New User Several Questions and Concerns

Bernard

Sep 17, 2021, 12:09:28 PM9/17/21
to vim_use
Greetings I am learning Vim (Windows 10) It is of no use to me unless I can effortlessly edit multiple files w/o a mouse I learned of tabs but am surprised I can see no way to select any tab of my choice I assumed each tab would be identified w/ a number so one can merely type something like ":gototab3" let's say to edit the tab so labeled But when I enter ":tabedit" multiple times all I see is each tab labeled "[ No Name ]" w/ no further distinguishing mark upon it I do not wish to step through a series of tabs to reach my intended destination I prefer random access not sequential Furthermore one horizontal line of text of course offers finite space I saw no mention in the Help file as to how Vim responds to the situation of more tabs created than will fit Of course upon experimentation I observed the result The Help file offers no guidance of course as to how to scroll the list of tabs in such an instance Furthermore I do not see why Vim does not offer filename completion when entering a file name for editing and provide the ability to scroll up/down the list of file and directory names relative to the current directory or relative to the directory entered Furthermore Upon merely starting Vim and resizing the console window it crashes  - Cheerio

russur...@verizon.net

Sep 17, 2021, 12:15:49 PM9/17/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I use <tab#>gt. so to go to the 5th tab i enter:

5gt

---

Gary Johnson

Sep 17, 2021, 12:35:58 PM9/17/21
to vim_use
On 2021-09-17, Bernard wrote:
> Greetings I am learning Vim (Windows 10) It is of no use to me unless I can
> effortlessly edit multiple files w/o a mouse I learned of tabs but am surprised
> I can see no way to select any tab of my choice I assumed each tab would be
> identified w/ a number so one can merely type something like ":gototab3" let's
> say to edit the tab so labeled But when I enter ":tabedit" multiple times all I
> see is each tab labeled "[ No Name ]" w/ no further distinguishing mark upon it
> I do not wish to step through a series of tabs to reach my intended destination
> I prefer random access not sequential

:help :tabnext

> Furthermore one horizontal line of text
> of course offers finite space I saw no mention in the Help file as to how Vim
> responds to the situation of more tabs created than will fit Of course upon
> experimentation I observed the result The Help file offers no guidance of
> course as to how to scroll the list of tabs in such an instance

I don't know of a solution for that.

> Furthermore I
> do not see why Vim does not offer filename completion when entering a file name
> for editing

It does have filename completion. See

:help cmdline-completion

What have you tried that doesn't seem to be working?

> and provide the ability to scroll up/down the list of file and
> directory names relative to the current directory or relative to the directory
> entered

It has this, too. See

:help :browse

> Furthermore Upon merely starting Vim and resizing the console window it
> crashes

If this is reproducible, send reproduction steps to this list and
someone will have a look.

Regards,
Gary

Lifepillar

Sep 17, 2021, 3:01:49 PM9/17/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-09-17, Bernard <bpwlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assumed each tab would be identified w/ a number

Yes, that is the case. If you want the number to show up in the tab
label, you may customize the tab line. See `:help setting-tabline`.

> so one can merely type something like ":gototab3"

:3tabnext

(See `:help :tabnext`). Or use gt, as already suggested.

> Furthermore one horizontal line of text of course offers finite space

I don't think there is a way to show tab labels that do not fit, except
by enlarging the terminal (or GUI) window.

You haven't specified what your use case is for lots of tabs. But if you
tend to open each file in a separate tab, that is not how tabs are meant
to be used. You should think of tabs as workspaces (groups of windows),
not files.

Hope this helps,
Life.

oldschoolcowboy

Sep 17, 2021, 3:40:21 PM9/17/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Using tabs as you suggested is a really good idea.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Sep 18, 2021, 2:34:58 PM9/18/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bernard
You can also use buffers.

After having multiple files open (either by passing multiple files to
vim when starting it, or by using :e </path/to/file.extension> after Vim
has already been open), you can do:

:ls

And you will see the open files, prefixed with a number.

To go to a specific file, you can do:

:b<buffer-number>

There are also keyboard shortcuts but since I don't use them, I don't
really remember them.

Best Regards,
IFo Hancroft