E303 Unable to load swap file

Graham Lawrence

Feb 12, 2015, 3:14:03 PM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com
To my sorrow, I updated my arch linux system, a distro that cruelly and relentlessly reminds one of the reason for the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

So now vim is a little peculiar, announcing every file with E303, could not open a swap file for this file. The help points to a defunct web page for further information, and declares this is a problem with one's X configuration.

I think this unlikely as vim behaves so whether or not X is running, and it is not that I am out of disk space either. Can anyone advise me of other possibilities?

--
Graham Lawrence

Reid Thompson

Feb 12, 2015, 3:16:43 PM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Reid Thompson
> --
*E303*
Unable to open swap file for "{filename}", recovery impossible

Vim was not able to create a swap file. You can still edit the file, but if
Vim unexpectedly exits the changes will be lost. And Vim may consume a lot of
memory when editing a big file. You may want to change the 'directory' option
to avoid this error. See |swap-file|.

Reid Thompson

Feb 12, 2015, 3:19:52 PM2/12/15
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Reid Thompson
> *E303*
> Unable to open swap file for "{filename}", recovery impossible
>
> Vim was not able to create a swap file. You can still edit the file, but if
> Vim unexpectedly exits the changes will be lost. And Vim may consume a lot of
> memory when editing a big file. You may want to change the 'directory' option
> to avoid this error. See |swap-file|.

http://superuser.com/questions/364879/how-to-open-a-new-file-in-gvim-e303-unable-to-open-swap-file

porphyry5

Feb 13, 2015, 12:13:06 PM2/13/15