You Need VIM

meine

Apr 16, 2023, 3:57:30 AM4/16/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Something to enjoy on a Sunday morning...

https://youtu.be/9n1dtmzqnCU

KR,

//meine

Steve Litt

Apr 16, 2023, 9:04:37 AM4/16/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
meine said on Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:57:20 +0200

>Something to enjoy on a Sunday morning...
>
>https://youtu.be/9n1dtmzqnCU

That's pretty bizarre :-)

When the guy says you don't need anything but Vim, it makes me ask a
question. I use VSCode to author HTML because VSCode has great
zen-coding and coaches you on tags and legal CSS identifiers and
values. The time I looked at a zen-coding addon for Vim, it was a total
mess. What HTML aware zen-coding addons are all of you using these days?

SteveT

Steve Litt

meine

Apr 16, 2023, 12:48:19 PM4/16/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> When the guy says you don't need anything but Vim, it makes me ask a
> question. I use VSCode to author HTML because VSCode has great
> zen-coding and coaches you on tags and legal CSS identifiers and
> values. The time I looked at a zen-coding addon for Vim, it was a total
> mess. What HTML aware zen-coding addons are all of you using these days?

There seem to be several plugins for zen-coding, and I encountered a
site that mentioned it is called 'Emmet' now/also.

Mayby this link helps:

https://vimawesome.com/plugin/emmet-vim

vimawesome.com is a good site and catalog for plugins, but since github
was marketed extensively there is some diversion and dispersion of
sites providing a clear catalog of working plugins...

KR,

//meine

Trev

Apr 16, 2023, 4:39:50 PM4/16/23

On April 16, 2023 12:57:20 AM PDT, meine <tria...@gmx.com> wrote:
>Something to enjoy on a Sunday morning...
>
>https://youtu.be/9n1dtmzqnCU

A little too close to home haha, which is why I am sure he uses vim plugins everywhere at least. I've seen some of his GNU gag videos and they are out of touch by comparison.

Still worth watching his other stuff though, its funny.

>KR,
>
>//meine

Benjamin Atkin

Apr 16, 2023, 5:13:38 PM4/16/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> coaches you on tags and legal CSS identifiers

i. e. autocomplete

sometimes useful, but annoying. that's why there are so many different types of it. I like ido-mode in emacs which stays out of the way, fitting into the area on the bottom of the screen. Looks like there is something like this for neovim: https://github.com/ido-nvim/ido.nvim

---

Steve Litt

Apr 16, 2023, 6:43:33 PM4/16/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Benjamin Atkin said on Sun, 16 Apr 2023 14:05:38 -0700

>> coaches you on tags and legal CSS identifiers
>
>i. e. autocomplete
>
>sometimes useful, but annoying.

When writing HTML, with its begin and end tags, ids, classes, and
values, zencoding/autocomplete saves keystrokes and trips to the
Internet to look up seldom used entities. I find it an absolute
necessity for HTML.

Sure, I write C and Python in Vim, but HTML, no, I need
zencoding/autocoding.

Enan Ajmain

Apr 16, 2023, 11:40:33 PM4/16/23
to Steve Litt, vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:04:25 -0400
Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> meine said on Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:57:20 +0200
>
> >Something to enjoy on a Sunday morning...
> >
> >https://youtu.be/9n1dtmzqnCU
>
> That's pretty bizarre :-)
>
> When the guy says you don't need anything but Vim, it makes me ask a
> question. I use VSCode to author HTML because VSCode has great
> zen-coding and coaches you on tags and legal CSS identifiers and
> values. The time I looked at a zen-coding addon for Vim, it was a
> total mess. What HTML aware zen-coding addons are all of you using
> these days?

Damn! you're committing _hard_. You do realize the video is a parody,
right?

--
Enan

rwmit...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2023, 7:08:20 AM4/17/23
to vim_use
No, no it isn't.  Vim is the way.  All else is peril.

meine

Apr 17, 2023, 3:56:28 PM4/17/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Glad to see the show here :-) TNX!