xfce/terminal right click send vim to "visual" mode

Robert H

Sep 25, 2009, 11:26:39 AM9/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
When I copy data from one Terminal to another using the right mouse
button it changes the mode to "visual" and doesn't show the menu to
paste. I don't think I see this when I switch to gnome-terminal.

Bob

Jason Axelson

Sep 25, 2009, 2:09:01 PM9/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bob,

It sounds like the mouse is being used by vim when you would prefer it
not to. Try looking at:

:help mouse

Alternatively, simply hold down shift while dragging/clicking should
do the trick.

Jason

Robert H

Sep 25, 2009, 9:55:54 PM9/25/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I always forget that last one. :-)

Thanks!

Adams Wang

Sep 26, 2009, 7:24:25 AM9/26/09
to vim_use
Maybe, you can use commands "*y and "*p to yank text to system
clipboard and paste text on clipboard to vim buffer.
Ad

MK

Sep 26, 2009, 10:42:56 AM9/26/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 09/25/2009 09:55:54 PM, Robert H wrote:

> On 9/25/09 2:09 PM, Jason Axelson wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Robert H<sig...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> When I copy data from one Terminal to another using the right
> mouse
> >> button it changes the mode to "visual" and doesn't show the menu
> >> paste. I don't think I see this when I switch to gnome-terminal.

I use the XFCE Terminal (because it is better than all the others!) and
I don't have this problem at all.

You may want to have a look under Preferences->shortcuts:

if that is set without the shift it could cause a conflict (altho I
would not think a keyboard shortcut for a mouse click would be fired by
the mouse click, and actually I tried and it does not seem to...).
Also, my $TERM setting (under Preferences->advanced) is xterm.

Good luck.

John Little

Sep 27, 2009, 6:17:11 PM9/27/09
to vim_use
On Sep 27, 3:42 am, MK <halfcountp...@intergate.com> wrote:

> I use the XFCE Terminal (because it is better than all the others!)

Slightly OT, sorry, but I'm always on the lookout for a better
terminal.

Does it allow you to control the blink rate of the cursor? I use
gnome-terminal in KDE simply because it has that, but it's sometimes
flaky, due to need to run the gnome settings daemon without gnome.
Konsole only recently got a blinking cursor, but it doesn't honour the
KDE blink rate setting, and at 1 Hz is far too slow. (When various
motions in vim, often one doesn't know where the cursor will be, so
spotting it quickly is good.)

Regards, John

Harry Putnam

Sep 27, 2009, 7:00:33 PM9/27/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
John Little <john.b...@gmail.com> writes:

You didn't say if you were looking for a terminal with that capability
but in case you are I see a chance to plug for my favorite:

I've always found, in the end the regular xterm is more feature rich
than you can imagine and all other terminal emulators use a subset of
what xterm is capable of.

That statement might be inaccurate since I haven't researched every
terminal emulator... but in practice... with kde xfce gnome fluxbox,
blackbox and few I've forgotten the name of... xterm was always
better.

Concerning blinking
From xterm man page:

-bc turn on text cursor blinking. This overrides the cursorBlink
resource.

-bcf milliseconds
set the amount of time text cursor is off when blinking via the curso-
rOffTime resource.

-bcn milliseconds
set the amount of time text cursor is on when blinking via the curso-
rOffTime resource.

Matt Wozniski

Sep 28, 2009, 12:20:16 PM9/28/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:

> John Little writes:

>> On Sep 27, 3:42 am, MK wrote:
>>
>>> I use the XFCE Terminal (because it is better than all the others!)
>>
>> Slightly OT, sorry, but I'm always on the lookout for a better
>> terminal.
>
> I've always found, in the end the regular xterm is more feature rich
> than you can imagine and all other terminal emulators use a subset of
> what xterm is capable of.

As long as we're going off-topic... +1 for xterm as the best.

~Matt

pansz

Sep 29, 2009, 1:58:46 AM9/29/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Harry Putnam 写道:

> That statement might be inaccurate since I haven't researched every
> terminal emulator... but in practice... with kde xfce gnome fluxbox,
> blackbox and few I've forgotten the name of... xterm was always
> better.

I'd always been trying to use xterm but in vain,

Does xterm support anti-aliased font? (The Xft font rendering)

Does xterm support dynamically change the cursor shape? (use ESC code to
change from block cursor to ibeam cursor and vice versa)

Does xterm support a background image as a watermark? (This is different
from window transparency, because I need the background image even if
the terminal window overlaps another window)

Gene Kwiecinski

Sep 29, 2009, 11:45:50 AM9/29/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
>Does xterm support dynamically change the cursor shape? (use ESC code to
>change from block cursor to ibeam cursor and vice versa)

Doesn't make sense, as a block- (either full- or half-) or underline-cursor is *on* a character, but an I-beam cursor is generally *between* characters.

Gene Kwiecinski

Sep 29, 2009, 11:50:59 AM9/29/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Okay, flipped the coin, came out with longlines, let's try this again...

Thomas Dickey

Sep 29, 2009, 8:07:46 PM9/29/09
to vim_use
On Sep 29, 1:58 am, pansz <panshi...@routon.com> wrote:
> I'd always been trying to use xterm but in vain,

man xterm...

> Does xterm support anti-aliased font? (The Xft font rendering)

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html#xterm_156
Patch #156 - 2001/4/28 - XFree86 4.0.3
document -fa, -fs command-line options and faceName, faceSize
resources which are used by the freetype library support

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dic...@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net

pansz

Oct 9, 2009, 3:27:13 AM10/9/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Gene Kwiecinski 写道:

I-beam cursor can be at the first pixel column of the charactor, like
konsole in KDE4 does.

Tony Mechelynck

Oct 24, 2009, 11:56:42 PM10/24/09
to vim...@googlegroups.com
...or gvim (when in Insert mode or in Command-line insertion mode), and
after using that for some years, I find that it makes a whole lot of
sense, since typing a character there will "push rightwards" the current
contents of that character cell plus zero or more additional bytes
including the end-of-line.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
We don't understand the software, and sometimes we don't understand the
hardware, but we can *see* the blinking lights!

John Little

Apr 14, 2012, 6:18:24 AM4/14/12
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, September 28, 2009 11:17:11 AM UTC+13, John Little wrote:

> Does it allow you to control the blink rate of the cursor? I use
> gnome-terminal in KDE simply because it has that, but it's sometimes
> flaky, due to need to run the gnome settings daemon without gnome.
> Konsole only recently got a blinking cursor

An update 18 months later... I finally found out how to control the blink rate in konsole: it's a Qt setting, controllable using "qtconfig", or editing the cursorFlashTime entry in the [qt] section of ~/config/Trolltech.conf.

I'd never thought to google for "qt cursor blink", always KDE or konsole.

Incidentally, I gave xterm a serious try out but it kept the input focus when starting gvim. I've just discovered that unsetting DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID solves that glitch.

regards, John