Vim 8 pre-announcement

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 16, 2016, 12:44:23 PM8/16/16
to vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org

Hello Vim users,

Work on Vim 8.0 is coming close to an end. I hope version 8.0 can be
released in about two weeks.

This is a last chance to modify new features in a way that is not
backwards compatible. Once 8.0 is out we can't make changes that would
break plugins.

An overview of new features can be found in:
https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/doc/version8.txt
A version with links (but a day older):
http://vimhelp.appspot.com/version8.txt.html

Please review the new features, try them out and report what should be
changed on the vim-dev maillist. Of course you should also report bugs
you find.

Happy Vimming!

PS. If you are interested in meeting Vim users: Vimfest is happening in
Berlin Sept. 16-18. http://vimfest.org

9. As often as possible, skip rather than walk.

Bram Moolenaar

Aug 17, 2016, 5:18:12 PM8/17/16
to skywind3000, vim_dev, vim-an...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org, v...@vim.org, vim...@vim.org

Skywind3000 wrote:

> > Hello Vim users,
> >
> > Work on Vim 8.0 is coming close to an end. I hope version 8.0 can be
> > released in about two weeks.
> >
> > This is a last chance to modify new features in a way that is not
> > backwards compatible. Once 8.0 is out we can't make changes that would
> > break plugins.
>
> Can we have a binary mode in channels ? Which could be used to implement
> a virtual terminal inside vim in VimScript.
>
> According to the ":help channel", There is a "raw" mode in channels, but it
> will treat the whole message as a string, not a binary data.

Raw mode is nearly binary. The only limitation I'm aware of is that it
can't handle NUL bytes. And since there is no way to deal with binary
data anyway in Vim script, it's probably the only thing possible.

An alternative is NL mode, then you get lines at a time where NUL bytes
have been changed to NL bytes. But it will be stuck waiting for the
next NL.

--
This planet has -- or rather had -- a problem, which was this: most
of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time.