Accessing a folder in iCloud Drive

Eric Weir

Apr 12, 2023, 12:13:53 PM4/12/23
to vim_mac

With Vim Anywhere I can compose and edit markdown files in my Obsidian Vault which I have in iCloud Drive.

I would like to use Vim for composing, editing, organizing of long longer form documents. But the iCloud Drive folder is buried deep in the Library folder.

How can I make it directly accessible?

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"(I)t is important that awake people be awake... the darkness around us is deep."

- William Stafford

Xell Liu

Apr 12, 2023, 12:47:49 PM4/12/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Emm, for example, I think you could just have a mapping like:

nmap <Leader>n :e ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud~md~obsidian/Documents/Notes/Name-Of-Your-Vault/<CR>

Best,
Xell

---

Eric Weir

Apr 12, 2023, 2:43:58 PM4/12/23
to vim_mac

> On Apr 12, 2023, at 12:47 PM, Xell Liu <xell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Emm, for example, I think you could just have a mapping like:
>
> nmap <Leader>n :e ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/iCloud~md~obsidian/Documents/Notes/Name-Of-Your-Vault/<CR>

Did the trick.Thanks very much, Xell.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"The invincible shield of caring Is a weapon
sent from the sky against being dead."

- Tao Te Ching 67

Chad Davis

Apr 12, 2023, 6:12:04 PM4/12/23
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Since we're talking about vim and Obsidian I just wanted to throw out that the vim mode in Obsidian works really well IMO. You're probably already using it when using Obsidian itself but if not definitely check it out!

---

Eric Weir

Apr 13, 2023, 11:22:33 AM4/13/23
to vim_mac

> On Apr 12, 2023, at 6:11 PM, Chad Davis <chad....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since we're talking about vim and Obsidian I just wanted to throw out that the vim mode in Obsidian works really well IMO. You're probably already using it when using Obsidian itself but if not definitely check it out!

Thanks. I have it. Had a difficult time getting my few simple basic mappings accepted. In the end it turned out to be really simple. But that’s all I can say about it. I don’t remember HOW I did it.

Eric Weir

Apr 13, 2023, 11:55:20 AM4/13/23
to vim_mac

> On Apr 12, 2023, at 6:11 PM, Chad Davis <chad....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since we're talking about vim and Obsidian I just wanted to throw out that the vim mode in Obsidian works really well IMO. You're probably already using it when using Obsidian itself but if not definitely check it out!

Since you’re into Vim and Obsidian another question: Before getting into Obsidian I used markdown links to link notes/files. In Obsidian I initially continued with that but was ultimately persuaded that using wiki links was simpler. But when opened in Vim wiki links are not active.Perhaps there’s a way to use wiki links in Vim too. Perhaps you know how to do that. Meantime I will see what I can find about that on the web.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"Human coexistence and social life constitute the good common
to us all from which...all cultural and social goods derive."

- Zygmunt Bauman