainee please visit the following website:
www.slint.fr
and have a closer look at their distribution.
Unfortunately, Vinux is long forgotten and nobody takes care of this
particular distribution.
Hope this helps a bit.
Pawel
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

> ---
> "Vinux support forum" group.
> email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/5d7155f0-b05b-4d3d-9725-06309a747ca9%40googlegroups.com.

Jean M

Jan 1, 2020, 8:58:05 PM1/1/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello David
It was very kind of you to respond to my question. In fumbling around with Vinux I did noticed that Ubuntu has many later versions.  I'll now check out Slint.
Your advice is much appreciated.
Jean

--
Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

Vojtěch Šmiro

Jan 2, 2020, 6:56:28 AM1/2/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com

Hello.

I wanted to try Slint, but I am afraid of this distro, because slackware is really different from Ubuntu or Fedora and installation is hard too, I think.

Best regards

Vojta.

Jude DaShiell

Jan 2, 2020, 10:45:00 AM1/2/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
No, installation is not hard. In fact if you want to talk hard
installations gentoo and archlinux come to mind.
Once you boot a slint iso, if speech can come up it will. You can turn
speech off if you don't need it or leave it on.
What slint hasn't got is gnome. When you install slint though you can
choose to run mate since that's already available and you can also
choose to run in a graphical environment on log in rather than console.
If you want to do virtual I can't help since I've never done that, but I
have slint on another drive and I boot up in console and when I want to
run graphical I use the startx script. The thing is by default for
console users orca is off but you run the orca-on script in a user
account and when you go graphical orca speaks.
How well speech will work with local languages I don't know since I
don't speak all of them and haven't tried out all of the language
configurations. The good thing about that is you're not on closed
source like windows but open source like linux so if something's broken
and you find it maybe letting the slint email list know about it might
find someone who can fix it.
If you choose to run screen reader on slint, the next questions are
country and language.
Good luck.

Jean M

Jan 2, 2020, 5:01:54 PM1/2/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Jude, for the intell though some was beyond me.
I downloaded Slint.  It took six hours to download the 3+ GB.  I'm hoping for YouTube videos on how to use.
Jean

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/alpine.NEB.2.21.2001021036050.4019%40panix1.panix.com.

Didier Spaier

Jan 2, 2020, 5:18:40 PM1/2/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jean and Vojtěch,

Indeed Slackware is different from Ubuntu or Fedora.

As Jude stated, installation is not hard though.

Actually the only thing that you may find hard is partition the drive
where you will install it.

Let me provide some links:
http://slint.fr
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/README.installation
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/Accessibility/Accessibility
More generally:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/

Feel free to ask further questions before installing, we have a newbie
friendly mailing list. Registration is mandatory, find instructions to
register in this blog post:

Happy New Year to all!

Didier

Jude DaShiell

Jan 2, 2020, 8:44:57 PM1/2/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
A few messages went up on the orca-list about slint installation
demonstrations. Didier Spaier may have already provided you directions to
those if they're good enough for general distribution. I think these will
be mp4 or mp3 files though.

Pawel L.

Jan 3, 2020, 10:08:24 AM1/3/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Vojtěch,
Definitely, the concept of Slint is different from Fedora or Ubuntu
distributions but I wouldn't say that its installation is more
difficult in any way.
Please have a closer look at slint.fr website to read through some of
its installation/usage guides before you go ahead with anything and
you'll see that it is not hard at all.
Only difficult aspect of its installation may be if you install Slint
next to another operating system on your computer since its partion
may be confusing then.
Hope it helps.
Pawel

On 1/2/20, Vojtěch Šmiro <vsm...@seznam.cz> wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I wanted to try Slint, but I am afraid of this distro, because slackware
> is really different from Ubuntu or Fedora and installation is hard too,
> I think.
>

> Best regards
>

> Vojta.
>
> Dne 02. 01. 20 v 2:09 Jean M napsal(a):
>> Hello David
>> It was very kind of you to respond to my question. In fumbling around
>> with Vinux I did noticed that Ubuntu has many later versions.  I'll
>> now check out Slint.
>> Your advice is much appreciated.
>> Jean
>>

>> On Tue., 31 Dec. 2019, 04:10 David Hoff Jr, <dhof...@gmail.com
>> <http://irc.vinuxproject.org> #Vinux
>>
>> Unsubscribe from Vinux by emailing
>> vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:vinux-support%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> ---
>> Groups "Vinux support forum" group.
>> send an email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:vinux-support%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/20191230091049.430C.9CDA504E%40gmail.com.
>>
>> --
>> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
>> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
>> You can search or view our group on the web:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
>> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

>> ---
>> Groups "Vinux support forum" group.
>> an email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/CAJeTAx_c5%2BGGTj5MLbr2UWSp4_J7ZG9LdH7ZPXrTrTnFQVtT1g%40mail.gmail.com
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/CAJeTAx_c5%2BGGTj5MLbr2UWSp4_J7ZG9LdH7ZPXrTrTnFQVtT1g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

> ---
> "Vinux support forum" group.
> email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/4457eb07-b95f-7299-4ff1-f5336c8978c3%40seznam.cz.

Vojtěch Šmiro

Jan 5, 2020, 11:56:18 AM1/5/20
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I was not at home, so I am writing now.

I've listened tutorials about Slint. I think it is hard, because
installation is not graphic, but console. In that video it was console
isntallation. But you're right, I have to try it and than write.

Best regards

Vojta.