Health update

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 27, 2022, 2:55:04 PM10/27/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I am very sorry to report that I have a medical problem. I fainted and
have been taken to hospital to find out what is wrong. Tests need to be
done, which will take time. I won't be able to do much Vim stuff for a
few days.

I am in La Laguna medical hospital in Tenerife, they say the best in the
area. It is very busy, need to wait for tests, which can be more than a
day. They take fairly good care of me and I have friends helping out.
I hope I have a diagnosis in a couple of days, then we'll see.

Please hang in there, if my head is clear I'll try to go through a few
PR (pick out the simple things :-). If only to keep me from going
bored.

--
CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
There are legs stick out of windows and doors. Two MEN are fighting in the

/// \\\
\\\ sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///

Christ van Willegen

Oct 27, 2022, 2:56:36 PM10/27/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Op do 27 okt. 2022 20:55 schreef Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net>:

I am very sorry to report that I have a medical problem.

Beterschap!!

Christ van Willegen

Anton Sharonov

Oct 27, 2022, 3:05:31 PM10/27/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Get well soon, Bram!

---

Nikolaï

Oct 27, 2022, 5:59:11 PM10/27/22
to vim_dev
Come back to us soon in great shape.
Believe hard as iron.
Nicolas

Maxim Kim

Oct 28, 2022, 1:32:16 AM10/28/22
to vim_dev
Hi Bram, we are all glad to hear you are more or less OK.
Please, have a rest, PRs will wait.

четверг, 27 октября 2022 г. в 23:55:04 UTC+5, Bram Moolenaar:

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 28, 2022, 4:05:05 AM10/28/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar

Update: Tests are being carried out. It does look like this will be
taking time, but we can only know after the doctor has judged the
results. At least I can now use my laptop while sitting on the bed.
Slow progress. But I should be able to commit changes if needed.
I'll look into that reported crash...

Thanks for all the wishes, it helps a lot to know you are caring.

--
Friends? I have lots of friends! In fact, I have all episodes ever made.

Tony Mechelynck

Oct 28, 2022, 5:44:18 AM10/28/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar
On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 10:05 AM Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for all the wishes, it helps a lot to know you are caring.

Indeed we care. Take care of your health, and in the meantime we'll
try to take care of Vim as best we can.

Best regards,
Tony.

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 30, 2022, 2:14:32 PM10/30/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Update: I am waiting for test results. Slowly doing more, walking
around a bit. I managed to make CI green again, let's take that
as proof that my head is OK :-). Older commits still need updates,
description and tags. It will be good if someone can suggest the git
commands for that.

Please also keep creating PRs, it's easier to include those than
creating a fix myself (with regression tests and the like).

Also thanks again for all the best wishes, it helps to keep my spirit
up!

--
Female engineers become irresistible at the age of consent and remain that
way until about thirty minutes after their clinical death. Longer if it's a

ben.k...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2022, 11:39:41 AM10/31/22
to vim_dev
For tags, you ought to be able to run `git tag -a <tag name> <committish>` (`git help rev-parse` for SPECIFYING REVISIONS might help).

I'm not sure about updates/descriptions, but I would consider using `git rebase -i <last good commit>`. Then for fixing descriptions make the line say `reword …` instead of `pick …`. If you need to actually change the commit more substantially, probably `edit` is better (`git help rebase` for INTERACTIVE MODE). Note that `git rebase` in this way will require a `push --force-with-lease` to push the new commits, and it may cause some pain for anyone who has the bad commits and needs to get the re-written version. Generally the advice is to not rebase public commits; if you want to change them, though, you don't have much choice. The only alternative is to publish new commits with corrections, I think.

Christian Brabandt

Nov 2, 2022, 6:58:04 AM11/2/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Bram Moolenaar
[re-sending, because I used the wrong E-Mail account :(]

Am 2022-10-30 19:14, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
> Update: I am waiting for test results. Slowly doing more, walking
> around a bit. I managed to make CI green again, let's take that
> as proof that my head is OK :-). Older commits still need updates,
> description and tags. It will be good if someone can suggest the git
> commands for that.

I think it is too late to fix anything in the actual commits. Just
leave it as it is,
otherwise you may cause a lot of grief to users of the repo. I think
we can live with some missing descriptions
and tags/commits without any contents. As mentioned, for a public
repository we cannot change the history (I have accidentally done that
on the vim-airline repository for a few commits and received a lot of
complaints after that).

> Also thanks again for all the best wishes, it helps to keep my spirit
> up!

I am late to the party, since I also was offline for more than week
and had to take care of my son.

But please: Take care of yourself first. That should be first
priority. After all, it's just some code. It can wait for some time :)

If there is anything I can help you with regards to the vim stuff, let
me know.

