error when trying to use any commands for dates

Rodriguinho

Feb 14, 2012, 2:49:09 PM2/14/12
to VimOrganizer
Hi,
I' ve just installed the vimorg and I keep getting this error about
matchadd. I see that org.vim uses it but I cannot find its definition.
Does it belong to another script or is it part of newer versions of
vim (mine is 7.0)

kind regards,
Rodrigo

~
Error detected while processing function
OrgDateDashboard..OrgDateEdit..CalEdi
t:
line 12:
E117: Unknown function: matchadd
Error detected while processing function OrgDateDashboard:
line 26:
E171: Missing :endif

Herbert Sitz

Feb 14, 2012, 3:19:49 PM2/14/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Rodriguinho
<rodrigo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I' ve just installed the vimorg and I keep getting this error about
> matchadd. I see that org.vim uses it but I cannot find its definition.
> Does it belong to another script or is it part of newer versions of
> vim (mine is 7.0)
>  ~
>  Error detected while processing function
> OrgDateDashboard..OrgDateEdit..CalEdi
> t:
> line   12:
> E117: Unknown function: matchadd
> Error detected while processing function OrgDateDashboard:
> line   26:
> E171: Missing :endif

Rodrigo --

I don't see how the matchadd itself could be the main problem.

It seems more likely that the error is triggered by you not having the
Calendar.vim plugin installed. You can test for that by typing
command :Calendar and seeing if it brings up a calendar window.

If you don't have Calendar.vim installed then you need to get it from here:

Let me know if that's the problem or not, and if not I'll go from there. . .

Regards,

Herb

Rodrigo Felicio

Feb 14, 2012, 8:10:00 PM2/14/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
Hello   Herb,
Thanks for the prompt feedback. I do have calendar.vim installed and working. In fact it works ok with both vimwiki and vimoutliner scripts...
Kind regards
Rodrigo

Erik Mitchell

Feb 14, 2012, 8:24:18 PM2/14/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
Herb,
I'm on this list, even though I'm not using Vim Organizer -- I am
continuing to use Orgmode in Emacs even though I use Vim for my
programming work.

I just want to say I think you do an awesome job at responding to
queries on this list. You're a model for what I think a developer
should aim for when providing support for his work.

Regards,

Erik

--
Erik K. Mitchell
erik.m...@gmail.com

Herbert Sitz

Feb 14, 2012, 8:52:07 PM2/14/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Rodrigo Felicio
<rodrigo....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello   Herb,
> Thanks for the prompt feedback. I do have calendar.vim installed and
> working. In fact it works ok with both vimwiki and vimoutliner scripts...
> Kind regards
> Rodrigo

Rodrigo --

In double-checking it looks like matchadd() wasn't introduced until
Vim 7.2, so your using 7.0 is the problem. Sorry, I wasn't aware of
this issue.

You could probably get things to run if you commented out all the
matchadd(), clearmatches(), and matchdelete() calls, but of course
certain items would not be highlighted correctly.

Is there any special reason you're still using 7.0?

I probably won't spend time revising things to get all the
highlighting work on versions prior to 7.2, but thanks for the report,
I'll now note in docs that 7.2 is earliest version that VimOrganizer
works with.

Regards,

Herb

Herbert Sitz

Feb 14, 2012, 8:55:43 PM2/14/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Erik Mitchell <erik.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Herb,
> I'm on this list, even though I'm not using Vim Organizer -- I am
> continuing to use Orgmode in Emacs even though I use Vim for my
> programming work.
>
> I just want to say I think you do an awesome job at responding to
> queries on this list. You're a model for what I think a developer
> should aim for when providing support for his work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

Thanks Erik. It's not too hard to respond promptly to issues so far.
More important would be for me to get streamlined released process so
I can roll things out more quickly (like Orgmode). As it is I've
tended to get going with changes and then keep them private for fear
they'd break something for users out there who tried to stay with most
recent dev version. I'll have to do some thinking on how best to do
that.

Regards,

Herb

Rodrigo Felicio

Feb 15, 2012, 2:25:25 PM2/15/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointer, Herb.

Well, the reason I work with 7.0 is that it was installed in my
company computer. I~ve tried to compile vim73, but so far I am stuck
on vim not finding the correct libraries ...
Anyway, thanks for letting me know.

all the best and thanks for vimorg!
cheers,
Rodrigo

Herbert Sitz

Feb 15, 2012, 3:19:00 PM2/15/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
What OS are you running? Are you following any particular compilation
instructions or just winging it?

If you do try to compile 7.3, you would want to apply the fold
highlighting patch in the contrib directory of the VimOrganizer files.
There's one for source version you get at vim.org and one for recent
source from the development repository.

-- Herb

Rodrigo Felicio

Feb 17, 2012, 10:54:18 AM2/17/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
Hello Herb,

I have rhel 5 and vim 7.3 requires a whole bunch of libraries that
are not there and I am afraid of installing these updates for
libraries like glibc and open a can of worms...I will keep trying
though.

regards,
Rodrigo

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 10:39:05 AM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

New to VimOrganizer. Created one simple nonsense outline. Haven't installed any of the recommended plugins or Emacs yet. For now just want to check out/get conversant with basic outlining commands.

I'm wondering about something I think I know the answer to. I notice that text under a top-level heading wraps to the left column of heading text but not that of subheadings. Is it possible to get it to do so? I find text that wraps to the left of its heading very disconcerting when working with anything other than a simple list outline without any wrapping text.

I've got a few decades experience with another cult outliner, maxthink--I know orgmode and vimorganizer are more than outliners--that indented subheading text with the heading, and is just one of many maxthink features/capabilities that I fear has spoiled me for any other outliner. [In years of looking I have yet to find one that comes close.]

I gave vimoutliner a try shortly after coming to vim less than a year ago, and it's inability to deal with this problem--which I fear is a vim problem rather than a vimoutliner problem--was just one of many characteristics that drove me away from it.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Human coexistence and social life constitute the good common to us all
from which and thanks to which all cultural and social goods derive."

- Zygmunt Bauman

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 11:49:40 AM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering about something I think I know the answer to. I notice that text under a top-level heading wraps to the left column of heading text but not that of subheadings. Is it possible to get it to do so? I find text that wraps to the left of its heading very disconcerting when working with anything other than a simple list outline without any wrapping text.

Eric --

I'm not sure I understand, since what you seem to want _is_ the way
VimOrganizer does it. Text at any level of heading should wrap to
first character of its own heading text.

This is the way VimOrganizer currently works:
(exaggerated to show effect)
* Main heading
main heading text
** Sub heading
subheading text
more subheading text

It sounds like you are instead seeing this:
* Main heading
main heading text
** Sub heading
subheading text
more subheading text

Or am I misunderstanding, are you actually seeing first version above
but this is what you want?:
* Main heading
main heading text
more mainheading text
** Sub heading
subheading text
more subheading text

Any of these are doable with minor tweaks. Please just clarify what
exactly you want that you're not getting.

Regards,

Herb

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 11:58:47 AM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> New to VimOrganizer. Created one simple nonsense outline. Haven't installed any of the recommended plugins or Emacs yet. For now just want to check out/get conversant with basic outlining commands.
>
>[. . . ]

> I've got a few decades experience with another cult outliner, maxthink--I know orgmode and vimorganizer are more than outliners--that indented subheading text with the heading, and is just one of many maxthink features/capabilities that I fear has spoiled me for any other outliner. [In years of looking I have yet to find one that comes close.]

I myself worked for many years with the old DOS outliner Grandview. I
did some work on Vimoutliner and was trying to add features to make it
do a lot of what Grandview did, but eventually decided that going for
Org compatibility and having myself as main decision-maker was better
route so started from scratch on VimOrganizer.

VimOrganizer has most all of the commands of the great old outiners.
Keymappings may be different, since Vim's main advantage is its
separate modes that let you use regular alpha keys for commands, but
fairly simple to remap commands to keys you're used to. Also, if you
see some feature that's not in VimOrganizer it often is very easy to
add. It's add point where I think it is a pretty good Grandview
replacement, although I haven't sat down and down a set keybindings to
make it feel even more like Grandview, although some of default
keybindings are the same. . .

-- Herb

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 2:49:51 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand, since what you seem to want _is_ the way
> VimOrganizer does it. Text at any level of heading should wrap to
> first character of its own heading text.

