August meetup - what shall we do?

Drew Neil

Jul 31, 2013, 12:07:26 PM7/31/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
We've booked the room at Forward for our August meetup on Tuesday the 27th:

Topic: to be decided. What shall we do?

The turnout for last night's Vimscript Dojo was lower than usual (around 20 showed up), but those who attended got a lot out of it. We learned a lot, and laughed a lot too. I'm tempted to schedule another hands-on session for the August meetup. We could do a continuation of the Vimscript Dojo, perhaps moving on from pure features of the Vimscript language, and on to something more practical, for example: writing an indentation plugin or syntax file following the same TDD style.

Alternatively, we could do a hands-on Vimgolf session, like the one we did back in November 2012 (http://www.meetup.com/Vim-London/events/91388002/).

Or we get together some presentations on Vim, as usual.

What would you like to do? Please fill out this 1-question poll:

Drew
:x

Oliver Caldwell

Aug 1, 2013, 9:50:04 AM8/1/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
It was a 33.3% split when I voted, so hopefully one pulls ahead. I voted for Vimgolf, I've never done a challenge on my own, let alone with a group, so that sounds like it would be fun.

If anyone has anything really cool that they would like to present then I would probably vote for that instead. I don't know if too much hands on will drive some people away. (I hope not! It was really good)

I wonder if another hands on night could be based around a single large plugin (CtrlP or syntastic for example). Split off into groups and see how many issues can be resolved and pull requests made in the two hour slot?

Oliver.

Drew Neil

Aug 2, 2013, 6:37:15 AM8/2/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Oliver Caldwell <olli...@gmail.com> wrote:
It was a 33.3% split when I voted, so hopefully one pulls ahead. I voted for Vimgolf, I've never done a challenge on my own, let alone with a group, so that sounds like it would be fun.

Last time we did a VimGolf night it was great fun. Again, smaller turnout than usual, but those who came got a lot out of it.

If anyone has anything really cool that they would like to present then I would probably vote for that instead. I don't know if too much hands on will drive some people away. (I hope not! It was really good)

Based on our two hands-on events so far, there looks to be a pattern where attendance drops to about a third of the usual. Then again, it might just be a matter of timing. VimGolf Night took place late November, when everyone was preparing for Christmas parties. The Vimscript Dojo took place in the middle of the Summer holidays. August is usually a slow month too, so perhaps we can anticipate a low turnout whatever we do.

In any case, I'm not concerned about smaller numbers of attendees. I want Vim London to grow as a community, and that means going deep as well as broad. At our Vimscript Dojo, I got to chat with everybody and learn the names of people who have attended past events.

I wonder if another hands on night could be based around a single large plugin (CtrlP or syntastic for example). Split off into groups and see how many issues can be resolved and pull requests made in the two hour slot?

That's a nice idea, but I reckon it might be a tad ambitious.

Drew

On Wednesday, 31 July 2013 17:07:26 UTC+1, Drew Neil wrote:
[...]

Kris Jenkins

Aug 6, 2013, 9:38:27 AM8/6/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
We've not really done anything language-specific. Vim essentials for Ruby, Python, etc.? Maybe picking 3 languages so there's something for most people? We could structure it as three short talks followed by a breakout into setup clinics, perhaps.

I'm also up for more Vimscript or Vimgolf.

Kris

Drew Neil

Aug 6, 2013, 9:46:27 AM8/6/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com

I'm also up for more Vimscript or Vimgolf.

At present, with only 4 votes cast, the Vimgolf night is in the lead:

We've not really done anything language-specific. Vim essentials for Ruby, Python, etc.? Maybe picking 3 languages so there's something for most people? We could structure it as three short talks followed by a breakout into setup clinics, perhaps.

That's a great idea. If we don't get it together in time for the August meetup, we could do it in September instead. As it happens, I've just been working on a series of 3 screencasts about Vim for Rubyists. I could adapt that material for a presentation. Would anyone like to volunteer to speak about another language? Javascript, Python, Closure, you name it.

Kris Jenkins

Aug 6, 2013, 12:29:44 PM8/6/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com

At present, with only 4 votes cast, the Vimgolf night is in the lead:

I'm going to abstain, because I vote for all three. ;-)

We've not really done anything language-specific. Vim essentials for Ruby, Python, etc.? Maybe picking 3 languages so there's something for most people? We could structure it as three short talks followed by a breakout into setup clinics, perhaps.

That's a great idea. If we don't get it together in time for the August meetup, we could do it in September instead. As it happens, I've just been working on a series of 3 screencasts about Vim for Rubyists. I could adapt that material for a presentation. Would anyone like to volunteer to speak about another language? Javascript, Python, Closure, you name it.

I'll volunteer for Clojure if you like. Hmm...I wonder if anyone would like to do something on writing folding or omnicomplete functions?

Drew Neil

Aug 12, 2013, 5:06:35 AM8/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
This is your last chance to cast your vote on what we'll do at our August Vim London meetup:

Drew Neil

Aug 12, 2013, 7:24:13 AM8/12/13
to viml...@googlegroups.com
It's VimGolf Night! http://www.meetup.com/Vim-London/events/126387202/ This won the poll with a convincing 3 votes, leaving the other options floundering with a mere 2 votes each.

We tried this last November and it was great fun. I'm looking forward to repeating it.

Drew