Vim 8 64-bit for windows 10?

boB Stepp

Sep 13, 2016, 10:08:32 PM9/13/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2. Where can I find the 64-bit version?

TIA!

--
boB

Sven Guckes

Sep 13, 2016, 10:49:03 PM9/13/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
* boB Stepp <robert...@gmail.com> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
> I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2. Where can I find the 64-bit version?

http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
Win64
The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
There was a 64-bit binary, but it
wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.

well - this is what's available now:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/README

-- version 8.0.2 --

8021086 gvim80.exe V8.0.2 complete self-installing package

10754188 vim80rt.zip V8.0.2 runtime files
1435716 gvim80.zip V8.0.2 GUI bin for Windows 95/NT and later
1555188 gvim80ole.zip V8.0.2 GUI bin with OLE and VisVim
1285101 vim80w32.zip V8.0.2 bin Windows NT/XP console
3313504 vim80src.zip V8.0.2 sources packed for MS-DOS

5426176 gvim80.pdb debugging info for gvim80ole.zip
6491136 gvim80ole.pdb debugging info for gvim80w32.zip
5180416 vim80w32.pdb debugging info for gvim80.zip

enjoy! :)

Sven

--
Vimfest 2016 on Sep16-18 in Berlin at IN-Berlin
2016-09-16/18 Fr-Sa VimFest http://vimfest.de/

Eric Christopherson

Sep 13, 2016, 11:25:13 PM9/13/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, Sven Guckes wrote:
> * boB Stepp <robert...@gmail.com> [2016-09-14 04:36]:
> > I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> > 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2. Where can I find the 64-bit version?
>
> http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
> Win64
> The 32-bit version of Vim runs fine on 64-bit windows.
> There was a 64-bit binary, but it
> wasn't used much and maintenance stopped.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't there some problem with creating an
"Edit in Vim" Explorer context menu entry when the bits of Explorer
don't match those of Vim?

--
Eric Christopherson

Christian Brabandt

Sep 14, 2016, 3:08:24 AM9/14/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Am 2016-09-14 04:08, schrieb boB Stepp:
> I tried the link given in the announcement, but this installed a
> 32-bit version of Vim 8.0.2. Where can I find the 64-bit version?

You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
and here (non-official) builds:
https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/

Best,
Christian

boB Stepp

Sep 14, 2016, 10:17:12 AM9/14/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On a similar note, the reason I was looking for 64-bit Vim, is that I
believe I previously had problems with Python within Vim when I tried
to use my normal installation of 64-bit Python. I had been getting
64-bit Vim from
https://bintray.com/veegee/generic/vim_x64/#
but there currently is no build for Vim 8.

--
boB

Eric Christopherson

Sep 14, 2016, 2:26:24 PM9/14/16
to vim_use
Is there a list of the known third-party Vim builds online?

--
        Eric Christopherson

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 14, 2016, 3:32:05 PM9/14/16
to boB Stepp, vim...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if your interfaces are 64 bit you should use 64 bit Vim. It uses a
lot more memory, that's why the 32 bit version is the default.

--
A cow comes flying over the battlements, lowing aggressively. The cow
lands on GALAHAD'S PAGE, squashing him completely.

boB Stepp

Sep 14, 2016, 10:54:20 PM9/14/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

> You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
> https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
> and here (non-official) builds:
> https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/
Thanks, Christian!

I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link. So
far all looks good. However, there is a cautionary comment on the
page which reads:

"You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."

Which DLL files are you referring to?

Thanks!
boB

Christian Brabandt

Sep 16, 2016, 6:05:42 AM9/16/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi boB!
While the binary Vims distributed at the vim-win32-installer repository
are build to include the various scripting engines (python2.7/3, lua,
perl, etc), to make use of those features you need to install those
scripting engines separatly, else you won't be able to use any of those
features.

Best,
Christian
--
Genieße dein Leben ständig, denn du bist länger tot als lebendig.

boB Stepp

Sep 16, 2016, 8:45:21 AM9/16/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

> On Mi, 14 Sep 2016, boB Stepp wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
>>
>> > You can download 64bit versions from the nightly builds:
>> > https://github.com/vim/vim-win32-installer
>> > and here (non-official) builds:
>> > https://tuxproject.de/projects/vim/

>> I downloaded the self-extracting package from the tuxproject link. So
>> far all looks good. However, there is a cautionary comment on the
>> page which reads:
>>
>> "You'll need to have the appropriate DLL files in your Vim directory
>> or somewhere in your %PATH% to make them work. They're not included."
>>
>> Which DLL files are you referring to?
>
> While the binary Vims distributed at the vim-win32-installer repository
> are build to include the various scripting engines (python2.7/3, lua,
> perl, etc), to make use of those features you need to install those
> scripting engines separatly, else you won't be able to use any of those
> features.
That's what I was hoping you meant. One further question: If I
should need a language that I am not currently using in the future,
install the language AFTER I installed Vim, will Vim find the new
language as long as I ensure the language's executable is included in
PATH?

Thanks!
boB

Christian Brabandt

Sep 16, 2016, 8:52:01 AM9/16/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi boB!
Yes I believe so.

Best,
Christian
--
Ein Volk kann nicht auf seine Genies, sondern auf das Volk, auf die
Menge stolz sein - die Genies können auf die Genies es sein.