Thanks for the detailed response, Herb. I want what you say is the way VimOrgnizer works--though I might want less indentation. What I'm getting instead is

wrapping-in-vimorganizer.jpg

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 3:01:48 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 11:58 AM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> I myself worked for many years with the old DOS outliner Grandview. I
> did some work on Vimoutliner and was trying to add features to make it
> do a lot of what Grandview did, but eventually decided that going for
> Org compatibility and having myself as main decision-maker was better
> route so started from scratch on VimOrganizer.

No experience with Grandview, but I've heard of it. I really did not like VimOutliner.

> VimOrganizer has most all of the commands of the great old outiners.
> Keymappings may be different, since Vim's main advantage is its
> separate modes that let you use regular alpha keys for commands, but
> fairly simple to remap commands to keys you're used to. Also, if you
> see some feature that's not in VimOrganizer it often is very easy to
> add. It's add point where I think it is a pretty good Grandview
> replacement, although I haven't sat down and down a set keybindings to
> make it feel even more like Grandview, although some of default
> keybindings are the same. . .

There's a category of MaxThink commands/functions that I have not seen on any other outliner that provide for a variety of ways of reorganizing text. E.g., commands that could divide text by word, line, or sentence; that allowed you to set up named "bins" at the top of a list into which you could put things as you scrolled through the list; and more.

MaxThink really was for thinking. And that's why I haven't found a replacement. No one else seems to have given much thought to how an outliner could be used for that purpose. Absolutely no formatting capabilities whatever. You could insert code for bolding or to force a page break. That was about it.

I've got it set up to run in DosBox on my make, but there are some eccentricities there that have lead me to use it less than I used to. Sometimes, though, I drag it out for something only it can do. I sure wish the developer would release the code so someone could port it preferably to a cross-platform application.

I'm not necessarily looking for those, though I miss them greatly. I want to see how VimOrganizer/Org-mode works first. Maybe I'll find it useful in new ways.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Any assurance economists pretend to with
regard to cause and effect is merely a pose."

- Emanuel Derman

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 3:07:49 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed response, Herb. I want what you say is the way VimOrgnizer works--though I might want less indentation. What I'm getting instead is
>

> While I'm at it, I'm getting error messages when I try to use regular Vim commands with VimOrganizer documents----i, o, <Esc> are the ones I've experienced so far. z commands work OK.

Eric -- I think all your problems are caused by having the heading
markers (the asterisks) in improper form. All headings must have
asterisks that begin in the leftmost column. The indenting effect
happens only because subheads have 1 more asterisk than their parent
so their block is indented by one column over parent.

It would probably help to carefully review the following entries in
the VimOrganizer help:

vimorg-document-structure
vimorg-new-headings

Vim/VimOrganizer is more freeform of an outliner than a dedicated tool
like MaxThink. E.g., as you experienced it's possible to make a
malformed outline. But once you understand how it works this isn't an
issue.

One thing that may throw you is the indenting for each heading block
is only one column in from previous level. This, too, becomes natural
as you work with it, and heading coloring also serves as much to
distinguish different levels (especially with the patch to Vim).
There is a feature to indent each level two (or more) columns from
previous head (the equivalent of what Org-mode calls
'odd-levels-only'), but this is not exposed to users right now and
nobody has asked for it.

-- Herb

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 3:14:05 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> There's a category of MaxThink commands/functions that I have not seen on any other outliner that provide for a variety of ways of reorganizing text. E.g., commands that could divide text by word, line, or sentence; that allowed you to set up named "bins" at the top of a list into which you could put things as you scrolled through the list; and more.

Not an exact analog, but this sounds generally like what 'tags' are
used for in the Org world. You tag each heading with as many tags as
you want. Later you can do a search for headings with any combination
of tags (and over multiple) files, and all those headings will show up
organized in the Agenda.

> I'm not necessarily looking for those, though I miss them greatly. I want to see how VimOrganizer/Org-mode works first. Maybe I'll find it useful in new ways.

If you're not wedded to Vim I would suggest checking out the real
thing, Orgmode in Emacs. It really is an amazing piece of work.
VimOrganizer currently implements a useful subset of its
functionality.

-- Herb

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 3:36:10 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> Eric -- I think all your problems are caused by having the heading
> markers (the asterisks) in improper form. All headings must have
> asterisks that begin in the leftmost column. The indenting effect
> happens only because subheads have 1 more asterisk than their parent
> so their block is indented by one column over parent.

