Vim 8.0 released!

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 12, 2016, 8:53:54 AM9/12/16
to vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org

Hello Vim users!

Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0

This the first major Vim release in ten years. There are interesting
new features, many small improvements and lots of bug fixes.

Among the new features are:
- Asynchronous I/O support, channels, JSON
- Jobs
- Timers
- Partials, Lambdas and Closures
- Packages
- New style testing
- Viminfo merged by timestamp
- GTK+ 3 support
- MS-Windows DirectX support

Once you have installed Vim 8.0 you can find details about the changes
since Vim 7.4 with:
:help version8
Or view it online:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vim/vim/master/runtime/doc/version8.txt

Gratitude
---------

If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org

Where to get it
---------------

The best way to obtain the latest Vim is using Git. Summary:
git clone https://github.com/vim/vim.git
More information here: http://www.vim.org/git.php

For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80.exe

Information about which files to download for what system:
http://www.vim.org/download.php

A list of mirror sites can be found here:
http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

The files available for download:

UNIX:
sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-8.0.tar.bz2

VARIOUS:
help files converted to HTML:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/doc/vim80html.zip

MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80.exe

MS-WINDOWS separate files:
Runtime files:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim80rt.zip
GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80.zip
GUI binary with OLE support:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80ole.zip
Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim80w32.zip
Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim80src.zip

For debugging:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim80ole.pdb
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/vim80w32.pdb

AMIGA:
Only runtime and sources are provided, no binary:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/amiga/vim80rt.tgz
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/amiga/vim80src.tgz

Omitted in this version are:
- The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
- The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
- The 16 bit MS-Windows version

Mailing lists

Subject specific lists:
Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
already have given the answer.

Reporting bugs
--------------

Send them to <vim...@vim.org>. Please describe the problem precisely.
All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim.

Alternatively, create an issue at github and/or a pull request.
Please try to write a test that reproduces the problem and will pass
once it is fixed. See https://github.com/vim/vim

Happy Vimming!

--
"Marriage is a wonderful institution...
but who wants to live in an institution?"

h_east

Sep 12, 2016, 9:15:14 AM9/12/16
to vim_dev, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
Hi Bram and Vim developers and users!

Congrats!!

I'll continue to write a patch in the future :-)
--
Best regards,
Hirohito Higashi (a.k.a. h_east)

skywind3000

Sep 12, 2016, 11:51:32 AM9/12/16
Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Hello Vim users!
>

> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0
>

> This the first major Vim release in ten years. There are interesting
> new features, many small improvements and lots of bug fixes.

At last !
Hope package maintainers of debian / ubuntu can update vim to version 8.0
as soon as possible.

LCD 47

Sep 12, 2016, 12:04:39 PM9/12/16
to vim...@vim.org
On 12 September 2016, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Hello Vim users!
>

> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0
[...]

Congratulations!

/lcd

Christian J. Robinson

Sep 12, 2016, 12:33:00 PM9/12/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com

I just updated. Things like ":intro" and ":version" show 8.0, but
":echo v:version" still shows "704".

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <hep...@gmail.com>
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is

skywind3000

Sep 12, 2016, 12:47:21 PM9/12/16
to vim_dev, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
I just wonder is it possible to make a embedded terminal in vim by using python + timer ?

If so, that will be unnecessary to write a terminal in C any more.

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 12, 2016, 12:58:39 PM9/12/16
to Christian J. Robinson, vim...@googlegroups.com

Christian Robinson wrote:

> I just updated. Things like ":intro" and ":version" show 8.0, but
> ":echo v:version" still shows "704".

If v:version says 704, then it's 7.4.
Sounds like you are running an older binary with newer runtime files.

251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.

Christian J. Robinson

Sep 12, 2016, 1:02:58 PM9/12/16
to Bram Moolenaar, vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Christian Robinson wrote:
>
>> I just updated. Things like ":intro" and ":version" show 8.0, but
>> ":echo v:version" still shows "704".
>
> If v:version says 704, then it's 7.4.
> Sounds like you are running an older binary with newer runtime files.

