[ANNOUNCE] Slint64-14.2.1.2 is now ready for testing.

23 прегледа
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

Didier Spaier

непрочитано,
13. 2. 2019. 19:11:0313.2.19.
– The Vinux Support Forum, slint, Slint, orca-list, Linux for blind general discussion, carrefo...@lists.tuxfamily.org
Where to go:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/
Instructions:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/README-14.2.1.2
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/README.testing
What's new:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/doc/NEW
More information:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/doc/
Among which, for visually impaired users:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/doc/ACCESSIBILITY
How-to upgrade:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/doc/README.UPGRADE

Thanks to all who have helped do it what it is, be it with direct
contributions, discussions, questions, suggestions, reported
issues.

I am late managing the translations, so please dear translators
bear with me, and preferably if not yet done register to our
new mailing list:
as it's easier for me to manage just one list.

I will provide the few new messages to translate soon so the
translations can be updated before the lease of the "official"
Slint64-14.2.1.2 ISO.

Best,

Didier

Pawel L.

непрочитано,
14. 2. 2019. 04:12:5414.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com, slint, Slint, orca-list, Linux for blind general discussion, carrefo...@lists.tuxfamily.org
Hello,

After my first run of the installation of the testing release of Slint
I can say that this is pretty impressive. I never saw anything like
this in the past.
The old Slint release already supported speech and Braille output very
well so I was kind of ready for the same. To my surprise, after
entering speakup.synth=Apollo line into the boot loader prompt, the
Slint recognized my old hardware synthesizer and start talking via the
unit and let me continue my installation process.

In Windows environment all told me to throw away my Apollo synth since
it was out-of-date and nothing supports this any more. The same I
heard about my old ALVA Satelite 584 PRO. Here, my old hardware works.
Thank you Didier.
With warm regards,
Pawel
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

> ---
> "Vinux support forum" group.
> email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.

Mallard

непрочитано,
16. 2. 2019. 06:28:3616.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com, Pawel L., slint, Slint, orca-list, Linux for blind general discussion, carrefo...@lists.tuxfamily.org
Hello all,

I've been reading about Fenrir screen reader, but I don't seem to
understand how it's supposed to be used. Rather, in which context or for
what purposes exactly.

However, it looks pretty interesting and advanced.

I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to include it in some
future versions fo Slint. Would it be worth it? What possible advantages
would it give us?

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I really don't understand much
about this programme.

Ciao,

Ollie

tony seth

непрочитано,
16. 2. 2019. 18:56:2216.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Fenrir is another screen reader, but unlike Speakup which is built into
the kernel, Fenrir runs in user space, like a DOS screen reader would.
That does give it some neat advantages over speakup, but they cannot be
run together because they use some of the same resources.
Speakup being a part of the kernel does give speech earlier in the boot
process, and will work with the hardware speech synthesizers where
Fenrir I don't think does. Not sure about that.
Fenrir also has quite a few dependencies, (programs and libraries that
need to be there to make it work which means a bit more work initially
to get it working). sertainly doable but not for a beginner I'd think.
Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Cheereo!

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

непрочитано,
17. 2. 2019. 10:56:2517.2.19.
– The Vinux Support Forum, slint, Slint, orca-list, Linux for blind general discussion, carrefo...@lists.tuxfamily.org
Didier,

I usually just install but this time, I decided to make a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox.  My download iso  checksum is O.K.

I use "other Linux 64 bit" and uncheck "Live CD" giving 2GB RAM and 8 GB for dynamic virtual hard drive space.

I start installing and it starts telling me the files being installed are corrupt!

So I wanted to tell you!

Regards,

David

Didier Spaier

непрочитано,
17. 2. 2019. 15:04:3117.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com, D.J.J. Ring, Jr., slint, Slint, orca-list, Linux for blind general discussion, carrefo...@lists.tuxfamily.org
Hello David,

You'll need to make the target '/' partition as least 15G for a regular
installation, a little less if you don't install KDE. That's just
for the system itself as installed, without user files or additional
packages (bear in mind that voices are huge).

With just 8G while installing it gets out of virtual disk space, that's
why it suggests that the files are corrupt. I realize that the HELP
entry menu of setup still mentions 6G... Well, this information is very
old and needs an update. Meanwhile I will mention that in the doc.

Just increase the virtual partition size and everything should be OK.

Before someone asks: a partial installation is neither available nor
planned, sorry. The only optional series of package is KDE.

Best,

Didier

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

непрочитано,
17. 2. 2019. 17:50:2017.2.19.
– The Vinux Support Forum
Hello Didier,

When I installed I pressed s for accessible and I did get some voice prompts but there were several screens in setup which said nothing, but you can just press enter for USA English and other defaults.

