Android and orgmode for vim

wbm

Sep 9, 2012, 5:40:03 PM9/9/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
I recently switched to vi from emacs in part because of orgmode for vi.   On my android tablet (asus with keyboard), terminal-ide provides a great environment for programing and editing org files - it includes vim, git, rsync, ssh, etc.  However, I have found that only the outlining from vim-orgmode works.  The agenda command does not, which is the one command I use all the time.  Does anybody have any experience getting vim-orgmode to work on terminal-ide?

I might add, that in general this is a far better solution that mobileorg, which I used for a while, but found basically not really useful.  terminal-ide supports git, so one can create a git repo for org files, and use git to manage the synchronization (or use dropbox, but that is a bit less convenient, and more error prone).

Many thanks in  advance for the help.

best wbm

Herbert Sitz

Sep 9, 2012, 8:53:42 PM9/9/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM, wbm <ben...@curriemacleod.net> wrote:
> I recently switched to vi from emacs in part because of orgmode for vi. On
> my android tablet (asus with keyboard), terminal-ide provides a great
> environment for programing and editing org files - it includes vim, git,
> rsync, ssh, etc. However, I have found that only the outlining from
> vim-orgmode works. The agenda command does not, which is the one command I
> use all the time. Does anybody have any experience getting vim-orgmode to
> work on terminal-ide?

wbm -- I don't know anything about Vim on Android, but I suspect the
problem may be that the specific compilation of vim you're using is
missing features required by VimOrganizer. Generally compiling Vim
with the 'HUGE' featureset should make sure everything you need is in
the executable, specifically I'm guessing that the Vim you're using
may not have been compiled with the 'Gui' option flag set. In Vim's
case the 'Gui' option flag is not just for graphical interfaces, you
need to have 'gui' flag to compile in support for tabs, which for
various reasons are required feature of VimOrganizer.

That's my first guess, but as I said I don't really know anything
about Android versions of Vim.

-- Herb

Herbert Sitz

Sep 9, 2012, 8:55:58 PM9/9/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM, wbm <ben...@curriemacleod.net> wrote:
> I recently switched to vi from emacs in part because of orgmode for vi. On
> my android tablet (asus with keyboard), terminal-ide provides a great
> environment for programing and editing org files - it includes vim, git,
> rsync, ssh, etc. However, I have found that only the outlining from
> vim-orgmode works. The agenda command does not, which is the one command I
> use all the time. Does anybody have any experience getting vim-orgmode to
> work on terminal-ide?

Also, I forgot to say in previous reply that VimOrganizer does
generally work fine with terminal Vim, at least with non-Android Vim.
As I said, though, the instance of Vim you're using must be compiled
with support for all features VimOrganizer uses. -- Herb

Herbert Sitz

Sep 9, 2012, 8:57:30 PM9/9/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM, wbm <ben...@curriemacleod.net> wrote:
> I recently switched to vi from emacs in part because of orgmode for vi. On
> my android tablet (asus with keyboard), terminal-ide provides a great
> environment for programing and editing org files - it includes vim, git,
> rsync, ssh, etc. However, I have found that only the outlining from
> vim-orgmode works. The agenda command does not, which is the one command I
> use all the time. Does anybody have any experience getting vim-orgmode to
> work on terminal-ide?

Also, I forgot to say in previous reply that VimOrganizer does
generally work fine with terminal Vim. As I said, though, the
instance of Vim you're using must be compiled with support for the
features VimOrganizer uses. - Herb

wbm

Sep 12, 2012, 7:35:48 AM9/12/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies - it is indeed the case that it is compiled without the gui since there is no x-server in android.  Org mode on the tablet is useful because I find the tablet more convenient to take notes with at a meeting, and take the tablet+keyboard with me on short trips.  I also use mainly vim rather than gvim.  On the tablet I also us vim for latex files.

The folding does work on the android, which is the most useful feature. The second most useful feature (and the one I use all the time) is the agenda command to find todo's all over my files.  That does not work on the android.

More generally, I am looking forward to the next update - really useful software.  With so much complex software out there, I rather like these clean text based solutions.  thanks again for the replies and keep up the great work. wbm

Herbert Sitz

Sep 12, 2012, 10:23:31 AM9/12/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:35 AM, wbm <ben...@curriemacleod.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies - it is indeed the case that it is compiled without
> the gui since there is no x-server in android. . . .

wbm --

What I was trying to say earlier is that the 'gui' compile flag is not
limited to the graphical version of Vim.

Vim source compiles to two different executables: 'gvim', which opens
a graphical version of vim, and basic 'vim', which is a console
version of vim. Contrary to intuition, the console version of vim can
be compiled with the 'gui' option flag, in which case it gains extra
features, like the 'tab' feature that VimOrganizer uses.

In short, I don't believe the lack of an x-server in Android has any
bearing on whether console vim can be compiled with the 'gui' option.

-- Herb

Herbert Sitz

Sep 12, 2012, 10:37:38 AM9/12/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Herbert Sitz <hes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:35 AM, wbm <ben...@curriemacleod.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies - it is indeed the case that it is compiled without
>> the gui since there is no x-server in android. . . .
>
> wbm --
>
> What I was trying to say earlier is that the 'gui' compile flag is not
> limited to the graphical version of Vim.

Very sorry, what I said above is mistaken. There is no 'gui' option
flag when compiling, instead the option flag you need to enable is
'windows'. There should be no issue with including the 'windows'
flag, which will enable tab pages even on console version of Vim. All
the proper option flags should be set if you just compile on Android
with the 'HUGE' feature set.

-- Herb