Changes to the Vim project

34 views
Skip to first unread message

Christian Brabandt

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 4:14:48 PM (yesterday) Oct 5
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Dear community,
First some good news: I am pleased to announce that 64-bitman has joined
the Vim project as co-maintainer. He has contributed significant
features like Wayland, the socketserver, the GTK4 UI and the image
feature as well as fixed many bug reports.

I have also noticed a few issues around the Vim community that I think
need to be addressed, so I am making the following changes:

1) I created a PR to introduce a Code of Conduct
(https://github.com/vim/vim/pull/21456). This is targeted for both the
Github project as well as the Vim mailing list. I think it should be
obvious and common sense, but I wanted to have clear rules and
consequences documented. The Code of Conduct has been adapted from
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/3/0/code_of_conduct/ and
adjusted to the Vim project.

It is not aimed at anyone in particular but meant as a general
guideline. Please feel free to comment.

2) The same PR also aims to restrict the use of AI. We have seen a lot
of AI generated PRs and it is becoming more and more a headache to try
to review any non-trivial code changes, especially those that change a
couple of thousand lines of code. In the current form I believe this is
not reviewable and I fear it may harm the stability of Vim as a
platform. Nevertheless I have tried to review those PRs but in the
future I'll reserve the right to close such PRs.

3) Closely related to the previous point is the increasing number of
changes that are submitted by the use of AI. I have decided to slow down
and no longer try to keep up with those incoming changes. I have spent
almost all of my spare time in the past years on Vim and it's been more
than I can handle. I need to step back a bit to stay healthy. This also
gives the community time to review and influence where Vim is heading,
rather than being me deciding everything.

4) I have decided to disable the Github bridge that forwarded Github
notifications to the vim_dev mailing list. I think the benefit was
rather doubtful: Google sometimes blocked the sender as spam, sometimes
were duplicated and it never really worked as well as I wanted.
In addition it made the vim-dev mailing list useless, there are almost
no conversations happening there. If you are interested in the changes
to Vims github project, I recommend to create a Github account and click
on the "Watch" button for the Vim project. You will then get
notifications by mail and can reply to them directly.

I hope those changes will keep the Vim community healthy and allow for a
better future of the Vim project. Thanks for reading.

Best,
Christian
--
Nicht Mangel an Ideen - denn man hat immer welche -, sondern an neuen
macht Langweile.
-- Jean Paul
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages