I started making a few changes to continue with Vim. This is the current
- Access to the github organization is possible and Ken and me have been
granted admin rights by Brams family, so we can continue with Github.
- I invited a few more members to join the Vim organization: Yegappan
Lakshmanan, Dominique Pellé, @mattn and @zeertzjq who have been
contributed to Vim in the past. Congratulations and welcome guys! ;)
- People from the github organization should also have access to
) where security problems
are being reported. We'll need to take a look there.
- I merged the first 2 commits. As mentioned elsewhere, for now I will
try to merge only bug fixes, security related fixes, documentation
updates and other clear improvements. For the main source of Vim I'll
therefore like to have approval from the other project members before
merging anything yet. Please expect some bumps here, we need a bit of
time until we know how to properly handle all of this (and it may be
subject to change, when we all agree of a better method).
- After we have gone through the current backlog, I'd like to get a Vim
9.1 maintenance release ready, until then we should continue with
incrementing the minor patch version. After the release, I am thinking
about moving to a more modern approach, similar to how Neovim is doing
it. But as discussed elsewhere, this may have some consequences for
the various subprojects: vim-win32-installer, vim-appimage, macVim, so
not sure what will be the best way.
- I have access to the OSDN.net project page and am able to edit the
homepage. However for various reasons, we may have to move the
Vim homepage elsewhere. More on that further down.
- Bram was owner of the all of the mailing lists. I don't know yet how
he managed this and how to request access specifically for
vim-announce and vim-mac (is this actually still used?) Does anybody
have a contact to the googlegroups admins?
- The mailing lists vim-dev and vim-use are currently managed by myself,
Tony Mechelynk, John Beckett, Ben Schmidt and Ben Fritz (of whom I
think the last two are no longer active at least for the Vim project,
CC'ing them to see if they are still interested in managing this)
- The Vim Domain is managed by @sec (CC'ed). Can you please confirm, you
will be taking care of extending the domains (I think this is vim.org
and possibly iccf-holland.org
- I don't have access yet to the main Vim FTP Server. Currently checking
with Brams family if they know the credentials. (CC'ed)
- I am reaching out to all maintainers of the runtime files, to find out
if they have sent anything directly to Bram, which may otherwise be
lost. (to be done).
Regarding the Vim Homepage, as you may all know, we have had problems
with the stability of it for the past months, in particular the
connection to the MySQL Server (I am also currently unable to access the
vim project page directly, as osdn.net/projects/vim
seems to be down for
me, but I doubt that this page is actually being used by anybody). It is
currently run by OSDN.net as offered by Shuji Sado (former CEO) since
2018. Unfortunately, OSDN.net is apparently now being owned by OSChina
and we currently do not have any support by OSDN.net or OSChina teams.
@Shuji, thank you for maintaining the Vim Website since 2018 and all the
best for the future!
I've reached out to OSChina regarding what their plans are, but haven't
received any answers yet. Therefore I am also considering to move the
Vim homepage to another provider. A good friend of mine, Marc Schöchlin
offered to take care of the hosting. The Vim project is very thankful
for the kind offer!
Please note: This is just a consideration however, nothing has been
The hosting consists of the following:
- PHP Files with access to a MySQL Database. I think it is currently
using PHP 5, which seems to have reached end-of-life.
- Vims Source in form of a Mercurial repository (which is mirrored from
). Is anybody actually using the mercurial
repository (except for Tony ;)) ?
- Sourceforge (where the vim homepage was hosted until 2018) recently
announced to migrate to php7 in 2 weeks. But I don't know, if this is
supported by the Vim homepage (at least https://vim.sourceforge.io/
does not seem to work with PHP 7 when testing using:
- expected traffic: 200-500k/moths page visits
- Since I have access to the OSDN Shell Server, I can create a DB dump
and move the content elsewhere, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Once the hosting has been settled and we have proper contacts, I'll
share the account credentials with the team. I can't do it right now,
since this requires support from OSDN.net which we are currently
@Sec Please be aware that we need to move the Vim Domains if we decide
to move the homepage.
In the past, I have discussed with Bram to open-source the homepage, so
that we will be able to take contributions and be able to keep it
up-to-date and maybe have it more modern looking. However Bram did not
want that, worrying to leak any sensitive information (or make it more
easily discoverable any potential problems). That is certainly a valid
point, so don't know how to handle it yet.
That should be it for now, i hope I did not forget anything noteworthy.
Let me know what you think.
Was deprimierend ist: Du bist wie alle anderen. Was tröstlich ist:
Alle anderen sind wie du.
-- Johannes Groß