Algol 68 Syntax - two minor fixes (NEW and STRUCT)

23 views
Skip to first unread message

Janis Papanagnou

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 11:17:40 PMSep 13
to vim...@vim.org
Hi Doug,

it just occurred to me that there's two things that should be checked/fixed:

(1) add of the (Genie specific) alternative symbol 'NEW' to the list containing
the allocators/generators
syn keyword algol68Type FLEX HEAP LOC REF NEW

(2) the 'STRUCT' keyword is currently appearing twice as
syn keyword algol68Struct STRUCT
syn keyword algol68Type FORMAT STRUCT UNION
As written, the first one is ineffective, and I'm unsure why it would need an
own type 'algol68Struct'; and that type syntax is even declared as "statement"
hi def link algol68Struct algol68Statement
which I think makes little sense. - I'd remove both lines with 'algol68Struct'
and keep the line where it's defined as 'algol68Type'. - Do you agree?

Would you be so kind to make those changes in file algol68.vim? - Thanks!

Regards,
Janis

Christian Brabandt

unread,
Sep 14, 2026, 3:07:44 PMSep 14
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Just for transparency: I left a comment at the current pending algol68
improvement PR https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/20849 to your message. I
am sure Doug will update it eventually.

Thanks,
Christian
--
Necessity hath no law.
-- Oliver Cromwell

Janis Papanagnou

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 8:40:12 AM (3 days ago) Oct 3
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your note, Christian!

Let's see when that "eventually" actually is. :-)
Currently he seems to be busy with other things.

Regards,
Janis

________________________________________
Von: vim...@googlegroups.com <vim...@googlegroups.com> im Auftrag von Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org>
Gesendet: Montag, 14. September 2026 21:07
An: vim...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: Algol 68 Syntax - two minor fixes (NEW and STRUCT)

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_dev/aqhF9BSPePwBCz1Z%40256bit.org.

Doug Kearns

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 9:53:59 AM (3 days ago) Oct 3
to vim...@googlegroups.com
G'day Janis,

On Sat, 3 Oct 2026 at 22:40, Janis Papanagnou
<janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your note, Christian!
>
> Let's see when that "eventually" actually is. :-)
> Currently he seems to be busy with other things.

The lawn does not mow itself... :)

See: https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/21435 That should, in the normal
course of events, be merged within the next couple of weeks.

When I started tackling operator declarations I got a bit carried away
one night and started to rewrite the syntax file to handle both the
Genie and GNU 'dialects' and all stropping regimes. It's heavily
based on the actual spec which is actually very nice to write a syntax
file against, despite the rumours. I think the spec is a work of art,
myself.

Do you have a strong interest in maintaining the syntax file in its
current form or are you mostly interested in it "Just Working"? I
don't want to run you over with a rewrite if you have work in progress
or want to keep it simple. I also started an indenter which relies
heavily on the syntax files.

I might not get back to this until the end of the year, after the
spring growth in the paddocks has been slashed.

Regards,
Doug

Janis Papanagnou

unread,
Oct 3, 2026, 10:59:01 AM (3 days ago) Oct 3
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug!

Thanks for your email and the heads-up! :-)

Concerning your plans, status, and all that... - and my position.

My primary intention with the syntax file was that there is
something available to support my current interest, Algol 68.
Given that I never looked into Vim's syntax capabilities beyond
what I've initially done to support all the Genie features it's the
sad fact that with my only basic expertise on this I cannot do
all the more advanced things; so I very much appreciate all you
do in that respect!

Concerning the various stropping regimes; I think - or thought
before I read your optimistic email - that it would not only be a
demanding task, but rather got the impression that especially
the "Super" stropping that "ga68" intends to (or does?) support
might require deeper knowledge of the syntax and semantics
of Algol 68 than what would be possible to implement with the
syntax mechanisms that Vim provides. This impression that I
got might be wrong, though, so if you say such a beast would
be feasible to implement I'm of course fine with that. - My only
reservations on that would be that if it's a huge and complex
thing it could last ("too") long to be implemented in Vim-syntax.
And it should be clear whether it's *possible* to be implemented
beforehand! - But if you're sure or confident then it's of course
okay, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Generally I prefer the simple to the complex solutions, mainly
because of my observations that the complex things often fail
to get finished, and then we would have got nothing. - If you
feel confident that it's achievable... - what can I tell? Go ahead! :-)

I certainly feel your motivation to make a piece of artwork here;
the Algol 68 syntax is an interesting and challenging thing. And
I admit that I had a similar thought; only dismissed it because I
would not be able (with my current knowledge) to implement
the Vim syntax file for all that myself.

Please keep me informed about your progress or obstacles you
encounter - if your time allows it! - I'm definitely interested!

I'm not sure about the "indenter" you mentioned, and what it is.
(A code beautifier? Or something else?) And how it is related to
the stropping theme. So I cannot say anything here.

Good luck with the lawn and the paddocks getting mown and
slashed, and with the syntax file. :-)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Janis

PS: When you've successfully finished your demanding project it
would, IMHO, make sense if you'd then be named as maintainer
of the Algol 68 Vim syntax file. (For practical considerations and
also because of all the effort you've spent on it.)

________________________________________
Von: vim...@googlegroups.com <vim...@googlegroups.com> im Auftrag von Doug Kearns <dougk...@gmail.com>
Gesendet: Samstag, 3. Oktober 2026 15:53


An: vim...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: Algol 68 Syntax - two minor fixes (NEW and STRUCT)

G'day Janis,

Regards,
Doug

--


--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+u...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_dev/CAJ1uvoC1WQCNWev8WA1mptLjERyO4Ze%3Dd%3D94KWBE7rriS2v4TA%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages