Tarch - Fork of Talking Arch

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 20, 2019, 1:21:13 PM9/20/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
I have not downloaded this.  I have no idea if it's the text installer - which is a great thing except new users find using fdisk a bit confusing when they want
to install on a hard drive that has Windows on it (or other operating system).

They say it's a live CD called tarch - talking arch.

I'd like to see a text install with a live CD that can be booted into X Windows - Graphical mode - to use gparted for partitioning as this can be a difficult step in installation and gparted allows you to see the partitions in a visual graphic.

TARCH ---->
Current 64 bit iso:

ISO signature for the above file:

Tarch developer key:
gpg –recv-keys 8FC8422653D562E15523260F8B61C30FCF485D73

Verify the signature once you’ve imported the key with:
gpg –verify tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.sig tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.

Checksums are:

(md5) 9ca03255a55ec7af0edcb089d8e152f2
(sha512) b9bc3888eea096d4c0afc6831e73921403abb42a3b0dcb47acd2e25f3152d2e11f3e4590e32cd05566ba1b985f21e184c4affaba48310b6e5d9065d5c79d3dad.
(verify with md5sum tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso or sha512sum tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso) and make sure it matches.

Didier Spaier

Sep 20, 2019, 2:08:59 PM9/20/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,

I have already tried tarch in a virtual machine, and as it happens, I
talked today with Deedra Waters (one of the devs, Michael Taboada being
the other one) on mumble today.

To start the installer, just press Enter after having inserted or
plugged in the installation media and wait a few seconds.

After some time it will say "Arch linux"; wait a few more seconds and
if you have several sound cards the installer lets you choose which one
to use, in all cases you will then you'll get a zsh prompt.

From there you can proceed to install Arch as indicated in:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
using espeakup but with speech.

A copy of this document is available from the installer, named
install.txt, that you can then read with cat or less or more.

So, if you are acquainted with the command line you can then install
Arch as a would a sighted person.

Have a good day,

Didier

Pawel L.

Sep 21, 2019, 1:07:44 PM9/21/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
Excuse me, perhaps, I am the "old school" fellow or I am not smart
enough but what is the point of doing the same thing all over again?
Having the accessible, talking Linux installer is obvious nowadays;
never mind specialized one like TalkingArch, Slint or some
"mainstream" ones such as Debian, Ubuntu or so.
Why do so smart individuals lose their talent and time for repeating
the same tasks all over again.
Wouldn't it be smarter to support Storme-&-Chrys' group to come up
with really good screen reader for our community instead?
I don't know what it is but I can't get it - what do we try to prove
and to whom.
Best of luck,
Pawel
> --
> Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> You can search or view our group on the web:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

> ---
> "Vinux support forum" group.
> email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/da222316-c5bf-bd55-0736-9044ada88555%40slint.fr.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 21, 2019, 1:49:51 PM9/21/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Arch does NOT have an accessible installer, TalkingArch used to provide one, but it seems it was discontinued, so TARCH entered the scene to continue to provide an accessible installer.

My opinion is that Arch takes more time to set up than it should, especially if you've gone through the process one or two times to reinstall.

ALL of the other "Easier" Arch distros have a graphic installer which is fine for sighted people but not as good as for those who are blind or who want a command line system.

Only Debian and Slint offer that as far as I know.

Debian has many self-imposed rules for itself, so when installing if your computer uses non-free drivers, you will have to search and find the Debian non-free driver iso. Also Debian because many multimedia video and audio codecs are licensed, even the free substitutes they don't carry so you have to put Debian Multimedia as a source in your sources file.

I see that Talking Arch has updated it's iso - so I guess it wasn't really dead, so now we have two TARCH and Talking Arch.

Of what's offered, Debian non-free iso and Slint are easiest to install for blind users.  Both have their deficiencies, Slint does not always have packages for applications you need, but you can read  about how you can make a package.

Vinux was excellent, but it's now stalled  and out of date, updating it is possible, but things cost money, Vinux does not have the money to hire a developer and developers do not come free except in their spare time.

Best wishes,

David

Jude DaShiell

Sep 21, 2019, 9:26:49 PM9/21/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
1) Linux is not Windows or IOS, as such Linus Torvalds intended
many flavors of Linux to come into existence and users would be able
to cull the weak ones and expand the growth of the remainers.
2) at a very basic level test accessibility on different distros and for
our
own purposes find the strong ones and not
support the wek distros.
3) some people do more with Linux than email and have specific needs
the distro they used don't accommodate.
4) Believe it or not distros of linux without accessibility do exist.
5) some distros have a wider variety of installable packages than
others.
6) sometimes a package works better on one distro than another.

