How to get ruby support for gvim73 on a windows XP machine.

47 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeri Raye

unread,
Aug 20, 2010, 11:03:02 AM8/20/10
to v...@vim.org
Hi,

I'm using gvim73 on windows xp.
I tried to use the command-t plugin.
This gives the message that vim needs to be compiled with ruby support.

I'm a complete newbie on compiling gvim.
I understand it's possible on a linux machine.
But how to do that on windows XP?
Or can you give a ruby.dll or something to get this supported without
compiling it?

If not, which (open source?) compiler do you need for that on a windows
XP machine?

Rgds,
Jeri

Jeri Raye

unread,
Aug 21, 2010, 5:29:43 AM8/21/10
to v...@vim.org

Jeri Raye wrote on 20-8-2010 17:03:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using gvim73 on windows xp.
[snip]

> I'm a complete newbie on compiling gvim.
> But how to do that on windows XP?
[snip]

> If not, which (open source?) compiler do you need for that on a windows
> XP machine?

I'll give this a try
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/howto/win32-compile/Vim-Compile-Win32-HOWTO.pdf

Rgds,
Jeri

sc

unread,
Aug 21, 2010, 10:16:52 AM8/21/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> [snip]

> [snip]

yikes -- that pdf is OLD -- looking at

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net

i see the first search box is labeled "Search the latest
documentation (Updated 2009-06-13 for Vim 7.2.197):"

i think the site should be updated or whacked...

sc

Jeri Raye

unread,
Aug 22, 2010, 4:34:11 AM8/22/10
to v...@vim.org
Compiling gvim to get ruby support is not needed.

I read in the documentation of the command-t plugin that you can
download the installer from
http://rubyinstaller.org/download.html

Rgds,
Jeri

Tony Mechelynck

unread,
Aug 22, 2010, 4:10:15 PM8/22/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com

If it was updated for 7.2.197 it should apply mutatis mutandis to 7.3
with the following differences:
- You can now download the latest Vim sources from Bram's Mercurial
repository, see
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
- If you decide to get the source archive over ftp, the extra and lang
archives have been retired (the "main" archive contains everything); and
of course the archive's filename includes 7.3 instead of 7.2
- See also http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
with the following caveats:
- The Cygwin C compiler/linker for native-Windows may have a longer
name than just gcc.exe: lines 43-47 of the current Make_cyg.mak seem to
mean that CC should be set to gcc-3 (which in turn requires overriding
the makefile default) and -L/lib/w32api added to EXTRA_LIBS
- Or you may prefer using MinGW gcc instead (with the Make_ming.mak
makefile and similar but not necessarily identical environment settings)
- The Make_cyg.mak mentions in its text "Last Change: 2010 Feb 24"
but actually it was modified on 2010-08-17; for instance it mentions the
Lua interface which hadn't yet been added to Vim in February.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
MICHAEL PALIN PLAYED: 1ST SOLDIER WITH A KEEN INTEREST IN BIRDS, DENNIS, MR
DUCK (A VILLAGE CARPENTER WHO IS ALMOST KEENER THAN
ANYONE ELSE TO BURN WITCHES), THREE-HEADED
KNIGHT, SIR
GALAHAD, KING OF SWAMP CASTLE, BROTHER MAYNARD'S
ROOMATE
"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
PICTURES LTD

Jeri Raye

unread,
Aug 23, 2010, 4:02:18 AM8/23/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Tony Mechelynck wrote on 22-8-2010 22:10:
>>> Jeri Raye wrote on 20-8-2010 17:03:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I'm using gvim73 on windows xp.
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>>> I'm a complete newbie on compiling gvim.
>>>> But how to do that on windows XP?
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
[snip]

> - You can now download the latest Vim sources from Bram's Mercurial
> repository, see
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
> - If you decide to get the source archive over ftp, the extra and lang
> archives have been retired (the "main" archive contains everything); and
> of course the archive's filename includes 7.3 instead of 7.2
> - See also http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
> with the following caveats:
> - The Cygwin C compiler/linker for native-Windows may have a longer
> name than just gcc.exe: lines 43-47 of the current Make_cyg.mak seem to
> mean that CC should be set to gcc-3 (which in turn requires overriding
> the makefile default) and -L/lib/w32api added to EXTRA_LIBS
> - Or you may prefer using MinGW gcc instead (with the Make_ming.mak
> makefile and similar but not necessarily identical environment settings)
> - The Make_cyg.mak mentions in its text "Last Change: 2010 Feb 24" but
> actually it was modified on 2010-08-17; for instance it mentions the Lua
> interface which hadn't yet been added to Vim in February.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

gvim 7.2.0 (offical release aug 2008) and 7.3 (just relaesed) give boths
-ruby when I asked it with: "vim --version"

There isn't any other way to get ruby code to work with gvim, besides
compiling it?
I'm kinda scared in compiling the whole sources.

Rgds,
Jeri

John Beckett

unread,
Aug 23, 2010, 4:59:01 AM8/23/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Jeri Raye wrote:
> There isn't any other way to get ruby code to work with gvim,
> besides compiling it?

I think you want Vim for Windows? See 'Vim without Cream' at:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/download

That gives you a 'huge' build which includes Ruby. The release
notes include:
-DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL="msvcrt-ruby18.dll" -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=18

I guess that specifies what version is required?

John

Tony Mechelynck

unread,
Aug 23, 2010, 8:10:07 AM8/23/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, John Beckett

Yes, it would mean Ruby 1.8.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Are you a turtle?

Ben Fritz

unread,
Aug 23, 2010, 11:42:59 AM8/23/10
to vim_use


On Aug 23, 3:02 am, Jeri Raye <jeri.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> gvim 7.2.0 (offical release aug 2008) and 7.3 (just relaesed) give boths
> -ruby when I asked it with: "vim --version"
>

Yes, but at least the gvim 7.3 installer I grabbed from vim.org has
"+ruby/dyn" which means it has ruby support, you just need Ruby
installed to a place Vim can find it and Vim will use the existing
installation rather than including its own.

Jeri Raye

unread,
Aug 23, 2010, 2:36:28 PM8/23/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I have it now working with the vim without cream but with ruby support.
I have installed also ruby 187
And the development kit 3.4.5.

Many thanks for all the help, as always.

Rgds,
Jeri

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages