Thingomatic mk6+ heater cartridge

Dustin Rael

Apr 11, 2016, 12:46:21 AM4/11/16
to Vintage Makerbot
Hello all,
I recently found a Thing-O-Matic with Automated Build Platform and mk6+ stepstruder in its original packaging and completely unassembled in a cabinet at the high school where I work.
While assembling, I discovered that the wires attached to the heating cartridge that attaches to the extruder tip were severed (imgur.com/suYdisO). I'm pretty sure it's not solder-able, in fact the operating temp might be higher than the solder's melting point. And I haven't been able to find any information like a part number or any sources to purchase a replacement, as Makerbot discontinued their support for the Thing-O-Matic a while ago. Is there a way to replace or repair this?

My goal with this printer is to set it up for a couple of classes at the high school that are learning about 3d modeling and electronics hardware and software. They've stitched conductive thread into patches of felt and been able to connect LEDs to arduino Lilypads and get them to blink. Creating things with this 3d printer was going to be an upcoming surprise for the students, but if the hotend doesn't get hot, then all I think I have is a really noisy paperweight.

Any guidance in sourcing a replacement for the heating element would be greatly appreciated. As far as I can tell, it's a ceramic core heating cartridge, maybe 12v 40w, 6mm outer diameter, 26mm in length.
Would something like this, from Amazon, be compatible: http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Reprap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Printer/dp/B00Q9Z1JUU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks so much!
Dusty

Dan Newman

Apr 11, 2016, 1:10:19 AM4/11/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
On 10/04/2016 9:46 PM, Dustin Rael wrote:
> Hello all,
> I recently found a Thing-O-Matic with Automated Build Platform and mk6+
> stepstruder in its original packaging and completely unassembled in a cabinet at
> the high school where I work.
> While assembling, I discovered that the wires attached to the heating cartridge
> that attaches to the extruder tip were severed (imgur.com/suYdisO
> <http://www.imgur.com/suYdisO>). I'm pretty sure it's not solder-able, in fact
> the operating temp might be higher than the solder's melting point. And I
> haven't been able to find any information like a part number or any sources to
> purchase a replacement, as Makerbot discontinued their support for the
> Thing-O-Matic a while ago. Is there a way to replace or repair this?

It's a 12V, 40 - 45W heater cartridge. You cannot solder those wires -- braze
them, maybe. Measure the outside diameter of the cartridge and confirm whether
it is 0.25" (very likely) or 6.0 mm (unlikely). Then, from one of the many
resellers of 3D printing parts order a 12V heater cartridge of the correct
outside diameter. (Unfortunately, many of them do not list the dimensions
so you will likely have to send them e-mail inquiring.)

You mentioned that you thought yours might be 6.0 mm. I find that unlikely; my
recollection is that they were 0.25 inches making them 6.3 mm instead. Find a
pair of calipers and check as it DOES make a difference. And again, unfortunately,
many sellers do not list the dimensions.

Dan

Dan Newman

Apr 11, 2016, 1:15:57 AM4/11/16
to vintage-...@googlegroups.com
Also, be warned that a lot of Thing-o-Matics came with an inadequate PSU.
Also, the PSUs supplied would power themselves off after some period of
inactivity and have a 5 minute+ lockout period. Was pretty annoying:
printer would mysteriously shutdown and flipping the power on and off
would have no immediate effect. Many people replaced the ATX PSUs with
a 450W model. (But not just any model as you want one with a lot of
the wattage going to the +12V rails as opposed to the other
voltage rails presented.)

And another "also": don't bother with the automated build platform.
They quickly became a nuissance: flatness issues and vibration problems.
If there's an aluminum plate, use it instead. I may have some spare
aluminum plates and am willing to mail you one if you need it and
are in the US of A. (I may even have a spare Thing-o-Matic heater
cartridge, but it would be for the Mk7 not the Mk6 -- there may be
a dimensional difference, I no longer recall.)

Dan