On
Sat, 21
Sep 2019, Pawel L. wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:07:41
> From: Pawel L. <pltec...@gmail.com>
> To: vinux-...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: VINUX-SUPPORT: Tarch - Fork of Talking Arch
> >> I have not downloaded this.? I have no idea if it's the text installer -
> >> which is a great thing except new users find using fdisk a bit confusing
> >> when they want
> >> to install on a hard drive that has Windows on it (or other operating
> >> system).
> >>
> >> They say it's a live CD called tarch - talking arch.
> >> https://tarch.org/download-the-new-talking-arch/
> >>
> >> I'd like to see a text install with a live CD that can be booted into X
> >> Windows - Graphical mode - to use gparted for partitioning as this can be
> >> a difficult step in installation and gparted allows you to see the
> >> partitions in a visual graphic.
> >>
> >> TARCH ---->
> >> Current 64 bit iso:
> >> https://tarch.org/download/tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso
> >>
> >> ISO signature for the above file:
> >> https://tarch.org/download/tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.sig
> >>
> >> Tarch developer key:
> >> gpg ?recv-keys 8FC8422653D562E15523260F8B61C30FCF485D73
> >>
> >> Verify the signature once you?ve imported the key with:
> >> gpg ?verify tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.sig tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.
> >>
> >> Checksums are:
> >>
> >> (md5) 9ca03255a55ec7af0edcb089d8e152f2
> >> (sha512)
> >> b9bc3888eea096d4c0afc6831e73921403abb42a3b0dcb47acd2e25f3152d2e11f3e4590e32cd05566ba1b985f21e184c4affaba48310b6e5d9065d5c79d3dad.
> >> (verify with md5sum tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso or sha512sum
> >> tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso) and make sure it matches.
> >
> > --
> > Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
> > Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
> > You can search or view our group on the web:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
> > Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

> > ---
> > "Vinux support forum" group.
> > email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/da222316-c5bf-bd55-0736-9044ada88555%40slint.fr.

Thomas McMahan

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:03:44 PM9/21/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Thank you Thomas,

I knew there was one more. I tried RedHat long ago it was my first
Linux. There was some confusion a while back when there was a change
of ownership, I think about that time I heard of Vinux based on Debian
and later based on Ubuntu.

The Vinux based on Debian was my favorite because it had a massive
amount of console programs.

You can still download that:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vinuxproject/files/V2.1/Vinux-CLI-max-2.1.iso/download

I don't know how well it would work at upgrading as it's nearly 10
years old now.

Best wishes,

David
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/457E130F-26EA-4CDB-B24B-1B4CE6CAC717%40gmx.com.

Thomas McMahan

Sep 21, 2019, 10:32:31 PM9/21/19
to Vinux Support
Yep it was just leaking there in the shadows *lol*.

Have Fedora on one disk drive here do play with it at times.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/CADO5RbjkTg_KcvnM9CmONrqW8A_2tyA2pezevHaXoE%3DKYRkTmA%40mail.gmail.com.

ilovecount...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2019, 1:41:02 PM9/22/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I went to talkingarch.tk and found that the last iso is from 2017.  2 years old whare is the most reasent iso that is mentioned?  Thanks.

Matthew

> I went to talkingarch.tk and found that the last iso is from 2017.2 years old whare is the most reasent iso that is mentioned?Thanks.
>
> Matthew

ilovecount...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2019, 3:04:25 PM9/22/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have the latesed iso from the tarch.org site, but was referring to a new image someone said that the original talking arch developer had which according to talkingarch.tk is from October 2017. Sorry for the confusion.

Matthew
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vinux-suppor...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vinux-support/49e382f5-c3af-9d44-a83a-b2d54bc9a5c2%40slint.fr.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:29:09 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Matthew:

The "original" talkingarch is here, updated 2019.04.14.

Download

Here you will always find the latest version of the TalkingArch live image. You will also be able to clone the git repository to build and test the latest changes before they are released here. Please note that TalkingArch, like the official Arch Linux iso, is compatible with any 64-bit AMD/Intel (x86_64) machine.

Release info

Best wishes,

David

Kyle

Sep 22, 2019, 7:48:51 PM9/22/19
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Sorry, meant to send this to the list, but I think it went to the original sender instead.

