review in linuxinsider

Rick Leir

Mar 30, 2016, 1:05:35 PM3/30/16
to The Vinux Development Forum
You will have seen a Vinux review in this magazine:

It is great PR for Vinux!  "clearly a big improvement"

There are some criticisms of the text-to-speech that we could discuss (but no doubt they have already been discussed, sorry)

" If I moved the mouse too quickly, the spoken words were difficult to discern. "
This is mostly something the user can solve by moving the mouse carefully, but perhaps we could space the spoken texts with a pause or a tone.

"It also became very annoying hearing the same locational phrases and directions repeatedly."
Are there some phrases which could be abbreviated (optionally)? I could provide examples. Let's put this off until later.

" icons labels would show me about the application names. As I moved the mouse pointer to each icon in the Unity bar, I repeatedly heard "Window."
This should be something we could fix (waving hands but not saying much of use).  Unity must give us a way to read the properties of the icon?

"the lack of a search window in the Ubuntu Software Center"
Not fair, there is a search window.

Rob Whyte

Mar 30, 2016, 5:03:27 PM3/30/16
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,
I was aware of that article.
I actually emailed the author and brought him up to speed on what and why on a couple of things.
Overall it is a good article for Vinux as I discussed with him with some things that were outlined for us to improve, I thanked him for his in depth article.
cheers
Rob

Vinux Home Page: http://vinuxproject.org/
Vinux Wiki Documentation: http://vinuxproject.org/wiki/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Vinux Development Forum" group.

Bill Taylor

Mar 30, 2016, 7:24:20 PM3/30/16
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com

hi Rick,
I have been using Ubuntu software centre a bit lately, and was plagued
with "no search window". Then I found it on one box, so went back and
forth between boxes.
Finally realised that the search window is available IF Ubuntu software
centre is maximised, as opposed to being spread to full width by pulling
edges to make it bigger. (I use magnification).

Maybe default setting should be "maximised" on vinux? or did I alter it
after installation?

Bill

B. Henry

Mar 30, 2016, 9:09:06 PM3/30/16
to vinux-de...@googlegroups.com
I hardly ever use the software center, and am sure I've not customized its appearance in any way/was not maximized when
I just opened it.
There's a search item in the edit menu in caas one doesn't see it normally, even if not maximized. No hotkey though.
Ale e and two up arrows gets you there pretty quickly however.

Focus does go right there when you press that button.

--
B.H.
Registerd Linux User 521886

Bill Taylor wrote:
Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:24:13AM +1000
> --
> --
>
> Vinux Home Page: http://vinuxproject.org/
> Vinux Wiki Documentation: http://vinuxproject.org/wiki/
>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "The Vinux Development Forum" group.
End of quoted content