Moving the Vim Homepage

Christian Brabandt

Sep 21, 2023, 8:42:37 AM9/21/23
to v...@vim.org, vim_an...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
as you may have noticed, we have had some issues with the Vim.org
Homepage and https:// access (see also issue
https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/13079). It's actually even getting
worse as there does no longer seem to be any valid ssl certificate
available, while previously, only 1 out of 2 requests used an old ssl
cert.

I have no idea what is actually going on and my request for help to
osdn.net and the OSChina did not succeed :(

So we will be moving the Vim Homepage again. It depends a bit how fast
we can get the infrastructure up and running and then we need to move
the DNS record. I hope it should be doable until the end of the month
*fingerscrossed*.

In any case, once I know more details, I'll announce a maintenance
window for the vim.org homepage here and on vim.org so that we can
migrate the database properly and hopefully from then on, we will have a
better maintained vim.org homepage again.

@CC to our future homepage maintainer and the DNS admin so they know
that something will be coming.

Thanks,
Christian

Christian Brabandt

Sep 24, 2023, 1:35:58 PM9/24/23
to vim_an...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, jchous...@wavecon.de, m...@256bit.org, s...@42.org, shuj...@gmail.com
Dear all,
as you all know, we have had quite a few issues with our current hosting
provider for the vim.org homepage. Therefore, I'd like to announce,
that we'll be moving to a new hoster on tuesday, September 26th, 2023.

I will set the database on the current OSDN instance at 20:00 CEST
(14:00 EST) o'clock to readonly mode and so should be the old homepage.
I'll also add a banner that this is the old homepage. Hopefully the
switch will be done fast enough, that nobody notices it and we can
finally continue to use the new homepage with proper database
connections and ssl certificates.

However, the code is at the same time switched from the current php 5
version to a new php 8 installation, which required a rewrite of some of
the php pages and sql queries. Hopefully everything will still work as
expected. The new IP address should then be 31.172.117.18

In case of any questions, please redirect them to the vim_dev mailing
list.

Finally, I'd like to thank a few people involved:

- First of all, I'd like to thank Marc Schöchlin, who offered to take
care of the new Vim.org homepage hosting and at the same time, spend
some considerable amount of time to rewrite the homepage to php8.

- I'd also like to thank Shuji Sado who supported us with the old
OSDN.net hosting.

- I'd also like to thank Jeff Chousterman and wavestack cloud for
offering the infrastructure of the vim.org homepage. This should give
us a modern and reliable base for the future.

- And last but not least, thanks to Stefan Zehl for maintaining the DNS
for such a long time.

With all of your support this wouldn't be so easily possible!

Thanks,
Christian

Christian Brabandt

Sep 26, 2023, 4:05:47 PM9/26/23
to vim_an...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, vim...@googlegroups.com, jchous...@wavecon.de, m...@256bit.org, s...@42.org
Dear all,
the homepage has been moved to our new provider wavestack. It should be
much more stable and performant again.

There may still be some problems with the old php code, so if you notice
anything, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Best,
Christian
--
The fancy is indeed no other than a mode of memory emancipated from the order
of space and time. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge