Error building Vim

Salman Halim

May 27, 2024, 11:09:40 PMMay 27
to Vim Users
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a new Windows 11 laptop and have followed the steps in INSTALLpc.txt after getting the latest Vim repository from git. When I try to compile with Python support, I get the following error and compilation stops. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do about this.

if_python.c:66:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
   66 | #include <Python.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

My command-line (executed from inside vim/src):

mingw32-make -f Make_ming.mak -j$NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS GUI=yes FEATURES=HUGE PYTHON3=c:/Python312 PYTHON3_VER=312 PYTHON=c:/Python27 PYTHON_VER=27 DYNAMIC_PYTHON=yes STATIC_STDCPLUS=yes DIRECTX=yes

I've tried changing 'mingw32-make' to just 'make' and still get the same error. Running it with 'clean' instead of all the other parameters works as expected.

I would appreciate any help here, please.

Thank you and best regards,

--

Salman

I, too, shall something make and glory in the making.

Enan Ajmain

Jun 3, 2024, 12:29:49 AMJun 3
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 May 2024 23:09:16 -0400
Salman Halim <salma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up a new Windows 11 laptop and have followed the steps in
> INSTALLpc.txt after getting the latest Vim repository from git. When I try
> to compile with Python support, I get the following error and compilation
> stops. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do about this.
>
> if_python.c:66:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
> 66 | #include <Python.h>
> | ^~~~~~~~~~
> compilation terminated.

Your compiler is failing to find the python header file. MinGW doesn't
provide headers for Python. You'll have to provide it yourself.

Install Python. Install the version you want. Get the location of the
executable by running Python and then running these Python statements:

import sys
print(sys.executable)

Assume the output is: C:\Python\python.exe

Then go into C:\Python and you should see a include/ folder (also a lib/
folder, which will come into use later). There should be a Python.h
file, and all other Python-related header files, in this folder. Add
this folder to the include folders when running the compiler (-I flag).

You'll also have to add the lib/ folder to the library folders when
linking (-l flag). I can't remember the specific commands or flags.
Since you're building from source, I'm sure you know your C and GCC.

Good luck.

--
Enan

Salman Halim

Jun 3, 2024, 12:37:08 AMJun 3
to Vim Users
Enan,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I had, indeed, failed to install both Python 2 and 3 and had only installed 3, though was building for both. Once I figured out that beginner error, I've been doing just fine with it.

I got lucky with putting everything in my PATH, but the -I tip isn't something I'd thought to include myself. Very useful.

Thank you, again.

Salman

---