:tabe not working when installing macvim via homebrew

Ludwig Striet

Dec 10, 2023, 5:15:05 AM12/10/23
to vim_mac
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new using Mac coming from Linux and was trying to make it feel a bit more home by installing macvim. Now, I am having the following trouble:

When I install macvim through homebrew, say

brew install macvim

it seems to work fine, but the :take command is not working proberly. When I open a new tab using :tabe command, I am getting a grey window looking as attached.Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-09 um 12.43.38.png
The window works, however, fine in the sense that I can open a file and blindly edit it and write using the :w command and so on.

The problem does not occur when I install macvim through the package downloaded from macvim.org. However, installing software through browser seems a bit inconvenient, and it does not set the appropriate terminal commands to open etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards
Ludwig

Yee Cheng Chin

Jan 4, 2024, 2:23:52 AMJan 4
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. This issue was caused by the macOS 14 SDK having a different clipping behavior. The r178 binary release (that you can download from the website) was still built using macOS 13 SDK but Homebrew moved to using the macOS 14 SDK before the proper fix was implemented. This issue was fixed last week (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/158465) so the Homebrew version is fixed now.

FWIW, if you want to just use the official binary release but via the command line (and also having default terminal commands mapped), you could use Homebrew Cask instead (basically, do "brew cask install macvim" instead of "brew install macvim"). The difference is that Homebrew Cask just grabs the binary release for you, install it, and maps the terminal commands. There are some pros and cons to whether you want to install via Homebrew itself or use the official binary release (either by downloading from the website, or use Homebrew cask) so it's up to you.

---