I am the latest primary developer of the TalkingArch iso found on talkingarch.tk, which has been the correct TalkingArch website. The main reason I'm not updating it now is because I no longer have any x86_64 machine, which is required to build the iso images. Several other things occurred that caused further releases to be stopped on this version, but I will not go into any detail on this or any other public list. Suffice it to say that I personally don't consider Tarch to be a fork of TalkingArch, but rather its continuation, or a reboot if you prefer. The developers of Tarch are the same as those I wanted to take over TalkingArch once I was no longer able to work with it, so this is the iso to use now and going forward. These guys could actually use talkingarch.tk to release future isos, as they have complete permission to access the git repository and to upload to and modify the original TalkingArch website, but if not, I can probably go ahead and take it down, since it is getting quite a bit long in the tooth, and they already have the tarch.org domain and hosting for the site and files and all. I just don't think of Tarch as a fork, because the original TalkingArch hasn't seen development in some time, and probably won't, as I have completely moved to ARM hardware for some time now, and the developers of Tarch seem to be doing a good job with it so far, though I am unable to test because I don't have the needed hardware. The talkingarch.info site should work, and seems to be close to the original, but this is someone's Github fork rather than the original, which as has been noted, hasn't been updated since 2017. Talkingarch.info does have a recent update in April of this year, but it looks like Tarch was updated in June. At this point, either is more up-to-date than my version, so by all means test and report bugs to both.
Imetumwa kutoka mlango wangu

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 9:27:50 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
The talkingarch.info page needs a little update.
The command for importing the talkingarch gpg key results in conflicting
commands and as I copied it now reads:
gpg -keyserver hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyserv~ers.net -recv-keys F356BAC78EB242FE

So, how can this command get updated so it imports a key? I have gpg
and gpg2 on this machine for now.
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019,
D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 19:28:29
> From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1...@arrl.net>
> To: The Vinux Support Forum <vinux-...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: VINUX-SUPPORT: Tarch - Fork of Talking Arch
>
> Matthew:
>
> The "original" talkingarch is here, updated 2019.04.14.
>

> https://talkingarch.info/download.html
>
> Download
>
> Here you will always find the latest version of the TalkingArch live image.
> You will also be able to clone the git repository to build and test the
> latest changes before they are released here. Please note that TalkingArch,
> like the official Arch Linux iso, is compatible with any 64-bit AMD/Intel
> (x86_64) machine.
> Release info
>
> - Current release: 2019.04.14
> - Download size: 619M
> - Linux kernel version: 5.0.7.arch1-1 Download TalkingArch
> <https://github.com/alex19EP/talkingarch/releases/download/v3.1/TalkingArch-2019.04.14-x86_64.iso>
> download
> Detached signature
> <https://github.com/alex19EP/talkingarch/releases/download/v3.1/TalkingArch-2019.04.14-x86_64.iso.sig>
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David
>

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 1:41 PM <ilovecount...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I went to talkingarch.tk and found that the last iso is from 2017. 2
> > years old whare is the most reasent iso that is mentioned? Thanks.
> >

> > Matthew

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 9:32:18 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
This will work for an update:
gpg2 --recv-keys F356BAC78EB242FE

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:27:46
> From: Jude DaShiell <jdas...@panix.com>

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 9:50:34 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
The gpg key on that page got revoked by the author since it got
compromised. I found that out while trying to verify talkingarch.
I have written the author and it's possible another key hasn't been made
for this iso yet.
On Sun,
22 Sep 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:32:15

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 22, 2019, 9:51:22 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Jude,

The command is incorrect.  It should read:

gpg --keyserver=hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys F356BAC78EB242FE

With double -- and keyservers is spelled incorrectly.

The above command works.

Best regards,

David

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 10:07:56 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
This gets more fun by the minute! The errors in that gpg command were -
prefix for keyserver and recv-keys. When I corrected both of those
errors, the gpg command ran and I found where the author had stored his
key originally the server had been taken down.
So until a new gpg command with a current gpg key appears on
talkingarch.info,
the iso is unverifiable.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:50:32

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 10:14:41 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Okay, you mean it works like this?

gpg --keyserver=hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
F356BAC78EB242FE
gpg: requesting key 8EB242FE from hkps server
hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 60: SSL certificate problem: self signed
certificate in certificate chain
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0
gpg: keyserver communications error: keyserver helper internal error
gpg: keyserver communications error: general error
gpg: keyserver receive failed: general error

wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 21:27:46
> From: Jude DaShiell <jdas...@panix.com>

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 10:17:27 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
One more time, my guess is recv-keys needs an equals sign between it and
the key.
Let's see.

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 10:25:36 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
No problem importing the key with equals sign between recv-keys and the
key. However gpg --verify talkingarch with .sig file gave warning about
revoked key by author due to forgery. For that reason talkingarch for
the time being remains unverifiable.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 22:07:55

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 22, 2019, 10:32:17 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Sorry Jude, my error. I sorta figured it out, but you perfected it.