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity and donate something for Uganda
and encourage the community to do the same :)

Best and please take care of yourself,
Chris

Bram Moolenaar

Nov 2, 2022, 8:00:33 AM11/2/22
to Christian Brabandt, vim...@googlegroups.com

Christian wrote:

> Am 2022-10-30 19:14, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
> > Update: I am waiting for test results. Slowly doing more, walking
> > around a bit. I managed to make CI green again, let's take that
> > as proof that my head is OK :-). Older commits still need updates,
> > description and tags. It will be good if someone can suggest the git
> > commands for that.
>
> I think it is too late to fix anything in the actual commits. Just leave
> it as it is,
> otherwise you may cause a lot of grief to users of the repo. I think we
> can live with some missing descriptions
> and tags/commits without any contents. As mentioned, for a public
> repository we cannot change the history (I have accidentally done that
> on the vim-airline repository for a few commits and received a lot of
> complaints after that).

OK. Changing commits would be rewriting history, that sounds like
something we don't want, even though it looks like some commits were not
done right. I tried creating diffs from the tagged commits, but those
are a bit messy too. I'll not try to fix more, unless someone can tell
me the git commands that will make something better. E.g. updating the
description to say what the commit is really about. But only if this
won't have undesired side effects.

> > Also thanks again for all the best wishes, it helps to keep my spirit
> > up!
>
> I am late to the party, since I also was offline for more than week and
> had to take care of my son.
>
> But please: Take care of yourself first. That should be first priority.
> After all, it's just some code. It can wait for some time :)

Vim is like a son to me :-).

> If there is anything I can help you with regards to the vim stuff, let
> me know.
>
> Also, I'd like to take the opportunity and donate something for Uganda
> and encourage the community to do the same :)

Always good!

- Bram

6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.

Tony Mechelynck

Nov 2, 2022, 1:29:10 PM11/2/22
to Bram Moolenaar, Christian Brabandt, vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 1:00 PM Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
[...]
> OK. Changing commits would be rewriting history, that sounds like
> something we don't want, even though it looks like some commits were not
> done right. I tried creating diffs from the tagged commits, but those
> are a bit messy too. I'll not try to fix more, unless someone can tell
> me the git commands that will make something better. E.g. updating the
> description to say what the commit is really about. But only if this
> won't have undesired side effects.
[...]
IIUC, the 40-nybble commit ID is computed from the parent's ID and
everything in the new commit including the description (but not the
tag(s) if any, which are added afterwards). This would mean that
changing a description would actually mean deleting a commit and
everything descended from it, then recreating all these deleted
commits with different contents (and in particular different IDs),
thus making the repository incompatible with any users' repositories
where any of the now deleted commits had been downloaded.

I agree with Christian: leave it as-is, it is not perfect (perfection
is not of this world) but we can live with it.

Best regards,
Tony.

Bram Moolenaar

Nov 4, 2022, 3:01:19 PM11/4/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Brief info: I am receiving treatment and it is going very well. More
tests are needed and more treatment may be needed, but so far it is
looking good. I hope to be home again next week. But don't expect full
speed bug fixing just yet! :-)

Please do keep creating PRs, it's easier to handle those than to create
fixes myself.

Thanks for all the wishes, it helps a lot to know you are caring.

--
Friends? I have lots of friends! In fact, I have all episodes ever made.

Yee Cheng Chin

Nov 4, 2022, 5:33:46 PM11/4/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I agree that we shouldn't go change Git history.

One way we could fix this is by making an empty commit after the fact, with just the description of what you wanted to do. So something like
git commit --allow-empty -m "patch 9.0.1234 something do something\n\n(empty commit to add back description)\nProblem…"
Someone looking at the Git history could be slightly confused but at least there's something there in the history as a record. It wasn't that many commits anyway to be too confusing.

Another way to do this is to revert the commit and then commit again, with the description. This way, the commit the patch again with message would actually contain the diff so Git blame would work better, but it could be a little convoluted if someone is digging through history and see the commit->revert->commit. But it would be something like:
git revert <problematic_commit>
git revert --no-commit HEAD
git commit -m "patch 9.0.12345\n\nsome message…"
git show # Just to sanity check you did the right things
git show HEAD~
Glad to hear you are doing well! I'm submitting a couple related smoothscroll bug fixes, but please just take a look when you have time.

---

N i c o l a s

Dec 21, 2022, 4:14:02 PM12/21/22
to vim_dev
Good evening everyone and Bram in particular.
I just wanted to know if it was possible to have news of your health which I hope has now fully recovered.
Thank you.  Have a good evening.  Nicholas

Bram Moolenaar

Dec 22, 2022, 8:11:04 AM12/22/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com, N i c o l a s

> Good evening everyone and Bram in particular.
> I just wanted to know if it was possible to have news of your health which
> I hope has now fully recovered.

Everything is OK now. Thanks for caring.

--
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear that, eh?

puremo...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2022, 5:54:15 AM12/23/22
to vim_dev
That's so great to hear. Glad you're feeling better, Bram.

N i c o l a s

Dec 24, 2022, 7:29:57 AM12/24/22
to vim_dev
Glad to hear that. May the Christmas and end of year celebrations be the best and peaceful for you Bram. And all of you who contribute to Vim Improved.
N i c o l a s