Mapping shift-space

tpik...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2008, 4:16:46 PM8/31/08
to vim_use, dic...@invisible-island.net
Hi,

Mapping <S-space> became possible in version 7.2 of Gtk2 gvim, but is
there a way to map it in text-mode vim running on xterm or similar in
Linux?

At least on my system, the shift-space combination generates nothing
to the application running in the terminal by default. But, I can
assign an arbitrary string to shift-space key combination in xterm by
putting something like this to my .Xdefaults :

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \
Shift<Key>space : string("_")

Is there an escape sequence which vim could recognize as <S-space> and
which would also hopefully not confuse other console applications?

Browsing through http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.txt
does not give an obvious candidate, although something like 'SS3 SP'
which is generated from a space key present in the numpad some
keyboards would perhaps work.

Best,

Teemu