test

paperclip

May 20, 2021, 5:28:12 PM5/20/21
to Vinux support forum
test

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 20, 2021, 5:47:42 PM5/20/21
to The Vinux Support Forum
Many people have gone over to SLINT which is very accessible and under active development.

The Slint installer is polyglot: supported languages are Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, and Ukrainian.

Slint is accessible to visually impaired users, with speech and with a braille device, from installation to usage in a console and in graphical environments.

A wide assortment of software for servers, desktops, and laptops is provided in the installation medium.

The iso for DVD or USB stick is here:

Best wishes,

David

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 5:28 PM paperclip <paperc...@gmail.com> wrote:
test

--
Remember to frequently check our Wiki: http://wiki.vinuxproject.org
Our website: http://www.vinuxproject.org

rsjack...@gmail.com

May 21, 2021, 7:48:19 PM5/21/21
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com

I have never used slint before, however would be interested in trying it.  Is it possible to dual boot with windows 10 or run in in a virtual machine?

I have used Vinux in the past and would love to learn something new.

Rodney

fSent from Mail for Windows 10

AVG logo

www.avg.com

David Hoff Jr

May 22, 2021, 12:14:08 PM5/22/21
to vinux-...@googlegroups.com
I have a dual boot with Windows 10 and Slint. I first used the disk
management tools in Windows 10 to shrink the Windows partition, then
installed Slint to that partition. This is on an older CPU, so I am not
sure if my process will work on a new CPU.
--
<>

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

May 22, 2021, 2:38:55 PM5/22/21
to The Vinux Support Forum
David,

You forgot a crucial step but what you have is excellent.  The error you made is "then installed Slint to that partition" that's not correct.

After shrinking the partition, you have to make a new partition from the space released by shrinking the Windows partition,  I know this is what you were trying to say, but it's not clear what you are instructing others to do.

Unlike some other distros which automatically will shrink Windows, make another partition, then install the distribution - SLINT only has the choices
"use whole disk" or "Manual".

You MUST use Manual in the SLINT installation to keep Windows and Dual Boot using GRUB.

What I did was I used a USB of a LIVE LINUX CD and shrunk my Windows Partition then made a new ext4 partition from the newly freed disk space.

I did this on both an old laptop with the old DOS type of disk Master Boot Record and the newer UEFI boot method, both work well.

SLINT provides instructions here.

Best wishes,
David