I again tried in Virtual Box under Linux, it stopped.  I saved the state and ran again, and it resumed OK.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,
David

Didier Spaier

непрочитано,
17. 2. 2019. 20:45:2217.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com, D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Hello David,

I had the same issues with VirtualBox, sound is not reliable
and it stops sometimes. That's an issue with VirtualBox
not with the installer.

qemu works much better, so I suggest you use that instead.

You can even try with several sound cards using the option:
-soundhw all

FWIW here is my command in Legacy mode:

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-machine q35 \
-enable-kvm \
-cpu host \
-boot order=d \
-m 3G \
-k fr \
-soundhw all \
-display gtk \
-vga std \
-drive file=<virtual hard disk>,format=<vidtula hard disk format>,media=disk \
-cdrom /path/to/dslint64-14.2.1.2t1.iso

You can also try in UEFI mode if you install the OVMF firmware.

Best,

Didier

On 17/02/2019 23:49, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Hello Didier,
>
> When I installed I pressed s for accessible and I did get some voice
> prompts but there were several screens in setup which said nothing, but you
> can just press enter for USA English and other defaults.
>
> I again tried in Virtual Box under Linux, it stopped. I saved the state
> and ran again, and it resumed OK.
>
> I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM Didier Spaier <did...@slint.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hello David,
>>
>> You'll need to make the target '/' partition as least 15G for a regular
>> installation, a little less if you don't install KDE. That's just
>> for the system itself as installed, without user files or additional
>> packages (bear in mind that voices are huge).
>>
>> With just 8G while installing it gets out of virtual disk space, that's
>> why it suggests that the files are corrupt. I realize that the HELP
>> entry menu of setup still mentions 6G... We, this information is very

Christopher Chaltain

непрочитано,
17. 2. 2019. 21:28:2617.2.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com, Didier Spaier, D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
I've been using KVM/Qemu with virt-manager for a bit, but one thing I
haven't figured out yet, is how to get out of full screen mode. The
instructions I've found on line talk about hitting control+alt and then
using the mouse to find a menu bar in the top middle of the screen. Has
anyone figured out how to do this as a blind user?
--
Christopher (CJ)
Chaltain at Gmail

Rudy Vener

непрочитано,
3. 7. 2019. 17:04:063.7.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com
This happens on my Vinux 5.1 system in speakup mode, which for me is all the time.

Every once in a while I accidentally hit a key which then announces: You Killed Speakup.

After that, not too surprisingly, speakup dies and I am left with a working, but non-speaking system.

Naturally I can recover by rebooting, but is there a better way?

I've already tried sudo service espeakup start. No joy.
Although it works if I stop speakup with sudo service espeakup stop. Just
not when I hit the You Killed Speakup key.

Any suggestions?
Much appreciated.

--
Rudy Vener
Website: http://www.rudyvener.com

Jude DaShiell

непрочитано,
3. 7. 2019. 18:58:573.7.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com
On the number pad, the insert key and the enter key all the way to the
right turns speakup on for you again and also turns it off.

--

Rudy Vener

непрочитано,
3. 7. 2019. 21:15:423.7.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com
That's not the same as the scenario I described.
The numpad enter key gives you the messages
You turned me off, and Hey! That's better.
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

Jude DaShiell

непрочитано,
3. 7. 2019. 21:34:343.7.19.
– vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, and when you hear hey that's better speakup is back on. However
another toggle key for speakup is the printscreen key on top of keyboard
group of three farthest to the right and the left one in that group is
the printscreen key.

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Rudy Vener wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:15:41
> From: Rudy Vener <sa...@panix.com>
> To: vinux-...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: VINUX-SUPPORT: how to recover after I kill speakup

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

непрочитано,
3. 7. 2019. 21:47:343.7.19.
– The Vinux Support Forum
On some installations NUM PAD zero and ENTER turn speakup on and off.

I can't remember which one because I'm having problems with speakup
under DEBIAN.

Best wishes,
David
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/alpine.NEB.2.21.1907032132480.10945%40panix1.panix.com.

Jim Green

непрочитано,
4. 7. 2019. 13:27:514.7.19.
– The Vinux Support Forum

Hi Gang,

Well, holding down the zero key and hitting the return key on the num-pad
will toggle speakup on and off. While off you can still hit various keys
on the num-pad and get a responce.If you hit the print-screen key, it will
totally kill speakup. Hitting it again will bring it back.

Jim Green
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/CADO5RbjE4xHvtuUnNypA9oYxiisNyj5YV%2B-sf44t%3DxKrq_8EKg%40mail.gmail.com.

Одговори свима
Одговори аутору