> One thing that may throw you is the indenting for each heading block
> is only one column in from previous level.

That was it. I noticed the asterisks fading as I entered them, so I figured I was in the right place.

I don't think this solves the problem with the commands though. Even <Enter> in insert mode gives me an error message.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Hatred destroys. Love heals."

- Eknath Easwaran

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 3:39:00 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> If you're not wedded to Vim I would suggest checking out the real
> thing, Orgmode in Emacs.

Though a newbie--and not a programmer--I'm wedded to Vim.

I imagine VimOrganizer will be plenty useful. And I am no longer looking for a replacement for MaxThink--though I would certainly jump at the chance if someone offered me an equivalent or near-equivalent.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 4:31:02 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I don't think this solves the problem with the commands though. Even <Enter> in insert mode gives me an error message.

I can't imagine what that problem might be. Can you give me more
detailed info about exactly what steps you're doing, when you get the
errors (or if you _always_ get them), and exactly what the error
messages say?

Are you running any other plugins that may be out of the ordinary?

You can always review error messages by viewing output of the :messages command.

-- Herb

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 6:27:27 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
My other plugins are Vim-Addons-Manager, Taskpaper-Vim, and VimWiki.

This is a sample of the error messages I've been getting:

On "o" while in command mode:
Error detected while processing InsertEnter Auto commands for "*.org":
E117: Unknown function: org#tbl#reset_tw

On <C-R> while in insert mode:
E117: Unknown function: org#tbl#kbd_cr
E15: Invalid expression: org#tbl#kbd_cr()

On <Esc> in insert mode:
Error detected while processing InsertLeave Auto commands for "*.org":
E117: Unknown function: org#tbl#format

Thanks,
Eric Weir
eew...@bellsouth.net
Decatur, GA  USA

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Herbert Sitz

Feb 22, 2012, 7:03:32 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> My other plugins are Vim-Addons-Manager, Taskpaper-Vim, and VimWiki.
>
> This is a sample of the error messages I've been getting:

Eric -- Thanks for the info. I"m pretty sure it's a conflict with VimWiki.

Should work fine if you remove VimWiki.

I think VimOrganizer should also work fine (without disabling Vimwiki)
if you open an org file in a new Vim instance _before_ you open a
vimwiki file. In that case you will, however, get errors when you
later open a vimwiki file in the same Vim instance. Things should
also work fine if you open one Vim for your org files and a different
Vim for Vimwiki files. (At least this is the current status for me,
please let me know if your install works differently.)

I'll put this on list of things to fix, so vimwiki and org files can
be edited at same time in same Vim instance. It's my fault, I
borrowed some functions from Vimwiki in VimOrganizer and Vim seems to
be having a conflict even though I took steps that should have taken
care of the problem. Not sure if it's a bug in Vim or not, but in any
case I know a workaround.

- Herb

Eric Weir

Feb 22, 2012, 8:41:30 PM2/22/12
to vimorg...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2012, at 7:03 PM, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> I think VimOrganizer should also work fine (without disabling Vimwiki)
> if you open an org file in a new Vim instance _before_ you open a
> vimwiki file. In that case you will, however, get errors when you
> later open a vimwiki file in the same Vim instance. Things should
> also work fine if you open one Vim for your org files and a different
> Vim for Vimwiki files. (At least this is the current status for me,
> please let me know if your install works differently.)
>
> I'll put this on list of things to fix, so vimwiki and org files can
> be edited at same time in same Vim instance. It's my fault, I
> borrowed some functions from Vimwiki in VimOrganizer and Vim seems to
> be having a conflict even though I took steps that should have taken
> care of the problem. Not sure if it's a bug in Vim or not, but in any
> case I know a workaround.

No problem, Herb. I suspected it was VimWiki. I recalled a mention of VimWiki somewhere in your documentation. Likely, once I get a sense of VimOrganizer's capabilities and suitability for my uses and to my tastes, I'll be deciding between VimOrganizer and VimWiki.

Not exactly clear about an "instance." Does a different tab in a GUI Vim [MacVim] count? Or do I need a completely separate window?

I've noticed others comment on it, but I also really appreciate you're quick and detailed responses here.

Sincerely,