Problem watching Github notifications

16 views
Skip to first unread message

Gary Johnson

unread,
Oct 6, 2026, 4:38:18 PM (2 days ago) Oct 6
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On 2026-10-05, Christian Brabandt wrote in "Changes to the Vim
project":

> 4) I have decided to disable the Github bridge that forwarded Github
> notifications to the vim_dev mailing list. I think the benefit was
> rather doubtful: Google sometimes blocked the sender as spam, sometimes
> were duplicated and it never really worked as well as I wanted.
> In addition it made the vim-dev mailing list useless, there are almost
> no conversations happening there. If you are interested in the changes
> to Vims github project, I recommend to create a Github account and click
> on the "Watch" button for the Vim project. You will then get
> notifications by mail and can reply to them directly.

I tried to set my GitHub account to watch notifications to the
vim/vim project, but ran into a problem: I need the name of the
organization that owns the vim/vim repository.

I have two email addresses set up at my ISP. One is for technical
mailing lists such as vim_dev and vim_use. Email to this address
goes to a Linux machine running a program similar to procmail which
deposits messages in different mailboxes, one for each mailing list.
The other address is my general email address and is the default
address for my GitHub account. I read it using my ISP's web mailer.

With this change to disable the GitHub bridge, the best way for me
to follow the goings on with the vim/vim project is to watch the
notifications as suggested above. (Polling the vim/vim GitHub pages
would be horribly inefficient.) For reasons I'll skip for now,
using my default email address for project notifications does not
work well. I discovered that GitHub can send notifications to an
email address different from the default. I have set up and
verified my technical mailing list address for this purpose.

However, one of the steps in doing Custom Routing of notifications
(on https://github.com/settings/notifications/custom_routing) is to
pick the organization that owns the repository. What is the
organization that owns the vim/vim repository?

Regards,
Gary

Hisashi T Fujinaka

unread,
Oct 6, 2026, 5:09:25 PM (2 days ago) Oct 6
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I looked into this and it said I needed to be an admin to receive commit
notifications. It was hard to find, but it's in the docs. I think the old
solution (subscribing vim_dev to commits) is the only easy solution I
saw unless you want to make everyone an admin.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - ht...@twofifty.com
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee

Christian Brabandt

unread,
Oct 7, 2026, 1:32:15 PM (18 hours ago) Oct 7
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Di, 06 Okt 2026, Gary Johnson wrote:

> However, one of the steps in doing Custom Routing of notifications
> (on https://github.com/settings/notifications/custom_routing) is to
> pick the organization that owns the repository. What is the
> organization that owns the vim/vim repository?

It seems custom routing is only possible if you are a member of that
organization. Meaning you would need to be a member of the Vim github
project.

The only other alternative I see is to register at githubg with a new
e-mail account.


Christian
--
Indeed, the first noble truth of Buddhism, usually translated as
`all life is suffering,' is more accurately rendered `life is filled
with a sense of pervasive unsatisfactoriness.'
-- M. D. Epstein
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages