alternating lines ?

Igor Lerinc

Mar 27, 2023, 12:07:58 AM3/27/23
to vim_use
how to get sort of alternating lines ?
not sure how to explain it, but if i want to have one line that is of background of colorscheme, and line after that, to have like some sort of deviation in terms of highlight. and line after this, to be again, background of colorscheme.
something like i have for current line on cursor with

    :set cursorline
    :set cursorcolumn

but i want whole file what is displayed to have that. not too much (not too strong like cursorline, but still, sligthly noticeable, enought, so it can help me see in distance on what line some text resides. because, often I need to look up closer and see if the motion i'm gonna apply is really going to the line i want it to go (as often i miss it) and that slows me

using colorscheme atom-dark

jr

Mar 27, 2023, 12:21:38 AM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
hi,

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 05:08, Igor Lerinc <igor.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> how to get sort of alternating lines ?
> not sure how to explain it, but if i want to have one line that is of background of colorscheme, and line after that, to have like some sort of deviation in terms of highlight. and line after this, to be again, ...

"ledger" style. did a little googling but didn't get (any) useful results.

--
regards, jr.

Christian Brabandt

Mar 27, 2023, 2:34:01 AM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Like this https://vi.stackexchange.com/a/10162/71 ?

Best,
Christian
--
Schnell verdientes Geld wird auch schnell ausgegeben.
-- Karin Berwind

jr

Mar 27, 2023, 3:15:03 AM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
hi,

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 07:33, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
> > "ledger" style.
like that :-) great, thanks.

--
regards, jr.
Message has been deleted

Christian Brabandt

Mar 27, 2023, 3:52:10 AM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mo, 27 Mär 2023, Igor Lerinc wrote:

> but i have performance issues.

This is not natively possible in Vim, so we have to fall-back to using
signs (which can color complete lines, not just only the text within a
line). However, to keep it in sync while editing, you have to refresh
the signs often, which causes a performance penalty. How big is your
fiel?

> and color it displays is grey. so not really useful..

You can of course customize the colors. Please read the help.

Best,
Christian
--
Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
Ubo Ot

Igor Lerinc

Mar 27, 2023, 8:00:46 AM3/27/23
to vim_use
so, when i write this, this is how i like it
but then, it removes cursorcolumn and cursorline when it's activated.

any file loads badly. like, even if i fill file with only spaces ( \n ), it will be slow when i scrool it up and down.
tried alacritty, but still same.

is that implemented in others like Neovim ?

if so, what would you recommend me to do ? i really find easier for my eyes to have those stripes, or something similar others also use. When i look horizontally, to see relative numbers, that's fine, but when it is further down, and also text is intended a lot (text start at 50% vertically of page), i can't use this program in it's fullest speed, as my eyes lose track of what row it was, and i always mistake 3-4 up/down (if i use  j/k motions, which i usually do)

jr

Mar 27, 2023, 8:11:15 AM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 at 13:00, Igor Lerinc <igor.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... when it is further down, and also text is intended a lot ...

if using GNU/Linux and depending on your file's contents, of course,
you could perhaps use 'indent' or such to reformat the text
beforehand.

--
regards, jr.

You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough
to actually try it.
(The Clash 'Know Your Rights')

this email is intended only for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential information. if you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use of this email, its dissemination,
distribution, and/or copying without prior written consent is
prohibited.

aro...@vex.net

Mar 27, 2023, 4:36:07 PM3/27/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> not sure how to explain it, but if i want to have one line that is of
> background of colorscheme, and line after that, to have like some sort of
> deviation in terms of highlight. and line after this, to be again,
> background of colorscheme.

Essentially, you want the video equivalent of "greenbar" printer paper.