Thanks and Agenda Error

Bill W.

Mar 3, 2012, 12:03:15 PM3/3/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
This is a really great productivity tool. I'm already getting a lot of use out of it. Thanks very much for the effort and I hope I can contribute in some way.

I haven't been able to try out the agenda view yet. I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong. The calendar displays beautifully when I press ,ag, but when I select a date I get the following error:

MacVim, only vimorg required plugins installed.
Error detected while processing function <SNR>34_OrgAgendaToBuf:
line   17:
E121: Undefined variable: g:tofile
E116: Invalid arguments for function <SNR>34_LocateFile
line   33:
E121: Undefined variable: g:showndx
E15: Invalid expression: g:showndx
line   37:
E121: Undefined variable: g:showndx
E116: Invalid arguments for function <SNR>34_OrgExpandSubtree

I hope someone can help me troubleshoot it. Let me know if there's anything else you need.
Thanks!
Bill W.

Herbert Sitz

Mar 3, 2012, 12:27:26 PM3/3/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Bill W. <bi...@wtwhitman.com> wrote:
> This is a really great productivity tool. I'm already getting a lot of use
> out of it. Thanks very much for the effort and I hope I can contribute in
> some way.
>
> I haven't been able to try out the agenda view yet. I'm afraid I'm doing
> something wrong. The calendar displays beautifully when I press ,ag, but
> when I select a date I get the following error:

Bill -- I'm not sure what the problem can be, but you should _not_ see
a calendar when you press ,ag. Pressing ,ag should bring up the
agenda dashboard, where you then choose from available options.

Couple of questions:

Are you using most recent version from github?

Does ,d bring up the date dashboard, where you can then choose a date
type and set the date using the calendar? Any issues with this? See
':h vimorg-date-metadata' for more complete info.

Does ,ag bring up the agenda dashboard? If not, what error appears at
this point? If agenda dashboard does come up, what happens when you
choose either of the first two options 'a -- agenda for current week'
or 't -- list of todo entries'. When testing you would want to make
sure that you have some headings marked with deadlines for current
week and/or marked as 'todo' or 'done' items.

-- Herb

Bill W.

Mar 3, 2012, 2:57:57 PM3/3/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Herbert Sitz <hes...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Bill W. <bi...@wtwhitman.com> wrote:
> This is a really great productivity tool. I'm already getting a lot of use
> out of it. Thanks very much for the effort and I hope I can contribute in
> some way.
>
> I haven't been able to try out the agenda view yet. I'm afraid I'm doing
> something wrong. The calendar displays beautifully when I press ,ag, but
> when I select a date I get the following error:

Bill -- I'm not sure what the problem can be, but you should _not_ see
a calendar when you press ,ag.  Pressing ,ag should bring up the
agenda dashboard, where you then choose from available options.

Whoops. The agenda dashboard comes up and looks good. My issue actually comes after I press 'a' at the dashboard and get to what I was calling the "calendar", this:
Press <f> or <b> for next or previous period, q to close agenda,
<Enter> on a heading to synch main file, <ctl-Enter> to goto line,
<tab> to cycle heading text, <shift-Enter> to cycle Todos.

Agenda view for 2012-02-27 to 2012-03-04 matching FILTER: ANY_TODO

Monday      27 February 2012 Wk9
Tuesday     28 February 2012
Wednesday   29 February 2012
Thursday     1 March 2012
Friday       2 March 2012
Saturday     3 March 2012
Sunday       4 March 2012

If I go to one of those dates and press enter, I get the error I posted earlier. Now, I think I have identified the issue. I did not have and TODOs when I was testing out the functionality. After I add a TODO, I still get the error until I go and press enter on the TODO item itself. After that, I can press enter on any date and it gives me what I would guess is the expected behavior, it does nothing.

Couple of questions:

Are you using most recent version from github?

I'm using the latest release on github that I can find. org.vim says 0.30.

Does ,d bring up the date dashboard, where you can then choose a date
type and set the date using the calendar?  Any issues with this?  See
':h vimorg-date-metadata' for more complete info.

,d works great. I can choose a date with the mouse, or type something fancy like: "next tue". This is great, by the way.

Does ,ag bring up the agenda dashboard?

Yes, ,ag brings up the agenda dashboard.

If agenda dashboard does come up, what happens when you
choose either of the first two options 'a -- agenda for current week'

The agenda comes up (what I was calling the calendar earlier)

or 't  -- list of todo entries'.

It properly lists items I have marked TODO.

When testing you would want to make
sure that you have some headings marked with deadlines for current
week and/or marked as 'todo' or 'done' items.

I had items marked as TODO, but not for the week I was initially looking at. So, I chose an empty date and that's what gives me the error until I select a proper item.

-- Herb

Herbert Sitz

Mar 3, 2012, 9:30:18 PM3/3/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Bill W. <bi...@wtwhitman.com> wrote:

> Whoops. The agenda dashboard comes up and looks good. My issue actually
> comes after I press 'a' at the dashboard and get to what I was calling the
> "calendar", this:
>
> Press <f> or <b> for next or previous period, q to close agenda,
> <Enter> on a heading to synch main file, <ctl-Enter> to goto line,
> <tab> to cycle heading text, <shift-Enter> to cycle Todos.
>
> Agenda view for 2012-02-27 to 2012-03-04 matching FILTER: ANY_TODO
>
> Monday      27 February 2012 Wk9
> Tuesday     28 February 2012
> Wednesday   29 February 2012
> Thursday     1 March 2012
> Friday       2 March 2012
> Saturday     3 March 2012
> Sunday       4 March 2012
>

> If I go to one of those dates and press enter, I get the error I posted
> earlier. Now, I think I have identified the issue. I did not have and TODOs
> when I was testing out the functionality. After I add a TODO, I still get
> the error until I go and press enter on the TODO item itself. After that, I
> can press enter on any date and it gives me what I would guess is the
> expected behavior, it does nothing.

Bill -- Thanks, that explains it. Good find; pressing <enter> on
date line should never given an error, I'll fix that in next changes.

-- Herb