Translation help query

B. Henry

Apr 12, 2016, 7:59:57 PM4/12/16
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com, vinux-doc...@googlegroups.com
As some of you may have noticed I have shared some scripts I use to fill in accessiblity gaps or just make life easier in recent months.
So far only one of these has been written to take advantage of the language configuration that is part of a configuration file that a few scripts I have
written or am writing uses.
The program IL am talking about is fluxable-newmenu.
It has English, Portuguese and Spanish translations included at this time.
Would anyone be interested in translating a few messages in to what ever language they speak? Besides notifications and such there may be a few other
small translations to do, e.g in fluxable-newmenu software categories need to be translated, e.g. office, accessories...
A few other vinux programs could benefit from a bit of internationalization, monitor toggle for instance.
I do not know if it's hard to deal with translated announcements that use characters that donot exist in English and latin languages such as Spanish or
French.
Does U T F 8 take care of this for us for most languages with out any need for intervention other than writing the announcements in the desired
language(s)?
I'm going to ask for volenteers on the support list once as well in a general sense.
To my mind Frenchwould be a good language to add beside the languages mentioned above, i.e. not only does it cover a few European countires/regions.
pretty high percentage of Africanfolks speak French.
Past that, other than perhaps simplified Chinese and Japanese, (some of the ones I'm woried about needing special treatment), I do not know which
languages would be of most value to add.
Which languages tdo current Vinux users speak most?
I say we should start amonthly survey, i.e. post a link to a survey of the months with one question, or a few questions relating to a specific issue or
theme.
This would help us in planning future releases, and in general in tuning the Vinux experience to meet current and potential users' needs.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

B. Henry

Apr 12, 2016, 9:52:41 PM4/12/16
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com, vinux-doc...@googlegroups.com
If someone has just a little of time and speaks French, I'd like/apreciate some help translating a few application menu categories.
I can do some of it, but my French is very hit or miss, Quebequois, (probably spelling that wrong), and non-technical in nature.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

B. Henry wrote:
Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 06:55:47PM -0500

Alex ARNAUD

Apr 14, 2016, 10:01:47 PM4/14/16
On 04/13/2016 03:48 AM, B. Henry wrote:
> If someone has just a little of time and speaks French, I'd like/apreciate some help translating a few application menu categories.
I'm available to help you to translate some part of your program in
French. Please give me the process (maybe the link to the SVN or GIt repo).

Best regards.

--
Alex ARNAUD