I try to be careful but I make stupid errors.

Regards,

David

Jude DaShiell

Sep 22, 2019, 10:45:49 PM9/22/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Okay, Michael Taboda's key hasn't been revoked and is as good as many of
the keys are in that it lacks a trusted signer.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:20:32
> From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1...@arrl.net>
> To: The Vinux Support Forum <vinux-...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: VINUX-SUPPORT: Tarch - Fork of Talking Arch
>
> I have not downloaded this. I have no idea if it's the text installer -
> which is a great thing except new users find using fdisk a bit confusing
> when they want
> to install on a hard drive that has Windows on it (or other operating
> system).
>
> They say it's a live CD called tarch - talking arch.
> https://tarch.org/download-the-new-talking-arch/
>
> I'd like to see a text install with a live CD that can be booted into X
> Windows - Graphical mode - to use gparted for partitioning as this can be a
> difficult step in installation and gparted allows you to see the partitions
> in a visual graphic.
>
> TARCH ---->
> Current 64 bit iso:
> https://tarch.org/download/tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso
>
> ISO signature for the above file:
> https://tarch.org/download/tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.sig
>
> Tarch developer key:
> gpg ?recv-keys 8FC8422653D562E15523260F8B61C30FCF485D73
>
> Verify the signature once you?ve imported the key with:
> gpg ?verify tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.sig tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso.
>
> Checksums are:
>
> (md5) 9ca03255a55ec7af0edcb089d8e152f2
> (sha512)
> b9bc3888eea096d4c0afc6831e73921403abb42a3b0dcb47acd2e25f3152d2e11f3e4590e32cd05566ba1b985f21e184c4affaba48310b6e5d9065d5c79d3dad.
> (verify with md5sum tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso or sha512sum
> tarch-2019.06.22-x86_64.iso) and make sure it matches.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Sep 23, 2019, 12:29:51 AM9/23/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Jude and others read this.

Mitigations

At present I (speaking only for myself) do not believe the global keyserver network is salvageable. High-risk users should stop using the keyserver network immediately.

Users who are confident editing their GnuPG configuration files should follow the following process:

  1. Open gpg.conf in a text editor. Ensure there is no line starting with keyserver. If there is, remove it.
  2. Open dirmngr.conf in a text editor. Add the line keyserver hkps://keys.openpgp.org to the end of it.

keys.openpgp.org is a new experimental keyserver which is not part of the keyserver network and has some features which make it resistant to this sort of attack. It is not a drop-in replacement: it has some limitations (for instance, its search functionality is sharply constrained). However, once you make this change you will be able to run gpg --refresh-keys with confidence.

Repairs

If you know which certificate is likely poisoned, try deleting it: this normally goes pretty quickly. If your OpenPGP installation becomes usable again, congratulations. Acquire a new unpoisoned copy of the certificate and import that.

If you don't know which certificate is poisoned, your best bet is to get a list of all your certificate IDs, delete your keyrings completely, and rebuild from scratch using known-good copies of the public certificates.

Regards,

David

--
Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org
You can search or view our group on the web: http://groups.google.com/group/vinux-support
Talk to us on IRC irc.vinuxproject.org #Vinux

Jude DaShiell

Sep 23, 2019, 12:32:54 PM9/23/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
A new signed release with a new gpg key will become available later this
month from the developer according to email I got from him this morning.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 19:28:29
> From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1...@arrl.net>
> To: The Vinux Support Forum <vinux-...@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: VINUX-SUPPORT: Tarch - Fork of Talking Arch
>
> Matthew:
>
> The "original" talkingarch is here, updated 2019.04.14.
>

> https://talkingarch.info/download.html
>
> Download
>
> Here you will always find the latest version of the TalkingArch live image.
> You will also be able to clone the git repository to build and test the
> latest changes before they are released here. Please note that TalkingArch,
> like the official Arch Linux iso, is compatible with any 64-bit AMD/Intel
> (x86_64) machine.
> Release info
>
> - Current release: 2019.04.14
> - Download size: 619M
> - Linux kernel version: 5.0.7.arch1-1 Download TalkingArch
> Best wishes,
>
> David
>

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 1:41 PM <ilovecount...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I went to talkingarch.tk and found that the last iso is from 2017. 2
> > years old whare is the most reasent iso that is mentioned? Thanks.
> >

> > Matthew

Jude DaShiell

Sep 23, 2019, 12:35:43 PM9/23/19
to The Vinux Support Forum
Same here David, I need the rubber end on a pencil often.