gvim on Windows: font not showing up in guifont=*

Vladimir Brik

Jun 9, 2009, 1:26:24 PM6/9/09
to v...@vim.org
Hello,

I'd like to use a font called "Verily Serif Mono"
(http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/) in gvim on Windows Vista.
However, that font isn't listed in gvim's font selector dialog even
though it's installed and other applications are able to use it.

The font is monospaced and I am able to it on Linux without problems.
I tried "set guifont=Verily_Serif_Mono:h12" but got E596: Invalid
font(s). Same thing happens for both ttf and otf formats of the font.

What could be wrong? Any suggestions on how I could get gvim to use that font?

Thanks,

Vladimir

Vladimir Brik

Jun 9, 2009, 4:46:34 PM6/9/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

bill lam

Jun 9, 2009, 9:10:31 PM6/9/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009, Vladimir Brik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to use a font called "Verily Serif Mono"
> (http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/) in gvim on Windows Vista.
> However, that font isn't listed in gvim's font selector dialog even
> though it's installed and other applications are able to use it.
>
> The font is monospaced and I am able to it on Linux without problems.
> I tried "set guifont=Verily_Serif_Mono:h12" but got E596: Invalid
> font(s). Same thing happens for both ttf and otf formats of the font.

I've never use that font, but shouldn't the syntax be

set guifont=Verily\ Serif\ Mono:h12:cDEFAULT

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Ben Fritz

Jun 10, 2009, 10:51:02 AM6/10/09
to vim_use

On Jun 9, 8:10 pm, bill lam <cbill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never use that font, but shouldn't the syntax be
>
> set guifont=Verily\ Serif\ Mono:h12:cDEFAULT

Shouldn't matter. On Windows, according to :help 'guifont', "a '_' can
be used in the place of a space."

Not sure why it wouldn't show up in the dialog. I've never debugged
font selection before.

You can try searching the wiki for guifont issues, but I don't know of
a specific tip:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=guifont&go=1

Tony Mechelynck

Jun 12, 2009, 4:43:51 AM6/12/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Maybe the font doesn't "declare" itself as monospaced, which is
something else than _actually_ having glyphs all the same width. It also
doesn't depend on being a bitmapped or scalable font (for instance,
Fixedsys, a bitmapped font, and Courier_New, a scalable font, both
declare themselves as monospaced and can both be used on gvim wherever
they are installed).

On which Linux gvim did you test it? If GTK2, it can be explained,
because GTK2 will try to use any installed font you give it, even one
which doesn't "declare" itself as monospaced. The results are not always
pretty, they can even sometimes be very ugly, especially for fonts whose
glyphs have widely varying widths.

Most non-GTK2 versions of gvim, including the Windows version, will only
accept fonts which declare themselves as monospaced. If yours doesn't,
then it will be "invalid" for Windows gvim (but not for GTK2 gvim).

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Reality is an obstacle to hallucination.