Unable to log in to vim.org

Brett Stahlman

Apr 15, 2023, 4:17:53 PM4/15/23
to vim_use
When I attempt to log in to vim.org to upload a script release, either the login page hangs, or I get a "query failed IX3" error. Does anyone know whether the site is down? I think I have the correct username and password but can't tell for sure.

Thanks, Brett Stahlman

Bram Moolenaar

Apr 15, 2023, 4:33:41 PM4/15/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Brett Stahlman
If you go to the home page you should see a warning for "Database
Problems". The website depends on a database, which currently isn't
working. Usually this kind of problem goes away after a short while.

I'll add a remark that this also affects login.

--
ARTHUR: No, hang on! Just answer the five questions ...
GALAHAD: Three questions ...

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Brett Stahlman

Apr 15, 2023, 4:44:05 PM4/15/23
to vim_use
On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 4:33:41 PM UTC-4 Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> When I attempt to log in to vim.org to upload a script release, either the
> login page hangs, or I get a "query failed IX3" error. Does anyone know
> whether the site is down? I think I have the correct username and password
> but can't tell for sure.

If you go to the home page you should see a warning for "Database
Problems". The website depends on a database, which currently isn't
working. Usually this kind of problem goes away after a short while.

I'll add a remark that this also affects login.

Thanks!
Brett S.

Sebastian Gödecke

Apr 17, 2023, 6:54:06 AM4/17/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hm, now it's complete offline?
Regards S

---

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Sebastian Gödecke

Christian Brabandt

Apr 17, 2023, 7:06:29 AM4/17/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mo, 17 Apr 2023, 'Sebastian Gödecke' via vim_use wrote:
> Hm, now it's complete offline?

It seems to work now again. I can login and do not see issues with the
database anymore.

Best,
Christian
--
Bei der Schürze liegt die Würze in der Kürze.

Bram Moolenaar

Apr 17, 2023, 10:54:02 AM4/17/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Christian Brabandt

Christian wrote:

> On Mo, 17 Apr 2023, 'Sebastian G=C3=B6decke' via vim_use wrote:
> > Hm, now it's complete offline?
>
> It seems to work now again. I can login and do not see issues with the
> database anymore.

For me it looks like it's fully working again. I don't have information
about what was wrong. I hope it won't happen again.

--
Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
[real standing law in Florida, United States of America]

cjsmall

Apr 17, 2023, 6:20:27 PM4/17/23
to vim_use
I have just found out that vim.org is not accessible.  Firefox reports:  "We can’t connect to the server at vim.org. Did you mean to go to www.vim.org?"

Indeed, www.vim.org does allow access to the main site.  When I attempt to ping vim.org:

# ping vim.org
ping: vim.org: Name or service not known

Pinging www.vim.org attempts to work, but it never completes.  Maybe you have ping blocked to avoid other networking problems.

In any event, it looks like vim.org is not properly forwarding to www.vim.org and not properly DNS registered..

Regards,
--
Jeffery Small

[Note: I tried sending this message as a reply from my news reader and it disappeared - likely because I had the moderator address as v...@vim.org.  This post was made on Google Groups, so apologies if the duplicate ever shows up.]

Christian Brabandt

Apr 17, 2023, 6:31:14 PM4/17/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Mo, 17 Apr 2023, cjsmall wrote:

> I have just found out that vim.org is not accessible.  Firefox reports:  "We can’t connect to the server at vim.org. Did you mean to go to www.vim.org?"
>
> Indeed, www.vim.org does allow access to the main site.  When I attempt to ping vim.org:
>
> # ping vim.org
> ping: vim.org: Name or service not known
>
> Pinging www.vim.org attempts to work, but it never completes.  Maybe you have ping blocked to avoid other networking problems.
>
> In any event, it looks like vim.org is not properly forwarding to www.vim.org and not properly DNS registered..

This has been discussed several times. TLDR: always use www.vim.org

But this is a different issue than the one reported before, which was an
issue with the database connection at the vim.org server side.

> [Note: I tried sending this message as a reply from my news reader and it disappeared - likely because I had the moderator address as v...@vim.org.  This post was made on Google Groups, so
> apologies if the duplicate ever shows up.]

I did not see any message in the moderation queue. Usually posting via a
NNTP News Reader does not work.

Best,
Chris
--
Man kann sich das menschliche Geschlecht als einen Polypen denken, so
kommt man schon auf mein System von Seelenwanderung.