Enabling/Disabling Vim features during compilation

li...@ifohancroft.com

Jul 20, 2021, 3:00:18 AM7/20/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I would like to apologize if this shows up twice. I have posted it (I
believe hours ago) to the @vim.org alias of the mailing list but it
hasn't shown so I am guessing I need to use the @googlegroups.com
address.

Hi,

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find an answer for. I do
suck at explaining so if anything is unclear, please let me know.

1. Obviously, excluding the features marked with '-', can each of the
features in https://vimhelp.org/various.txt.html#%2Bfeature-list be
explicitly enabled or disabled on its own during compilation?

2. Are there any features that can be disabled/enabled during
compilation
that can't be enabled/disabled by passing an option to ./configure?

If the answer to #1 is yes and the answer to #2 is no - I see that
./configure --help doesn't list a separate option for each of the
features, but there is --enable-FEATURE[=ARG] and --disable-FEATURE so I
am guessing I just replace FEATURE with the name of the feature I wish
to enable or disable and I don't actually include the + sign, just the
plain feature name, however:

3.1. If builtin_terms is enabled, whether only some terminals will be
builtin or all of them depends on whether builtin_terms is
+builtin_terms or ++builtin_terms. How do I specify ++builtin_terms as
--enable-FEATURE? Should it be --enable-+builtinterms?

3.2. I see that some features that have explicit enable/disable options
for them and require passing an argument (for example the Perl
interpreter option requires an argument whether it should be anbled or
not and whether it should be dynamically loaded) have a +feature
equivalent with separate options for the different arguments of the
builtin enable/disable option. Very clever btw! In such a case, if I
choose to enable the Perl interpret using --enable-perl and want it
loaded dynamic, instead of setting --enable-perlinterp=dynamic, do I use
just --enable-perl/dyn or should I use both --enable-perl and
--enable-perl/dyn?

Best Regards,
IFo Hancroft

li...@ifohancroft.com

Jul 22, 2021, 4:53:44 PM7/22/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Bump.

(I'm sorry, I don't know if this is allowed)