I am not. Read my message again. ":intro" and ":version" both say
8.0, and those are compiled into the binary and not affected by
runtime files, just like v:version.

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <hep...@gmail.com>
A conservative is a liberal who just got mugged.

Christian J. Robinson

Sep 12, 2016, 1:26:55 PM9/12/16
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Christian J. Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
>> Christian Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I just updated. Things like ":intro" and ":version" show 8.0, but
>>> ":echo v:version" still shows "704".
>>
>> If v:version says 704, then it's 7.4.
>> Sounds like you are running an older binary with newer runtime
>> files.
>
> I am not. Read my message again. ":intro" and ":version" both say
> 8.0, and those are compiled into the binary and not affected by
> runtime files, just like v:version.

The build I did under Linux worked as expected, so I forced a full
rebuild under Windows and now v:version shows "800" as it should.

Sorry for the false bug report.

- Christian

--
Christian J. Robinson <hep...@gmail.com>
Reality -- what a concept! -- Robin Williams

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 12, 2016, 1:51:38 PM9/12/16

Christian Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > Christian Robinson wrote:
> >
> >> I just updated. Things like ":intro" and ":version" show 8.0, but
> >> ":echo v:version" still shows "704".
> >
> > If v:version says 704, then it's 7.4.
> > Sounds like you are running an older binary with newer runtime files.
>
> I am not. Read my message again. ":intro" and ":version" both say
> 8.0, and those are compiled into the binary and not affected by
> runtime files, just like v:version.

Well, then I don't know what you did, but something went wrong.
Vim 8.0 certainly has v:version set to 800.

253. You wait for a slow loading web page before going to the toilet.

Wei Huang

Sep 13, 2016, 12:44:55 AM9/13/16
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 8:53:54 PM UTC+8, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Hello Vim users!
>

> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0
>

> This the first major Vim release in ten years. There are interesting
> new features, many small improvements and lots of bug fixes.

Congratulations and Thank you Bram!

I've upgraded my MacVim, which is 8.0 already.

Marcin Szamotulski

Sep 13, 2016, 4:17:46 AM9/13/16
to vim...@googlegroups.com, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
Congrats and thanks for the work!

Marcin
> --
> --
>
> ---
signature.asc

Tumbler Terrall

Sep 13, 2016, 10:28:23 AM9/13/16
to vim_use, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org

> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0
>

> This the first major Vim release in ten years. There are interesting
> new features, many small improvements and lots of bug fixes.

Awesome! Thanks for everything!

Oh, just curious. Are you going to update the download link on vim.org since 8.0.0 doesn't work with with netrw? ;)

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Sep 13, 2016, 10:29:30 AM9/13/16
to vim_dev
Hi Bram,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Br...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Hello Vim users!
>
> Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 8.0

Congratulations on releasing the 25th anniversary edition of Vim.
Thanks for spending 25 years of your life on improving developer
productivity across the world.

Regards,
Yegappan

Bram Moolenaar

Sep 13, 2016, 3:59:25 PM9/13/16
to Tumbler Terrall, vim_use, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
I already updated download links. I don't think any one points
specifically to 8.0.0, I replaced the files with 8.0.2. That was within
an hour or so.

--
Two fish in a tank. One says to the other:
"Do you know how to drive this thing?"

Lars Bahner

Sep 13, 2016, 6:21:04 PM9/13/16
to vim_dev, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
Thanks a bunch!

I finally got my head out of my **** and sent 0.1 Bitcoins to The Cause™:-) I care about the people in Uganda too.

Keep up the good work!

- bahner

Wuh Orp

Sep 13, 2016, 7:12:10 PM9/13/16
to vim_dev, kingdom...@gmail.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org
Thank you for this new Vim release! I am loving the new features.

https://github.com/w0rp/ale

I have already started working on a plugin for linting while you type which uses the new asynchronous execution features. It seems to work now for flake8 and eslint. I'll add more tools as I need them, or as people as for them.

Hopefully this will be useful for others, and other plugins will start taking advantage of asynchronous execution too.