iCloud Drive does not show in netrw

Eric Weir

May 11, 2022, 3:03:38 PM5/11/22
to vim_mac

I’m trying to get syncing setup between iVim on an iPad and MacVim on a MacBook. I think iVim’s iexdir workaround Apple’s sandboxing on the iPad is going to the job.

I’ve put my iVim directories in a directory in iCloud Drive. The problem I’ve encountered is that I don’t know how to access iCloud Drive from MacVim. It doesn’t show up in the directory list when I do netrw. iCloud Drive (Archive) is there but not iCloud Drive.

Help appreciated. I’m a minimally proficient vim user. A writer not a coder.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"It has all been combustion.”

- W.G. Sebald

Lifepillar

May 13, 2022, 6:18:45 AM5/13/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-05-11, Eric Weir <eew...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I don’t know how to access iCloud Drive from MacVim. It doesn’t show up
>in the directory list when I do netrw.

The path to the iCloud drive should be:

/Macintosh HD/<Username>/Library/Mobile Documents.

("Macintosh HD" is the default name of your computer's disk: you may
have changed it). With netrw, you should navigate up to the top
directory, then follow the path shown above.

The names of the directories inside "Mobile Documents" have some garbage
attached, but you should easily recognize the ones you need.

Hope this helps,
Life.

Eric Weir

Jun 1, 2022, 11:34:17 AM6/1/22
to vim_mac
Thanks. Definitely does. Never would’ve thought to look there. I’ve since discovered that I can reach it from the file picker that opens when I go to file/open on the menu bar.

FWIW, I’m a writer who likes vim, not a programmer, coder, hacker. I needed a lot of help back at the beginning. Lately also after coming back from an absence, trying to get syncing going between macvim on a MacBook and ivim on an iPad.

I greatly appreciate the help I get here.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

- Chief Seattle