Get errors in quickfix list instead of location list

Aaron Heesakkers

Sep 19, 2013, 12:45:22 PM9/19/13
to vim-sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is it possible for systastic to show errors in the quickfix window instead of the location list? Or, is there any reason why syntastic chose the location list over the quickfix window? I'm fairly new to these parts of vim so there might be an obvious reason I'm missing here.

I guess the main reason for my confusion is this blogpost, where Thomas Upton does seem to have errors displayed in the quickfix window: http://blog.thomasupton.com/2012/05/syntastic/. Not only does he write "You can use the :Errors command to open a quickfix window with a list of all errors in the file." but he included a screenshot where VIM does say "quickfix".

My minor annoyance with the location list is that it shows up when I use the command :Errors, but the quickfix commands like :cn don't work and return "No Errors". It seems the quickfix commands and window are specifically made for these purposes. I know I can use :ll, :lnext, :lprev. But I'd like to know why it uses the location list and not the quickfix window.

Also, is there a way to automatically show the errors on :w, instead of running :Errors manually?

Thanks!

Aaron Heesakkers

Sep 19, 2013, 2:02:02 PM9/19/13
to vim-sy...@googlegroups.com
I found the answer to the last question: syntastic_auto_loc_list setting.

Thomas Upton

Apr 8, 2015, 4:39:38 PM4/8/15
to vim-sy...@googlegroups.com

That blog post is nearly three years old! I’m glad that someone still reads my posts even though I haven’t been very active recently.

Back then, syntastic used the quickfix window. They switched some time ago (I’m not totally sure when, but it’s been a while) to use the location list, presumably because the location list is per-buffer. See this github issue for more color: https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic/issues/43. Strangely, that issue predates my blog post, but it’s possible that I was using an older-but-stable version of syntastic at the time I wrote that post and took those screenshots.

I still use syntastic every single day. Thankfully, the location list has commands that are very similar to the quickfix window but prefixed with l instead of c. If you look at :help quickfix, there’s a blurb about the location list commands right before the commands are listed.

I personally use :Errors (basically equivalent to :lopen but re-populates with syntastic checker results), :lnext, and :lprev to interact with syntastic results in my regular workflow.

Aaron Heesakkers

Apr 10, 2015, 4:57:33 AM4/10/15
to vim-sy...@googlegroups.com
Haha. Nice conversation spanning 3 years :) Thanks for your reply!